Nightmare Hopper install

Tech support has thrown in the towel. They told me to call my office for troubleshooting help! Lol I'm the lead tech in our office. Unreal!

I've had a nightmare install, too. First, I had an install window of 10-5, and then I get a call at 4:45 that they reassigned the job to another tech, and she won't get here for half an hour. Then, once the first Hopper was installed, it wouldn't receive the channels on transponder 129(? whichever one has TMC and Comedy Central). Then they, (someone else has come to the party at this point) tried to set up a Joey with the second Hopper, which is working fine, and it won't go past the software download after 80 or so minutes of trying. They're coming back tomorrow at 9:30. I'm so disappointed.

(Also, for whatever reason, the first Hopper won't keep one channel in a favorites list I'm trying to set up. It just doesn't like that channel.)

Oh man, you guys have me scared. Dish is here installing my Hopper now and it's been on the download software screen for over an hour. How scared should I be? :(

Yes. It's successfully completed Pair Remote and Name Location and is hung up on Download Software. The Tech said it was his first Hopper install. It's going on 2 hours now.

Edit: The Tech is on hold with Dish Support.

Edit: Dish support just had him power off the Hopper. They said to cal back in about 40 minutes to see how it's going.

Last edited:
50 minutes after the reboot and it's still stuck on Download Software. 3+ hours in. I really have doubts that it's going to work.

Dish Support just instructed the tech to unplug the Hopper (which was still step 3 after another 1 hour and 25 min) and wait for it to reboot. I guess we get start over again. Sigh...

Edit: When the dish came back on, Dish Support instructed the tech to reboot the Hopper again. It went through acquiring signal and now we're back to step 3 in the set up wizard - download software. This is where everything has stalled out the first 2 tried. Maybe the third time is the charm?

Edit: It finally passed te download software screen. Now we're reacquiring sat. signals.

FYI - Maybe this will help others, when the tech was talking to Dish Support, I heard her say something about authorizing and the tech said he'd disabled something in his tablet. I couldn't hear her response but the tech said that it would have been nice to know that before wasting the last 3 hours.

So apparently something should be authorized before the software download begins? Sorry I can't give more info but I only heard 1/2 of the convo.

Now we're getting ready to start work on the Joey. Thank goodness there's only one!

Last edited:
Update, after no proffer on screen, decided to retone line. Line toned out. While I was there I figured I'd replace the splitter( splitter was new and dish approved) went back inside , performed cable and reboot steps and voila ! Right to 061 download.

CRFTony said:
Dish Support just instructed the tech to unplug the Hopper (which was still step 3 after another 1 hour and 25 min) and wait for it to reboot. I guess we get start over again. Sigh...

Edit: When the dish came back on, Dish Support instructed the tech to reboot the Hopper again. It went through acquiring signal and now we're back to step 3 in the set up wizard - download software. This is where everything has stalled out the first 2 tried. Maybe the third time is the charm?

Edit: It finally passed te download software screen. Now we're reacquiring sat. signals.

FYI - Maybe this will help others, when the tech was talking to Dish Support, I heard her say something about authorizing and the tech said he'd disabled something in his tablet. I couldn't hear her response but the tech said that it would have been nice to know that before wasting the last 3 hours.

So apparently something should be authorized before the software download begins? Sorry I can't give more info but I only heard 1/2 of the convo.

Now we're getting ready to start work on the Joey. Thank goodness there's only one!

I had the same problem. My 1 hopper 3 Joey upgrade took 6 hours over 2 days.

I too had a nightmare install. After reading several solutions and trying them without success, I finally found the key step that I was missing. Here's the (layman's) guide to getting past the 1303 screen for the Joey:

1. Disconnect the coax cable.
2. Unplug the Joey from the outlet. LEAVE UNPLUGGED FOR AT LEAST 1 MINUTE. THIS IS KEY TO GETTING THE JOEY TO RESET.
3. Plug in Joey WITHOUT COAX CONNECTED. Let the Joey power up completely.
4. Unplug Joey again.
5. Connect the coax cable and plug in Joey.
6. Wait for software to download.

I've been through 2 Hoppers (all the tech had with him) and an almost complete rewire from the new dish on down to where the 622 was - Now the Hopper STILL hangs on Setup Wizard Download Software (should take less than 30 minutes). I've seen some "fixes" for the Joey's getting hung up, but nothing on getting past this software download for the Hopper itself. My tech pointed my new dish at the Eastern 110, 119 (and 117?) Sats rather than the Western 61.5 etc. - I see where one poster says that his Hopper was searching for software on the 61.5 bird ...How do I tell which bird mine is looking at and how do I change it? I will do the unplug and reboot ...fact is I've re-booted 4 or 5 times already (without an unplug...so I'll try that) an I've waited on the #3 "software downloading" at least 2 hours each on 3 or 4 tries. Any help appreciated.

UPDATE! Hopper is working, now starting on Joey's. Here's the deal. I too was stuck on the 3 of 5 "Downloading Software" situation. After trying the 2nd Hopper receiver (thinking the first one was bad) - the tech discovered that he had hooked up some wiring wrong. A line that had been used to POWER my wing dish ( I was receiving 110, 119 and 61.5...the wing dish was pointed at 61.5) WELL - the powered line to the wing dish, somehow fried BOTH Hopper receivers. I did resets, unplugging, and ever other suggestion from the tech and Dish with NO results (stuck on downloading software) - The tech arrived this morning with a few new tricks ...nothing worked. Then (after fixing the wiring problem) he installed a new receiver and .....it FINALLY took the software download. I guess I'm a bit surprised that there is no built in protection (like a reverse polarity protection) such that if / when you DO hook up a powered line, it wouldn't fry the receiver. BOTH Joey's came up pretty quickly BUT now we're having issues with the Joey's finding the home network - MoCA etc. NO luck there at all - Tech says he needs to go to another install, but will return...We'll see. The good news is - Hopper and Joeys are running fine - only issue seems to be their connection to my home network. Any suggestions on that one would be appreciated.

HIC is not needed, mine did not come up right away, seems like it took a day for the Joeys to connect. I didn't really do any troubleshooting, because I dont really use the Internet connection, but when I checked bbuster yesterday on my Joey it was working. Some have done some network resets and such, but I say give it a day or 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts