No audio

cincy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
I have a VIP211 and a set top antenna for my HD locals. I noticed that there is no audio for the HD locals now. The picture comes in great but no audio. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks you!

We need more information about your setup. Are you using the TV for audio or a receiver? How do you have your audio signal connected? Do you have audio on all other channels except for the HD locals (including other HD channles)?

I am using an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. I have the optical cord from the receiver to the surround sound. The audio works on all other channels including the HD ones. Just not the HD locals.

Do a front panel reset or pull the plug and wait 30 seconds and plug back in. Should be just fine. Same problem this week for me.

I've got a 622 VIP and I lost my audio over the HDMI port as well.... my video went about a week later. May be unrelated, but Dish seems to have a lot of problems with HDMI on their equipment:

1) Their hardware runs quite hot and isn't ventilated very well. Often leads to premature failures.

2) Whatever company they subcontracted for their hardware (JVC in my case I believe) used a sub-par HDMI port connector that's been reportedly known to break quite easily when stressed even lightly - i.e. just plugging the HDMI cable in.

3) Reporting a failed HDMI port to their phone tech support staff/agents will get you the canned response that there is a "software" problem with HDMI ports on Dish equipment (particularly the 622, not sure about the 211) that is supposedly going to be fixed via a software update sometime "soon"... closest date I could get them narrowed to was October/November time frame.

In your case, since you only lost audio, I'd unplug the unit and let it sit for an hour or two. (Just in case it is heat related) Then plug it in and let it boot up. See if that clears the problem. If not, you may be in the first throws of HDMI failure like I experienced. If it does clear up the problem, odds are its heat and you may want to look into improving air flow to it.

Good luck!

--Johnno

cincy said:
I have a VIP211 and a set top antenna for my HD locals. I noticed that there is no audio for the HD locals now. The picture comes in great but no audio. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks you!

try doing a soft reset to your receiver this happens to me about 3 times a wk. on OTA locals with the 211

I have to reboot my 211 abnout every other day to get the OTA audio back. This is not a solution. Dish needs to fix the 211.

Another way to resolve this problem is to go to the system setup menu and do a "point dish". After that the audio will be back. At least it works for me every time. One incovenience is that it will stop your active recodings first. But it is easier and quicker than rebooting the receiver.

That used to happen to me every morning I turned the TV on (OTA no sound). I found that it happened every night with the 3am update. Here's what I did to fix it:
I set the timer for 2:55 am to an OTA channel. Then I set the update for 3am.
It seems like if at night you leave it on a Dish channel, the OTA channels will lose sound, so I set the timer to an OTA channel for the night. Sounds strange? Works for me!
esteps

cincy said:

Thanks you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts