Nimiq 5 Launch Scheduled for September 18

Very quiet on the FCC filings regarding E6. We can all hope it has nothing to do with their informing FCC they were going to review all satellites fuel status after their Echostar 5 fiasco. There, they used up the last of remaining fuel moving it to 148W while thinking they had another year's supply of fuel remaining. Something to do with component fuel pressures and the inability to accurately measure the ratio of fuel components remaining.
Didn't E5 have the complication of burning additional fuel to maintain positioning due to momentum wheel failures? I'd imagine E6 would have to be in better shape for fuel than E1 that they just successfully moved to 77W?

Didn't E5 have the complication of burning additional fuel to maintain positioning due to momentum wheel failures? I'd imagine E6 would have to be in better shape for fuel than E1 that they just successfully moved to 77W?

The point they made in a recent FCC filing was that in reviewing the E5 incident, they found they may have been mismeasuring the fuel reserves on a number of satellites and were/are going back and redoing the numbers. They then said that they would not move any satellite if it's fuel was below some unspecified value. No mention of any specific satellites of concern.

I have noticed in filings that they usually state that they amount of remaining fuel is not really accurate until they get close to empty.

Here is a couple of stories on Nimiq 5 which state that the satellite is working properly in getting to geostationary orbit.

Nimiq 5 Now Maneuvering Magnificently : Satnews Publishers

Space Systems/Loral Performs Successful Post-Launch Maneuvers on Nimiq 5 DTH TV Satellite Built for Telesat

On another note, all of the recent FCC filings of Dish, DirecTV and Telesat have a status of "blocked" which can be interpreted as frozen. Recognize that Telesat owns the Nimiq 5 satellite and both Dish and DirecTV have interests at the 72.7 W slot. Just speculating but perhaps there is a deal in the works here for DirecTV to release some of their TPs at that slot to Telesat which would lease them to Dish. If this were the case, certainly the FCC may want to stop everything until they understand what is happening.

And just a reminder that despite the claims of n2yo, it is not real time. That is based on data from last Friday. Since the thrusters have fired since then, we don't know where it is.

Well, I checked the site earlier and it had data from Sunday that showed apogee and perigee almost the same with a 13deg inclination.
Wonder what happened they went back to friday data

Epoch : Mon Sep 21 05:17:39 MDT 2009 d=3552.470590770 ep=09264.47059077

4.4 degree Inclination

Bad Data????

Last edited:
EPOCH: Tue Sep 22 00:00:09 MDT 2009 d=3553.250113470 ep=09265.25011347

Inclination : 4.4 degrees
20783 KM X 35816 KM

Scott's Retailer Chat reports 45 days until in service as of today.

45 days? Nimiq 4 was in commercial operation 22 days after launch. Are they testing Nimiq 5 at 72.5° or at some other location?

So 45 days from today would put the 72.7 in use by November 8th? I don't see why it would take so long to get this satellite so it can be used.

It needs to be recognized that Dish is actually subleasing the Nimiq 5 TPs from Bell TV who has a lease of the entire satellite from Telesat, the satellite owner. Before Dish agreed to "sublease" the entire satellite from Bell TV, it would have been necesary to check out the Canadian beam for Bell TV's use in Canada but now that is not needed so testing time should be reduced.

It needs to be recognized that Dish is actually subleasing the Nimiq 5 TPs from Bell TV who has a lease of the entire satellite from Telesat, the satellite owner. Before Dish agreed to "sublease" the entire satellite from Bell TV, it would have been necesary to check out the Canadian beam for Bell TV's use in Canada but now that is not needed so testing time should be reduced.

Isn't it actually Echostar that's the US lease holder and Dish will lease space from Echostar? From SpaceNews.com | Civil Space, Military Space, Commercial Space, Satellite Communications.

"Englewood, Colo.-based EchoStar, which previously had contracted to lease half of Nimiq 5’s capacity, will now lease all 32 Ku-band transponders for Nimiq 5’s expected 15-year service life. EchoStar plans to make the capacity available to its sister company, satellite-television provider Dish Network. "

The information I have says that the first transponders will be moved to NIMIQ 5 on October 15th.

There is going to be no long test period here as its a CONUS bird, it does not need the testing and configuration necessary like a bird with spot beams does, and thus is the reason why they can turn it around quickly.

I'm still hearing 10/15 for 8PSK modulation change on the 72.7 bird... which would mean Nimiq5 would be active by then.

How much capacity gain would result in the switch to 8PSK assuming Dish only has use of 16 TPs initially? It is recognized that MPEG-4 will be used now with QPSK and will be used with 8PSK.

How much capacity gain would result in the switch to 8PSK assuming Dish only has use of 16 TPs initially? It is recognized that MPEG-4 will be used now with QPSK and will be used with 8PSK.

More hd than any other provider could imagine.:)