Nice to see the new HD channels are on

Yikes! Just watching Haunting on Discovery HD and they are doing some panoramic kind of thing where the center of the screen in normal but as you move to the sides of the screen the picture gets more and more stretched. Very bad looking!

Yikes! Just watching Haunting on Discovery HD and they are doing some panoramic kind of thing where the center of the screen in normal but as you move to the sides of the screen the picture gets more and more stretched. Very bad looking!

I have an Olevia 32" LCD upstairs and it has a panoramic setting that looks just like you are describing. Why a manufacturer would waste an aspect ratio setting on that is beyond me. It looks like a fun house mirror.

The PQ seems very good to my eyes. On my oldy Panasonic 53" RS I've noticed on the MPEG4 channels (most noticable on Nat Geo) there is a sometime tendency for a bluish outline on the right side of faces. Never see that with the MPEG2 stations. But so far on the new MPEG4 channels I haven't seen it at all. The PQ looks outstanding to me. (I'm speaking only about the PQ as piped by Dish. They have no control over the stretchovision).

"Really Big Things" on Discovery HD looks great right now. Full 16x9. Aerial shots looked great. Even the wife said.. "Now that's HD"

"Really Big Things" on Discovery HD looks great right now. Full 16x9. Aerial shots looked great. Even the wife said.. "Now that's HD"
I yelled for my wife to come upstairs to watch the Burj Dubai / Ski Dubai segment. I got to ski in there last May, but the video I took was all 15fps and 320x200 with my Olympus. The HD camera work looks much better.

The pictures I took of the Burj Dubai were taken when it was only 42 stories tall. The current state is 145 stories, over 100 more than when I was there in May 2006. For more, check out Burj Dubai Official Website.

Mythbusters looks like SD zoomed, though.

Referring to the Myth Busters episode last night following Really Big Things:

Myth Busters PQ did not look as sharp and detailed as Really Big Things on my 720p 30" LCD HDTV.

The real problem for me on several including Discovery Science is the stretched picture. You lose some from top and bottom and some have side bars. Not as bad as many TNT shows. I'm sure this is noted before, just reinforcing.
-Ken

Referring to the Myth Busters episode last night following Really Big Things:

Myth Busters PQ did not look as sharp and detailed as Really Big Things on my 720p 30" LCD HDTV.
The PQ on both these shows didn't look very good on my 1080P 60" SXRD HDTV. From what little I've seen so far, the Discovery HD launch has landed with a big thud.

On my 1080P 60" SXRD HDTV, I saw things like JH - Really Big Things looked sharp, Mythbusters a little softer. But I'm not complaining yet. They both looked better than ever. Just stop the stretching the rest of the day and I'll be pretty happy with Disc HD!

I was watching TLC for a awhile and I swear the aspect changed some a few times. At times there would be black bars on the sides. About 1"-2" on my 52" tv.

I was watching TLC for a awhile and I swear the aspect changed some a few times. At times there would be black bars on the sides. About 1"-2" on my 52" tv.

Seems there are quite few programs on both TLC and Discover HD has thin black bars on site.

Seems there are quite few programs on both TLC and Discover HD has thin black bars on site.

Well everyone needs to remember that some shows will look better than others. The shows I saw on the new channels some where not taking up the screen like they should. But that is due to how the show was produced to where others look really good. So the PQ will differ from show to show on the new channels added. :)

Has anyone had any luck with the program guide containing programming information (the new HD channels of course)? Some on mine still say No program guide data or something. Just wondering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts