Nimiq 5 Launch Scheduled for September 18

:up Nimiq 5 Mission Success!

Posted by ILS Communications Team, 12:37 a.m. EDT on 17 September 2009

We have had a successful mission with the Proton M Breeze M rocket, carrying the Nimiq 5 satellite built by Space Systems Loral for Telesat. We have had confirmation that the satellite separated from the vehicle on schedule at 12:34 AM EDT, or 04:34 GMT, 9 hours and 15 minutes after liftoff.

Everything occurred as planned with ignition, shutdown and separation of the Proton’s first three stages. Then the Breeze M upper stage with the satellite continued the mission, igniting five times, and then releasing the satellite into transfer orbit.

Yep I just got the call, Good news indeed. From what Im told is it went very well and they dont think anything is wrong with the sat (nock on wood) But we will find out when the begin testing within the next few hours after deployment.

I'm hopeful it's so E6 can quickly head over to 61.5 and Dish can launch some more HD by the beginning of November.

Well, who knows, the bird itself does no good for those of us not aimed at it; e.g. 110/119/61.5 guys like myself.

I would imagine that this sat was being built and scheduled before the AMC-15 disaster so Dish probably had plans for it consistent with having a whole suite of new birds in place (61.5, 110, 119 and 129). Whether they have changed those plans (or could change those plans) to allow more national HD is anyone's guess.

Well, who knows, the bird itself does no good for those of us not aimed at it; e.g. 110/119/61.5 guys like myself.

It helps western arc because they have to have space on both arcs to launch channels. They do not want the situation of a channel only being available to some customers. E3 is losing TPs, cutting down on capacity of the EA, they need E6 to go over and fill in the gaps until E3's replacement gets up there again.

I would imagine that this sat was being built and scheduled before the AMC-15 disaster so Dish probably had plans for it consistent with having a whole suite of new birds in place (61.5, 110, 119 and 129). Whether they have changed those plans (or could change those plans) to allow more national HD is anyone's guess.

It sounds like you live in a parallel universe to our own, where Dish never provided HD local channels to customers.

In our universe, in order to do that, they created two separate systems, one largely for the Eastern half and one largely for the Western half.

Nothing Dish has done for the past year or two - in terms of satellites - has had anything to do with "National HD" which only represents a tiny fraction of the bandwidth that Dish will need by 2013.

It sounds like you live in a parallel universe to our own, where Dish never provided HD local channels to customers.

In our universe, in order to do that, they created two separate systems, one largely for the Eastern half and one largely for the Western half.

Nothing Dish has done for the past year or two - in terms of satellites - has had anything to do with "National HD" which only represents a tiny fraction of the bandwidth that Dish will need by 2013.

Non-sequiturs seem to be your specialty.

First, in my universe dishes pointed at one location don't get signals from another.

Second, although you may have trouble connecting the dots, my post was in response to someone else asking about "National HD".

And if you think that you know what Dish's intentions were with their new satellites as regards "National HD" you're not only wrong, you sound silly.

Friday 9/18 8:23 Mountain Daylight Epoch

2009-050A
1 35873U 09050A 09261.60000000 -.00000087 00000-0 00000+0 0 35
2 35873 12.9660 295.1090 4548841 359.6390 88.0300 1.75731127 22

Current Estimate:

35834 KM X 9434 KM

8.5 degrees Inclination

Last edited:
Since there seems to be some confusion about what a TLE represents, here's a reference:

Human Space Flight (HSF) - Realtime Data

TLEs are not measurements at a particular moment in time (as suggested by the "realtime" reference above) but rather they are mathematical models of the path of satellites. You should note that there are no coordinates involved in a TLE. The date referred to in the TLE is the beginning effectivity date of the model and not necessarily a snapshot of where the satellite was at that time.

Since there seems to be some confusion about what a TLE represents, here's a reference:

Human Space Flight (HSF) - Realtime Data

TLEs are not measurements at a particular moment in time (as suggested by the "realtime" reference above) but rather they are mathematical models of the path of satellites. You should note that there are no coordinates involved in a TLE. The date referred to in the TLE is the beginning effectivity date of the model and not necessarily a snapshot of where the satellite was at that time.

Since there seems to be some confusion about what the word "estimate" means here is a reference.

estimate - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Telesat Canada said its Nimiq 2 satellite on 20 February 2003 experienced a malfunction that affected the available power on the spacecraft. The satellite is currently generating sufficient power to operate only 26 of the 32 transponders.
Measures were immediately taken to restore the affected traffic, the company said in a brief statement, adding that the majority of transponders is functioning normally and the situation has stabilised. Subscribers to Bell ExpressVu's pay-TV service, the exclusive user of the satellite, reported varying signal strength across transponders during the days after the anomaly.

Sat ND | Failures

E6 at 61.5 will help Dish a lot with locals. E12 (old rainbow1) has to have some transponders in CONUS mode instead of spot since E3 has a bunch of dead TPs. Once E6 is over to pick up these dead TPs, E12 can switch more TPs to spots. This will help with locals a lot. I would not be surprised to even see some CONUS HD LiLs from 77 move to 61.5 spot.

I speculate they will do more CONUS and more spot. They will turn some E12 TPs to spots, picking up secondary stations in markets they already carry and adding new markets and moving markets from 77. They will also have some CONUS left over on 61.5 and free up some on 77. They have a deadline approaching for more LiL markets to have all stations carried in HD. They will have to work to fill out markets with what they have before risking another satellite failure.

E6 at 61.5 will help Dish a lot with locals. E12 (old rainbow1) has to have some transponders in CONUS mode instead of spot since E3 has a bunch of dead TPs. Once E6 is over to pick up these dead TPs, E12 can switch more TPs to spots. This will help with locals a lot. I would not be surprised to even see some CONUS HD LiLs from 77 move to 61.5 spot.

I speculate they will do more CONUS and more spot. They will turn some E12 TPs to spots, picking up secondary stations in markets they already carry and adding new markets and moving markets from 77. They will also have some CONUS left over on 61.5 and free up some on 77. They have a deadline approaching for more LiL markets to have all stations carried in HD. They will have to work to fill out markets with what they have before risking another satellite failure.

Very quiet on the FCC filings regarding E6. We can all hope it has nothing to do with their informing FCC they were going to review all satellites fuel status after their Echostar 5 fiasco. There, they used up the last of remaining fuel moving it to 148W while thinking they had another year's supply of fuel remaining. Something to do with component fuel pressures and the inability to accurately measure the ratio of fuel components remaining.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)