No frills subscriptionless HD HDD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Grumble69

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
North Carolina
I know it's been asked a lot because I've spent a few hours searching around. But I'm getting lots of older threads and I'm having a hard time wading through changes in technology / new products.

Basically I'm wanting to:
* record HD shows,
* watch them in HD again (novel concept),
* not pay for a subscription,
* I'd prefer not to use my computer for the recording (don't need any more long cables),
* I don't need any stinking guides or smart recording features. I'll gladly tell it the time & channel to record.

Here's what I've found:
* there is actually a "Tivo basic" that's free and seems to record just like a VCR. ...but the technology seems to be from yesteryear. ...everything I saw wasn't any better or different from a normal DVD recorder (which doesn't play back in HD).
* the Channelmaster CM-7000PAL is perfect, except it's only for OTA signals. Moxi is similar but for cable.
* the Neuros recorder seems like it will capture anything. ...but it seems more applicable for lower resolution recordings. Maybe one day they will go HD.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
Sorry. No free rides. You can get OTA or you can stream from network providers, hulu (not HD), etc.

S~

I'm in the right forum. I just don't want to pay a monthly fee for your DVR. :p

Well you said subscriptionless meaning with subscription to services .

there are plenty of basic vcr like dvrs . Personally I wuld toward making your own with linux and myth tv and a video capture card.

Sorry--by "subscriptionless" I meant for the recording device, not for my DirecTV package.

What I'm finding is that many HDD devices have some type of subscription service. e.g. Tivo. There are some out there without it like Magnavox. But I'm coming up empty on those that will play back in HD.

I know the DirecTV DVR service is fairly nominal. But the way I look at it, I've got a VCR that's still functioning from the 1990s. I would have paid over $1000 over the course of it's lifetime if I had been suckered into some monthly plan.

That's a little different. No provider offers "subscriptionless" HDDVR's. Tivo does offer both lifetime and mothly subscriptions for their DVR's. Everyone else offers monthly subscriptions for their equipment, Comcast, Dish, Fios, Direct, etc. If you only want one receiver, there is no receiver fee, but there is a DVR fee. Same with Dish. Comcast will charge you for the DVR depending on the package, unless you purchase your own TIVO.

S~

Several Alternatives for DVR services (no DVR subscription fees)

Interesting. I'll check that out. The HDTV and computer are in the same room, so IR would work. Thx!

Actually you do have another option! Look for a DVD Recorder that supports Time Slip with something called DVD-RAM...

See this player here:

Amazon.com: Panasonic DMR-ES15S DVD Recorder with DV Input: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31MZX0JVSKL.@@AMEPARAM@@31MZX0JVSKL

From the product description:

"Panasonic's Time Slip function consists of two features designed to give you added flexibility and control when making DVD recordings: Chasing Playback and Simultaneous Record & Play. With Chasing Playback, you don't have to wait for an entire program to be recorded before watching it from beginning to end. This feature allows you to watch a program that's currently being recorded from any point that's already been recorded--while continuing to record the live program in progress. Simultaneous Record & Play allows you to record a program onto a disc while simultaneously watching any other program that's previously been recorded on the same disc."

"DVD-RAM discs are a great choice for temporary storage of recorded material as it can be rewritten more than DVD-RW."

Might not give 1080p HD but depending on your TV size you will not likely notice much of a difference between 720p and 1280p...

Here is another option that I currently use:

Most shows you can download either via iTunes or using bit torrents... but then you have to watch them on your computer and you can't really do a whole lot of surfing or work on the PC while the video file is playing...

the new 1080p Option
Amazon.com: Nbox HD 1080p TV Media Player with HDMI Out - Supports SD, USB Drive, USB External Hard Drive - Plays Your Favorite Video, Music, Pictures and E-Books on Your TV or Home Theater System - No PC Required: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41OrrIt9K5L.@@AMEPARAM@@41OrrIt9K5L

or

the older 720p Option

Amazon.com: NBOX TV Media Player - Supports SD/USB Drive/USB?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Bd2DxULlL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Bd2DxULlL

You can put downloaded video files onto a jump drive (8 GB flash drives currently cost under $20.00)... and then watch it in HD on your TV.

This option is better for the more technically savvy user though...

P.S. I HATE IR VIDEO TRANSMITTERS!!!!! Avoid these... they have never worked in my experience... I have an open floor plan with the kitchen and living room combined in one larger space. The TV in my living room is placed in a manner that make it impossible to see while cooking in the kitchen... So I bought a small LCD TV for the kitchen area... Rather than worrying about wiring, I though I would try an IR Video Sender... The signal was grainy beyond recognition 90% of the time... each time I turned the tv on I would spend literally 5 hours adjusting the video sender to get a better signal... I was not really that picky about quality... I wouldn't have minded some static... I am talking like audio and picture going out constantly... It was miserable!!! DO NOT GO THERE!!! the two devices where maybe 20 feet apart... totally worthless and everyone I know who has tried these say they are terrible! I ended up running a cable line over to behind the fridge...

