Night-time reception tricks???

pcbelize

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Does anyone know of any tricks to improve nighttime reception? I'm trying to pick-up spot beam locals for which I am just outside the range.

I've got a 36 dish pointed at the *110 and get good reception (low 70s) during the day but every night it drops into the 40-45 range.

Any suggestions???

Illuminate your dish with a halogen bulb. :)
The only thing you can change for almost guaranteed better results is a bigger dish unless you can find an LNB with a noise figure of .1dB.
You could try a preamp although in my experience they work better as attenuators.

"Illuminate your dish with a halogen bulb."

You should add a smiley when yu're making a joke - some newbies might think you're being serious. ;)

OTOH, maybe he's got a temperature-sensitive LNBF, and warming it really would help.

I have the same exact problem. I think that it is receiver specific. I have an 811 and cant get my PBS when it gets dark. The guy across the street has a 522 and has no problem whatsoever. I did email CEO@dishnetwork and they sent out a guy that couldn't find a problem so I am just stuck with a channel that doesn't work at night. I cant wait till my year contract is up!!!

No OTA, its the PBS in the Dish local package. I'm the only guy my installer, who by the way was the tech that the executive office sent out, knows of having problem like this, and according to him, I am the only person with an 811 that he knows of in this area. Knowing what I know now, not only with the PBS thing but with the long term outlook of HD and planning, I would have went with D* I think.

I'm comparing the satellite recievers in the 522 and 811. The PBS channel that I am referring to is the one included in the Dish local channel sat 119 transponder 3 or 6, not sure. I can not get this channel after 6:30pm, signal is about 70 and then drops to 30 at night. The guy across the street with the 522 has no problems, so I think there is a defect in a batch of receievers.

I've got a 7200 and a 6000 and I am having the problem on both receivers and its only on the spot beam locals.

dispatcher_21 said:
I'm comparing the satellite recievers in the 522 and 811. The PBS channel that I am referring to is the one included in the Dish local channel sat 119 transponder 3 or 6, not sure. I can not get this channel after 6:30pm, signal is about 70 and then drops to 30 at night. The guy across the street with the 522 has no problems, so I think there is a defect in a batch of receievers.

Bring your receiver over to your neighbors house and connect to his dish. If the problem remains, it's your receiver otherwise it's either your wiring, your dish alignment or your lnbf.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts