Nimiq 82

DWReimer

Original poster
May 12, 2005
Need some advice.

I just moved so I am in the process of setting up my BEV dish. I bought a new dish/lnb (dish network 500 with the new lnb with the port 1, port 2 and lnb input configuration). I got the dish set up and tuned for the 91 bird and get great signals on all transponders. I couldn't get any signal on the 82 bird for a few hours. After running the check switch routine several times and waiting a while, the 82 transponders started showing up one at a time. I get most transponders in the 45-60% range. Is this normal for the 82 transponders to show up slowly like this as opposed to the 91 transponders which showed up immediately, or is my lnb defective. I've never used this type of lnb before.

Also, I can't get any signal on two 82 transponders (7 and 11) not matter where I move the dish and no matter how I fine tune it. Any ideas what I can try. I am thinking about getting an older style lnb with the SW21 and see if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Your geographic location is the key here. Sounds like you are on the edge of the footprint for 82.

You don't disclose your location, which is OK, but if you are in the mid to southern US, you are likely outside the footprint for the signal.

The 82 satellite, Nimiq4, was launched on September 19, 2008 to replace the previous Nimiq at this location. It's beam is focused more tightly toward Canada and many in the US were partially or completely cut off from it's signal.

See the sticky thread in this forum in which users have provided input as to their signal levels in various parts of the US. Thread: "Nimiq4 Contour Map....a First Take"

Last edited:
Where ya located? 82 is pretty weak once you get a couple states into the US from Canada so that is probably it

I'm in between Harrisburg and Philadelphia, PA. So that explains the issues I am having with transponders 7 and 11? Would an eliptical dish help? What about the problem with the 82 transponders taking so long to register a signal?

Thanks for all the responses :)

You are too far south to receive 82 with a good signal strength on a regular sized dish.

I am in Colorado and use a dish over a meter in diameter dedicated to 82.

Over multiple nights, I have tracked the signal strength of 82. Midday I get the best signals, at night I get the worst. Seems like Nimiq is wobbling, badly. The footprint changes as it wobbles, but since it always includes Canada, there is no issue to the wanted userbase. If you are on the fringe however, this can make a huge difference.

I would check your signals at midnight or 3am to see what they are. Then again at noon to 2pm and see what they are.

I made a giant excel spreadsheet and posted a graphic of it on here somewhere that shows my readings with the ginormous dedicated dish. Extrapolate that data to get your approximate signal strength at your location with your dish size at an appropriate time.

He looks to be close to the footprint...Maybe a 24" or a 30" would work

attachment.php

I'm in MN and the 30" works real well

I too see fluctuations in signal strength here in Tennessee with night being the weakest, but I am not too sure it would be wobble. Several thoughts (note I am using a 1.2 meter Fortec to consistently pull in 82W and am still vulnerable to rain fade)

1) If it was genuine wobble (satellite shifting its orbit), I think it would be more random in time and the weak/strong times would vary more.

2) Some transponders shift more than others. For instance the 3, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, 27, 31 group is my weakest at night. Is it possible they shift the beam slightly at night? Seems unlikely to me but nevertheless a possibility.

3) I think the most likely possibility is power preservation. The bird runs on solar panels, so in the day it has more power at its disposal. At night the earth will block the sun to the panels so it needs to run on battery power.

I'm in between Harrisburg and Philadelphia, PA. So that explains the issues I am having with transponders 7 and 11? Would an eliptical dish help? What about the problem with the 82 transponders taking so long to register a signal?
I'm in York, and pretty much get the same thing. Happened when they switched to 8PSK.

Currently using a Dish 500. Debated putting up a bigger dish for 82, but just haven't gotten around to it.

So if I use a dish like Winegard-DS-2077-30-Dish-Network-Satellite-Dish I may be able to get 82? Can I use the LNB from my 500 with this 30" dish? Just not the same without my HD channels.

Thanks,
DR

DWReimer said:
So if I use a dish like Winegard-DS-2077-30-Dish-Network-Satellite-Dish I may be able to get 82? Can I use the LNB from my 500 with this 30" dish? Just not the same without my HD channels.

Thanks,
DR

Yes. The 2077 accepts the bell/dish lnb.

I recently moved from a house to a Condo. I have had Bell for 5 years. When I moved into the condo I was able to get the condo association to agree to two ground mounted dish one for Dish (Eastern arc and a Bell 20".

I have no issues with 91 but like others 82 is hard to get a good signal. The transponders that I can get have a 62 to 75 signal strenght. But some transponders have no signal.

Does Bell, Dish or anyone make a larger dish that has a skew adjustment so I could have one Dish for Bell?

I use a Triple Beam Dish for Bell TV mainly because it is a very sturdy Dish and can be fitted with upto 3 LNBF's, so if Bell add another slot, I am ready.

I think it is from Andrews, or Channel master.

Use the DS2077 for 82 only. Use your existing dish for 91. Combine both dishes with the SW-21.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)