Last edited:
Actually you do have another option! Look for a DVD Recorder that supports Time Slip with something called DVD-RAM...

See this player here:

Amazon.com: Panasonic DMR-ES15S DVD Recorder with DV Input: Electronics

From the product description:

"Panasonic's Time Slip function consists of two features designed to give you added flexibility and control when making DVD recordings: Chasing Playback and Simultaneous Record & Play. With Chasing Playback, you don't have to wait for an entire program to be recorded before watching it from beginning to end. This feature allows you to watch a program that's currently being recorded from any point that's already been recorded--while continuing to record the live program in progress. Simultaneous Record & Play allows you to record a program onto a disc while simultaneously watching any other program that's previously been recorded on the same disc."

"DVD-RAM discs are a great choice for temporary storage of recorded material as it can be rewritten more than DVD-RW."

Might not give 1080p HD but depending on your TV size you will not likely notice much of a difference between 720p and 1280p...

Here is another option that I currently use:

Most shows you can download either via iTunes or using bit torrents... but then you have to watch them on your computer and you can't really do a whole lot of surfing or work on the PC while the video file is playing...

the new 1080p Option
Amazon.com: Nbox HD 1080p TV Media Player with HDMI Out - Supports SD, USB Drive, USB External Hard Drive - Plays Your Favorite Video, Music, Pictures and E-Books on Your TV or Home Theater System - No PC Required: Electronics

or

the older 720p Option

Amazon.com: NBOX TV Media Player - Supports SD/USB Drive/USB…

You can put downloaded video files onto a jump drive (8 GB flash drives currently cost under $20.00)... and then watch it in HD on your TV.

This option is better for the more technically savvy user though...

P.S. I HATE IR VIDEO TRANSMITTERS!!!!! Avoid these... they have never worked in my experience... I have an open floor plan with the kitchen and living room combined in one larger space. The TV in my living room is placed in a manner that make it impossible to see while cooking in the kitchen... So I bought a small LCD TV for the kitchen area... Rather than worrying about wiring, I though I would try an IR Video Sender... The signal was grainy beyond recognition 90% of the time... each time I turned the tv on I would spend literally 5 hours adjusting the video sender to get a better signal... I was not really that picky about quality... I wouldn't have minded some static... I am talking like audio and picture going out constantly... It was miserable!!! DO NOT GO THERE!!! the two devices where maybe 20 feet apart... totally worthless and everyone I know who has tried these say they are terrible! I ended up running a cable line over to behind the fridge...

The IR blaster I was reffering two was just so the pc could change the channel on the reciever.

Thanks Kenny. That was a big hole in my search (DVD-RAM). ...it's looking like this may be what I'm after.

Awesome :) Hopefully that works for you! I think it is silly that no one has come out with a truly subscription-less DVR device... Basically, all some people want is a Hard Drive that can record TV programs (No need for a fancy guide or program suggestions like TV)... just something to replace the VCR for day to day recording. You can get a 1 TB (Terabyte) Hard Drive for around $70 or $80... and you can get a digital tuner box (not a converter box but an clear QAM digital tuner like in a HDTV) for around $60... So why not come out with a simple to use no frills TV to Hard Drive recorder that doesn't require a monthly service... paying a monthly service fee after you've already purchased the Hard Drive essentially seems silly to me. I guess there were some options like this a few years back, but Tivo and the Cables/Satellite company's pushed them off the market... No these pre-HDTV hard drive records are only available used and are ridiculously expensive (like $500 or more). Even DVD-RAM has been pushed into relative obscurity...

I am not sure how Time Warner, DISH Network, Direct TV, and Tivo managed to force companies to stop producing these products so people would be forced to buy their product (the full cost of the Hard Drive and device production cost) and then pay a monthly service fee on top of it ($13 x 12 months = an additional $156 revenue in addition to the device cost of around $200)!

It's a really odd situation. There's no shortage of HDTV capture cards/devices for computers. But as soon as you start going through a DVD player, all the road blocks come out.

honestly tivo got lawsuit happy a few years ago and most place just stop making them as it was cheaper then dealing with tivo.

Did a little search online and the lawsuits are still on-going... TiVo essentially claims that any thing that digitally records live TV infringes on their patent... which doesn't make any sense!!! But, being a large corporation, the threat of litigation (even if baseless) and legal fees seem to have scared off any competition.

TiVo is currently in federal appeals court with Direct TV, Dish Network, and Time Warner Cable claiming that the cable and satellite providers are offering DVR products that violate their patent. But if they succeeded in being the only television recording option in the United States (besides an old 1980's VCR on ebay), wouldn't the company then be in violation of U.S. antitrust laws by establishing a monopoly?

His best beat for a hddvr function is to use myth tv box with an hd capture card and ir transmitter to record and playback content.

How much would these items cost the guy ?
He'll probably end up spending 3 years worth of DVR service for the item he's looking for and onot use it after that, thus losing money in the long haul.

Video capture cards are not expensive at all. It's more the inconvenience of running another cable across the room + learning curve + leaving the computer on for hours to record late night shows.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)