Nighttime failure

cdragon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Help!

I have a four sat setup with a DPP44 switch and 3 receivers.

The last week or so my 622 started losing most of it's connection on both tuners when it get's dark at night.

The 211 and 311 upstairs have a perfect 4 by 4 all night but around 6:30pm or so my 622 goes crazy until morning then back to 4 by 4.

After nightfall my 622's check switch goes though 38 checks and returns only 119 on tuner 2 and states that it sees only 119 on tuner 1 but not both polarities.

I'm going crazy, reseting everything about 20 times and changing the seperator.

I understand the technology and have changed all the coax indoors going to the 622. What am I missing?

The big problem is I've "Moved" so if I ask for a service call I have to "Move" back.

If it's running 38 checks, it has no connection at all. Check the coax center conductor where it connects to the DPP44 or power inserter. Those ports are weatherproof so you need about 3/16" extending beyond the barrel. At night, the coax will cool and contract a small amount and disconnect from the switch or the power inserter. Also try using different ports on the DPP44, no need to do a check switch when changing.

My guess is loss of contact from the center conductor being too short at a splice. Cold weather will shrink metals and that will withdraw the stinger somewhat. So, if you have stinger that is already barely making contact, the temperature drop will break that contact.

When you do the 38 step test, check at the dish to see if you are getting voltage from the 622. If you use a volt/ohm meter, you should see it changing back and forth from 18 volts back to 13 volts. The actual voltage may be a little more or less, but you should see the needle swinging.

My guess is loss of contact from the center conductor being too short at a splice. Cold weather will shrink metals and that will withdraw the stinger somewhat. So, if you have stinger that is already barely making contact, the temperature drop will break that contact.

When you do the 38 step test, check at the dish to see if you are getting voltage from the 622. If you use a volt/ohm meter, you should see it changing back and forth from 18 volts back to 13 volts. The actual voltage may be a little more or less, but you should see the needle swinging.

vegassatellite, how do you perform that voltage check?

vegassatellite, how do you perform that voltage check?

just stick a voltmeter in dc mode on the wire... it should be either 13 or 18 volts depending on whether the receiver is looking for an even or odd transponder...

+ positive lead on the center copper
- negative lead on the outer braiding

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)