Nimiq sats

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rainmaker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
Louisa KY
Have the Nimiq sats quit sending a signal to the U.S.? haven't been able to lock on these sats for awhile I know my lnbf is working can lock the signal on the echo sats.

Unless something changed very recently, you should be able to see some if not all of 91W but prob nothing on 82W. Nimiq 4 was launched and replaced the old Nimiq's at 82W quite some time ago, October 2008 if I recall correctly. It's beam misses most of the lower 48.

91W is still CONUS and Canada so it should work fine

82 is very weak once you get more than a state or two south of Canada...works fine in MN but drops off about Missouri

uh oh...better replace that

There isnt much on 91W and nothing on 82W...a few how to channels (like Dish 101)

yeah I know just like to check them ever now and then you never know when something might open up.

Yeah, I check them often too, particularly around Olympic time. Last winter olympics, I found a FTA hidden channel on 82 with good Olympic coverage. Unfortunately I didn't find one this time around, but luckily there were some other FTA channels, and that plus for once one of the NBC group of channels gave me the 2 things I was looking for. Although I did need to watch some things while listening to French audio, but that was actually kind of neat, hearing what "oh my gosh, what a crash" sounds like in French. Some things sound the same no matter what language.
But yes, the Nimiq sats are still working. There are still a couple QPSK transponders on 82, and most of the 91 transponders are still working.
Re the switch going bad, don't throw it away... I've found that those things will stop working for whatever reason, moisture, temperature, or whatever, then if you bring them inside to dry out, they come back to life at some later date.

EDIT: This reminds me of a question I have had for quite a while, but forgot to ask.
When Nimiq4 took over at 82, all the talk was the N4 was supposed to have very poor coverage over the US, being kind of spot beamed to Canada. For me, however, this sat has been stronger than the old Nimiq2 or whatever it was, however since I'm pretty close to the Canadian border, perhaps I'm within the footprint.
Anyway, I'm curious with respect to what kind of reception people are getting for the 82 sat further south. I had read one post from some people like in Kentucky, who were getting it, but poorly (I think), but I'm still curious whether this sat falls off to the south rapidly.

Last edited:
Just switched it over to port 3 on the Diseqc switch and signal is booming again. on 82 I am getting around a 82% quality here in Northeast Kentuck BJ.

Yeah, I check them often too, particularly around Olympic time. Last winter olympics, I found a FTA hidden channel on 82 with good Olympic coverage. Unfortunately I didn't find one this time around, but luckily there were some other FTA channels, and that plus for once one of the NBC group of channels gave me the 2 things I was looking for. Although I did need to watch some things while listening to French audio, but that was actually kind of neat, hearing what "oh my gosh, what a crash" sounds like in French. Some things sound the same no matter what language.
But yes, the Nimiq sats are still working. There are still a couple QPSK transponders on 82, and most of the 91 transponders are still working.
Re the switch going bad, don't throw it away... I've found that those things will stop working for whatever reason, moisture, temperature, or whatever, then if you bring them inside to dry out, they come back to life at some later date.

EDIT: This reminds me of a question I have had for quite a while, but forgot to ask.
When Nimiq4 took over at 82, all the talk was the N4 was supposed to have very poor coverage over the US, being kind of spot beamed to Canada. For me, however, this sat has been stronger than the old Nimiq2 or whatever it was, however since I'm pretty close to the Canadian border, perhaps I'm within the footprint.
Anyway, I'm curious with respect to what kind of reception people are getting for the 82 sat further south. I had read one post from some people like in Kentucky, who were getting it, but poorly (I think), but I'm still curious whether this sat falls off to the south rapidly.

@ the highlighted: That was the case with my 4X1 Chieta Switch. I'm glad I didn't smash it with a hammer as I had impulsively wanted to!:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)