No audio on local channels

rgmiller6

Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Surprise, AZ
I am a new subscriber to Dish Network and I have a VIP 612 DVR hooked up to my home theater receiver with an optical cable. Surround sound and all audio is great until I go to the local channels of CBS and NBC than I lose ALL audio. My temporary fix for this has been to go to MENU-6-6 and select PCM only, I than lose surround sound on all channels but do have audio on all channels. Can anyone help me with this problem. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thank you, but I did try the digital/pcm setting and like I said the Local channel audio would only work on the PCM setting. The other channels would work just fine on the Dolby Digital/PCM setting

Thank you oljim. I tried that and it didn't help. An update though, it seems that the missing audio is only on NBC and CBS. I have been looking in on another forum and see that this is a common problem.

That is strange, I can get NBC and CBS from 2 cities OTA and the both work fine. Do you have your 612 output set for 1080 I or 720 P, both CBS and NBC ore 1080 I while ABC and FOX are 720 P. Just something to try.

Hello again oljim. I checked my HD setup and as far as I can tell all channels are setup for 1080 I. It appears that when you make changes to the HD setup the changes apply to all channels.

Resolution doesn't apply here

The resolution of the video has nothing to do with the audio. It will affect nothing by changing it as far as the audio goes. By chance do the 2 stations in question have the same ownership. If so it maybe the way that he audio was set up at the TV station; they may have set it incorrectly when the DTV change over took place. Did you have the sound before the change over or did you just get the 612 since.

I got the 612 a couple of days before the change over, but that reminds me it seems like I was only missing audio on the commercials on CBS and NBC at first. Thats a good point though. I will have to wait til Monday to check on station ownership.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)