Nimiq 5 Launch Scheduled for September 18

Any of you guys think Dish Network and Directv might merge next year,
the government said no in 2003, could that change now with the economy?

I doubt that they will change the findings. It had to do with it becoming a monopoly.

IIRC it had to do with competition and the lack of it. Back then it was mainly DirecTV, Dish and your local cable company for where you could get video service. Since then the telco's have gotten into the act with U-Verse and FIOS and from looking at some posts on forums folks are giving up those services for OTA and internet delivered content. Since the landscape has changed a bit since then DirecTV and Dish might think they have a better chance this time to get it approved.

I doubt that they will change the findings. It had to do with it becoming a monopoly.

whatchel,

Highly doubtful, but that does NOT mean that DirecTV and Dish won't build a common platform and share bandwidth to deliver Local into Local service.

Think about what could be accomplished if both companies didn't have to transmit the very same Local into Local channels all across the country.

As Satellite customers both DirecTV and Dish could ramp up national HD channels and deliver local into local at astonishing picture quality all across the board.

John

whatchel,

Highly doubtful, but that does NOT mean that DirecTV and Dish won't build a common platform and share bandwidth to deliver Local into Local service.

Think about what could be accomplished if both companies didn't have to transmit the very same Local into Local channels all across the country.

As Satellite customers both DirecTV and Dish could ramp up national HD channels and deliver local into local at astonishing picture quality all across the board.

John

John, why not continue along those lines and create a common platform to deliver national content? Right now you have Dish and DirecTV delivering three copies of many of the same national channels.

It looks like something odd may be going on with TSReader at 72.5°. Attached is a sample transponder from 72.5°. No channels are shown in the PAT. Just to be sure I wasn't having a brain fart, I went to 101° and 119°. TSReader shows active Directv channels on both of those satellites. The last time I checked 72.5°, a few months ago, TSReader did show active Directv channels.

If you disable DSS-to-DVB, you'll find that all of the DSS SCIDs are still there. The old builds of the plugin don't detect channels not in the guide data as well as they should, but it doesn't mean the channels aren't there.

This image shows TSReader after tuning into 72.5W with DSS-to-DVB 0.3.2, then disabling the plugin for a bit so that the PID Chart shows the DSS SCIDs and the bitrate display balances out.

URL%5D
http://img182.imageshack.us/i/72wdss.png/

John, why not continue along those lines and create a common platform to deliver national content? Right now you have Dish and DirecTV delivering three copies of many of the same national channels.

Rad,

Simple, the packaging of National channels are different between Dish and DirecTV. Dish and DirecTV's also do not offer the same channels, Dish has several DirecTV does not and Visa Versa.

I would much rather have both companies instead of just one, Local into Local is exactly the same between two providers in that they offer the National network affiliates from each local market for more or less the same price. The National packages are different between the two in the channel choices as well as price points, also DirecTV offers two OOM packages that Dish does not, namely MLB Extra Innings, and NFL Sunday Ticket.

Many would argue that Extra Innings and NFL Sunday Ticket exclusive deal has added a slight burden to all DirecTV subs.

Competition for National networks is better than having one National DBS carrier.

John

encryption

So which company's encryption program are they going to use? Which one would be willing to scrap their whole encode decode chain? I doubt either will want to do it. I know I'm nay saying just thinking that they both are unlikely to want to spend that $$.

Rad,

Simple, the packaging of National channels are different between Dish and DirecTV. Dish and DirecTV's also do not offer the same channels, Dish has several DirecTV does not and Visa Versa.

I would much rather have both companies instead of just one, Local into Local is exactly the same between two providers in that they offer the National network affiliates from each local market for more or less the same price. The National packages are different between the two in the channel choices as well as price points, also DirecTV offers two OOM packages that Dish does not, namely MLB Extra Innings, and NFL Sunday Ticket.

Many would argue that Extra Innings and NFL Sunday Ticket exclusive deal has added a slight burden to all DirecTV subs.

Competition for National networks is better than having one National DBS carrier.

John

Just because both carriers have different packages doesn't mean that they can't just share the infrastructure and the STB is authorized for what channels it's allowed to get. Doesn't mean that Dish would now have MLB-EI or that DirecTV would have Versus, just that there's just one copy of the channel being beamed down from 23,000 miles.

Using your logic you can't do locals then since DirecTV carries more local channels in many makets then Dish does, like PBS and CW/MyTV.

If you disable DSS-to-DVB, you'll find that all of the DSS SCIDs are still there. The old builds of the plugin don't detect channels not in the guide data as well as they should, but it doesn't mean the channels aren't there.

This image shows TSReader after tuning into 72.5W with DSS-to-DVB 0.3.2, then disabling the plugin for a bit so that the PID Chart shows the DSS SCIDs and the bitrate display balances out.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I jumped the gun. Hope nobody got too excited.
I'm using 0.3.0. If I disable DSS-to-DVB, I can see the DSS SCIDs.

DISH actually leads DIRECTV in the amount of cities they carry in both sd and HD channels of the big 4 networks.

Didn't say they didn't, what I said was "DirecTV carries more local channels in many makets then Dish does, like PBS and CW/MyTV. ". According to HD Locals - City By City What's Available - DBSTalk.Com DirecTV carries the HD versions of PBS in 85 DMA's, the CW in 43, MNT in 23 and 12 other independant stations.

I don't know why DISH doesn't carry PBS in hd , unless they are trying to get one national hd version and use it for each market. As for the Cw , I have mine in hd for Houston market from DISH. They have been adding CW in hd to many of the bigger markets like Houston , L.A. , New York etc. I don't think that Pbs being in hd is that big of a deal to many customers , but CW in hd is in my book.

I don't know why DISH doesn't carry PBS in hd , unless they are trying to get one national hd version and use it for each market. As for the Cw , I have mine in hd for Houston market from DISH. They have been adding CW in hd to many of the bigger markets like Houston , L.A. , New York etc. I don't think that Pbs being in hd is that big of a deal to many customers , but CW in hd is in my book.

Mike, not looking to start a D* vs. E* thread, I was pointing out to a prior poster that about sharing bandwidth for locals but he said couldn't for nationals since D* and E* don't carry the same national channels and pointing they don't carry the same locals either.

As for your PBS comment, don't know about that, but there have been a number of posts recently about E* not carrying PBS HD especially with the new National parks mini series and folks having to watch it in SD.

Another guy here that wishes Dish had PBS in HD.:confused: I get HD OTA which works great UNLESS it's VERY windy and wet. Then the large old oak trees near my antenna have a way of screwing up the signal. Tonight is VERY windy and VERY wet. My OTA signal strength can go from 100 to ZERO in a heartbeat. I'm recording The National Park episode 2 three times overnight hoping one recording won't have frequent drop outs.............:rant::eek::rolleyes:;)

Ed

Sat Sep 26 22:43:17 MDT 2009 d=3558.196729180 ep=09270.19672918

Inclination: 0.0456 Degrees

East West Oscillation caused by Eccentricity : 0.19 Degrees

35699 KM X 35842 KM

16 KM below Geostionary (average)

It should be on station by now ( +/- .05 degrees in E/W and N/S directions).

Somewhere between 10 and 12 days after launch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts