No audio from Joey via HDMI?

chikagobnd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
lynchburg, va
After my install on Tuesday, I realized the installer hooked up the Joey in my bedroom via RCA instead of HDMI. After being perplexed at why he would have done this, I hooked it up via HDMI. Picture comes through beautifully, but I get no audio. After checking audio settings with no improvement, I went out and got an extra receiver I had in my garage and hooked up optical audio cable to feed that and sound works fine. I read in the Joey manual that if no sound occurs through HDMI hookup that I may have to use RCA for sound. What? First, if I'm on an HDMI input on my tv, I can't get the RCA audio anyway since that is on a different input. Second, does this mean this is a semi-normal occurrence with the Joey and HDMI? Tell me what I'm missing.

After my install on Tuesday, I realized the installer hooked up the Joey in my bedroom via RCA instead of HDMI. After being perplexed at why he would have done this, I hooked it up via HDMI. Picture comes through beautifully, but I get no audio. After checking audio settings with no improvement, I went out and got an extra receiver I had in my garage and hooked up optical audio cable to feed that and sound works fine. I read in the Joey manual that if no sound occurs through HDMI hookup that I may have to use RCA for sound. What? First, if I'm on an HDMI input on my tv, I can't get the RCA audio anyway since that is on a different input. Second, does this mean this is a semi-normal occurrence with the Joey and HDMI? Tell me what I'm missing.

Have you tried using another HDMI cable?

Yes, I've used 2 other HDMI cables with no luck. I also went as far as hooking those 2 HDMI cables up to different devices and got sound through the tv from those devices. Perplexing.

KAB, no I didn't try that, I will def give it a try though. Corbie, I have tried it in both of the HDMI inputs on my TV. Mac Mini works fine, PS3 works fine, just no dice on the Joey. I will definitely give the reboot a shot.

do you have another joey to try in that room?
also you can try lowering the audio output settings in the dish settings menu. this often fixes issues with audio lag or no audio.
if all else fails you can get an external speaker to hook up with rca.

KAB, I tried the reboot and still get no audio from the TV. sca, I only have the one Joey. I don't see an option to play with the audio settings you were talking about. All i see is the option to choose dolby/PCM or PCM, Line or RF, and volume leveling. If I'm missing something, let me know. My solution has been to hook up to an extra receiver with external speakers via optical cable...two problems with that. 1. While I can get audio through that option, the Joey isn't functioning properly if I can't get audio from the TV. 2. The Joey is in the bedroom and we generally fall asleep with the tv on. While I can set the timer to turn the tv off in "x" amount of time, the sound continues to play through the receiver until the Joey goes to sleep. So, it partially defeats the purpose of having a sleep timer at all.

Have you tried another HDMI input on the TV? If no go, you really should PM one of the Dirt members.

if the joey plays sound through external speakers but not your tv, you may have to consider that the tv is the problem not the joey. the audio options i was talking about ARE pcm vs dolby, etc. try changing them.

KAB, I have tried both HDMI ports with no luck. sca, I have played with those settings. I have considered the tv being the problem, but the fact that a Mac Mini, PS3, and my previous D* receiver work(ed) perfectly fine via HDMI leads me to the Joey, not the tv. dwarren2, my current settings are PCM only with audio leveling enabled, although I have tried all possible scenarios.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)