Nightly reboots: Why they must go...

Perhaps you should apply to become a software engineer at EchoStar?

My expertise is Unix OSs and hardware, not software engineering. But this type of checking is not complicated.

I've invited Vivek to talk about this offline, but he hasn't contacted me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

I can say that this is not the case. When autohop first came out I would have access to some programs before 11PM same day (pacific time, but past 1AM on the east coast). That all went away at some point (I don't remember if it was tied to a software revision or not). But now I don't get autohop until after 1AM local time.

Regardless, the point I was trying to make is that autohop was not dependent on my receiver undergoing a nightly reboot.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
I essentially said the same thing, didn't I??

I essentially said the same thing, didn't I??

I got the exact opposite from your post. That you indicated that the 1AM reboot time was because of autohop and that of the reboot time was pushed back so would autohop availability. My point was that, in the past, I got autohop prior to the 1AM reboot, so the two are not linked in the way you seemed to think they were.

The big difference Mike is that, with other receivers, you have the option to change the reboot time. Not so with the Hopper.... Something I've thought about, but have not seen mentioned, with regard to the 1AM reboot is that Auto-Hop begins after 1AM the following day for PTAT. I wonder if this has anything to do with why it is necessary to have a daily reboot.....

Could very well have something to do with it.

Then that's some serious explaining because I don't see the relationship.

You know John the receiver is also supposed to look for the latest software update during that 1:00am reboot . IF there is a software download to be had, it will grab it. It also will down load the latest 8-9 day guide and it does a reboot to get any bugs out. That is the way the 921 receiver was set up to do. It was so buggy that it required at least one reboot by DISH around 1:00am and another by me around 6:00pm to avoid any recording problems during primetime. The auto hop feature for the hopper becomes usable for the subs after 1:00am also, so this is why I said that there may be some connection to the time it reboots around 1:00am. But honestly I don't know for sure about the autohop ,I am just speculating.

Mike:

The software is in a transponder. You download it in the background anytime ahead of the maintenance. Then you check the version versus what is currently running before you reboot. Problem solved.

Heck, you could even check the version in the stream before it was downloaded.

I don't believe that a reboot a day keeps the troubles away. That's very low standards, and has no place in anything resembling a modern operating system providing services to multiple clients.

You know John the receiver is also supposed to look for the latest software update during that 1:00am reboot . IF there is a software download to be had, it will grab it. It also will down load the latest 8-9 day guide and it does a reboot to get any bugs out.........

Couldn't it be doing the EPG and sw download first, then rebooting?

John, clearly you have been spoiled by real OSes, certainly nothing MS has ever put out. ;)

I fondly recall when a change to the kernal required months of convincing before it was ever considered by The Committee.

Couldn't it be doing the EPG and sw download first, then rebooting?

It should, and it should only reboot if the software is to be updated.

As far as Mike's statement about "getting the bugs out", I consider that to be a copout for poor systems management practices.

Kotches , is it best/easiest just to leave your external hard drives hooked up at all times ?

Kotches , is it best/easiest just to leave your external hard drives hooked up at all times ?

Yes. The external drives aren't in a convenient location.

To be perfectly frank, connecting and disconnecting the drives defeats the purpose of having a centralized server. At that point you might as well go back to single dedicated dvrs and no sharing.

Yes. The external drives aren't in a convenient location.

To be perfectly frank, connecting and disconnecting the drives defeats the purpose of having a centralized server. At that point you might as well go back to single dedicated dvrs and no sharing.

To make it more convenient:

Keep them on their own power strip so connecting/disconnecting them is a flip of a switch?

Then continue cutting off your nose to spite your face.

You mean lower my expectations to meet the product's current state.

Have you ever supported systems or software products that were directly customer facing? That's where hopper/Joey sit.

I don't expect zero issues in non-redundant systems, but I find daily reboots problematic for any number of reasons.

Then continue cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Not really. He is complaining about a bad smell, and saying that they should just get rid of whatever is causing the smell.
Everyone here is suggesting he cut off his nose to avoid smelling it.

The most troubling thing is that so many people aren't bothered by the smell at all.

See previous post. It's a step backwards.

Seems like a step forward given that the present is over an hour reboot time each night. Sure it isn't ideal, but a 10 minute reboot beats an hour plus. And hopefully you can set up the power strip so that its places more conveniently than your EHDs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts