No 4x fast forward = deal breaker

I think it was a stupid decision to remove 4x. Leaving 4x in the mix does not require additional programming, and does not simplify the interface enough to justify its removal. I have no idea why Dish thought that this was an improvement to their interface.

Agree with this statement, but going from 722 to Hopper 3, I haven't missed it a bit. Used to use it (very occasionally), but really don't miss it.

Just switched back to Dish after a couple of years with Directv (been with one or the other since 95) - H3, and I'm in the camp that the 15x is too fast. I don't recall what speed the Genie FF was, but I could hit that at the beginning of a commercial, and then with the short fall back it has (i.e. when you hit play from FF it rewinds slightly) I could hit the beginning of the show starting back up after the commercial to the second. With the 15x, by the time I see the show has started back up and hit play I'm far enough into it I then need to hit the back button a couple of times.

Not something I'd return the H3 over - I still very much prefer most of what it does over the Genie - but something I miss from the Genie.

Sounds like he's not aware of the 30-second skip button, huh ?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I use the 30 second skip rather than the 15x FF, but we did like the option of being able to FF at a lower speed and being able to see what we were skipping over.

No deal breaker, just one of those "it would be nice....." things.

Reactions: stardust3
I just pop the 30 second skip-ahead til I see the show, then 10 second back.
Yeah, that's how it's supposed to work, right? When it doesn't, that's where 4x comes in handy.

4x is also very useful watching a baseball game pitch-by-pitch. Skip or 15x doesn't work well for that.

Reactions: rdale
I use the 30 second skip rather than the 15x FF, but we did like the option of being able to FF at a lower speed and being able to see what we were skipping over.

No deal breaker, just one of those "it would be nice....." things.
Ahhh, I misunderstood - I thought you were using the 15x FF to "skip" commercials entirely. I know what you mean, there are times when you do want to see the commercials (but at your own pace).

For the record, I would like to see the 4x FF speed returned. For skipping forward (not commercials), I used the 4x and 60x most commonly.

if Dish wanted to only have 3 fast forward speeds, it would have been better if they removed the 15x speed rather than the 4x speed.

I know there will be some people complaining about not having 15x FF, but I think more people would rather have 4x than 15x.

I agree that 15x FF is the least useful. I use 4x a lot for sports. I don't understand why Dish removed the 4x.

if Dish wanted to only have 3 fast forward speeds, it would have been better if they removed the 15x speed rather than the 4x speed.

I know there will be some people complaining about not having 15x FF, but I think more people would rather have 4x than 15x.
I honestly didn't notice originally that 4x was removed. I always only use the three current speeds to get through commercials, plays, or through the opening credits of a show. 4x never offered anything and was always a hindrance to me when I wanted to fast forward, and with the new remotes, it would be extremely aggravating to have to click that stupid plastic button one more time.

Reactions: Dudleydog73
Yeah, I thought I'd miss it but I don't.

I find that with the Hopper 3, I can stop precisely where I want at 15X where it was hit-or-miss on the 622 at 4X. It's so much more fluid and responsive than I'm used to.

Won't 15x get you quickly to the end/beginning faster?
No, x15 and even x300 are not fast enough for me if I have a four or five hour car race recorded. All DVRs I have had in the past also provided an end button that takes you instantly to the end of the recording. If DISH would fix the resume button for an event you are watching while recording then I wouldn't see a need for an end option.

I'm relying on OLD memory, mind you, but it seemed like the jump was pretty much instantaneous - no big deal, but just a bit faster than any X-speed and that was especially useful with a longer recording.
Yep, the DVRs I had with other providers the end button would jump instantaneous to the end. Even the x300 speed is too slow for long recordings.

Reactions: xfoneguy

While we are casting votes for the FF speeds, if I would only get three, my preference would be to have 4, 15, and 300.