r10 trouble

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ballard157

Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
north carolina
Our tivo r10 has started to freeze in the middle of recording a program. I have to reset the unit to get out of the freeze. Nothing is recorded while it is in this freeze.
Any ideas of how to solve this?
We love the features on the r10. I bought this unit to replace our old one after dissatisfaction with the "update" unit replacing our old r10.
If I have to replace this. What should I buy? The standard def option offered by Directv doesn't look too good.
I need some ideas.

Contemplate switching to an HD DVR.

What you spend in trying to revive the R10 might pay for HD service required to lease an HD DVR.

It won't be TiVO, but it doesn't much look like TiVo is going to be an option.

If you can't leave the TiVo environment behind, the HR10 may be an option that doesn't require subscribing to HD programming.

R10 problems

thanks, We can't see the two satellites required to get HD or to get Dish. Cable is not available. So we're stuck with Directv standard def. We were happy enough until the DVR started freezing. It does it about the same time every night, around time for the news we like.
Any ideas about the standard def DVR we would get if we order the one offered by Directv?
Are there any available elsewhere I should consider?

The R15 or R16 are the SD options. They use old school NDS "inspired" software that is relatively unremarkable at best.

Options

There is another alternative here: DirecTV R10 DVR with TiVo TiVo Upgrade Kits and Hard Drives Scroll down to professional Upgrade Services, I found that quite interesting; however, they may not be able to recover all your programming if the disk is damaged. I chatted on-line with WeeKnees and they suggested if you wanted to limit the cost, purchase the HDD upgrade and install it yourself. If it still isn't working, check out the Tivo Community forum or you'd need the flat-fee repair. IDT you'd like the flat-fee repair cost: $169!

If you're considering replacing the HDD or repair, ask Directv for some credits on your account.

Being that you can't seem to upgrade to HD, IMHO, the R15 and R16 don't compare to Tivo.

I actually have a R10 here that I don't anticipate using. PM me if you're interested. I may call Weaknees and see if it has any redeemable value. Here's one I found on Ebay: USED DIRECT TV DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDING TiVo DVR R10 - eBay (item 120554499740 end time Sep-05-10 14:54:54 PDT) (and no, it's not mine).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)