No Goltv on Dish?

try Expressvu! channel 404!

hello my friend! have u tried Expressvu yet? Bell carried GolTV for 2 years running! just use yellowbook to find a canadian address & subscribe to their programming! :)

If you press info at Goltv it has the announcement for the Emirates Cup games, but the image is from Fox Sports Espanol

I'm watching a dodgy internet stream of the matches while Fox espanol shows Spanish girdle advertisements instead.

And to think I was excited for Aug 1st and all the new HD

Just one more reason why i decided to jump to Directv ... the way Dish does business is always a$$ backwards. Can anyone remember the last time Directv pulled a channel because it wasn't getting its own way in a contract negotiation ?

All this screaming and shouting about "Dish is doing this to save us from rising prices" is bull ... Directv is maybe $3-5 more expensive per month .... and this is AFTER the first two years or so of discounts that you get for making the switch)

Directv never seems to manage to annoy the end user in the process of re-negotiating contracts.

Things like this simply make me wonder why i stuck with this tin-pot company for so long.

This one is a deal breaker for me as well. I've already priced out Direct TV and aside from being a PITA to schedule an appointment for setup there is no real difference in overall cost for me. I was a bit miffed to lose Voom for World Sports HD's coverage of La Liga but this is too big a blow.

I've sent the obligatory emails to CS and CEO and the response is just 'we have other soccer channels' which is kind of like saying we cut off ABC but you still have CBS and NBC.

Poor form Dish...Very poor form especially considering the timing of the Emirates Cup.

If you are a supporter of any team in any league that is aired on GolTV, then this is a definite no-brainer deal breaker. The idea that other soccer channels would be an equal substitute is flawed, and one must assume that the higher-ups realize this. In addition to losing English speaking fans, Dish also would stand to lose more Dish Latino subscribers (I think that if this forum were in Spanish, then there would be a substantially higher number of posts on this topic), which probably gives them some incentive to negotiate a deal. At least, that's my hope.

Just one more reason why i decided to jump to Directv ... the way Dish does business is always a$$ backwards. Can anyone remember the last time Directv pulled a channel because it wasn't getting its own way in a contract negotiation ?)

GolTV is an advertising supported channel, not a subscription supported channel like Setanta.

When GolTV raises their rates, Dish Network gets no advantage from that. They just pay more for the same thing. When Setanta raises their rates, Dish Network (and DirecTV) gets a percentage.

GolTV should concentrate on keeping Dish's 12 million potential viewers that they can tout to their advertisers.

A good example is when the price of gasoline goes up $1 per gallon, someone gets our extra $1 and we still just get the same gallon of gasoline. No benefit to us. So, we use less gasoline.

GolTV is raising its rates to Dish Network, and Dish is just getting the same GolTV - no benefit to Dish. So, they are "using less GolTV"...

"Cheap Charlie" has saved Dish Network customers and DirecTV customers lots of money, by opposing greedy price increases by channels. They are greedy, because they have advertising too.

PS Olympics Soccer Channel in HD is uplinked to Dish Network and goes live on Wednesday morning. All day Olympics Soccer in HD. Does DirecTV have that ?? I hope so - for you guys who have it.

Sorry KS - your reply has got nothing to do with anything.

Advertising supported or not - has nothing to do with anything, the fact that dish network has no advantage from the channel or not - has nothing to do with anything ...

The only thing that matters is the fact that Directv seems to be able to sign new contracts with pretty much every single provider out there .. they never resort to pulling channels from air in order to make a point .. they never show complete and utter disregard to the subscriber when it comes to contract negotiations .. and yet - they manage to keep prices at or pretty close to the same levels that dish network has.

Cheap Charlie and his tin-pot satellite company only care about one thing ... their own bottom line .... time and time again they have screwed over the subscribers in order to do what is best for THEM .. they care about nobody else .... they only care about how much money they can save and how much of that money can go towards lining their own pockets ..

With the amount of times they have played hardball over the years - Dish packages should be at least $20 per subscriber cheaper than directv's ...

Quit making excuses for them ... they are cheap .. if you want to be sure that you will be able to see the programming that you enjoy this week .. next week .. or next year -= there can only be one satellite channel for you.

While there's no doubt that GolTV is supported by advertising, the touting of 12 million potential viewers is a joke. No one in this country randomly decides to watch a soccer match from Ecuador, Guatemala, Germany or even Spain which is one of the top leagues in the world. This is a niche channel, but the viewers tend to be passionate about the product. This is not part of the silly Dish is better than Direct argument or vice versa. If Dish loses GolTV, a number of subscribers will leave period. To Direct, to cable, to Fios, etc.. While it's nice that the Olympics Soccer Channel is available, it in no way compares to the loss of a domestic league like Spain's. That would be like saying no more NBA games, but look here's the Olympics Basketball Channel.

PS. I don't know who is more at fault, Dish or GolTV, and in the end it doesn't matter. If GolTV is dropped, I will just switch to a provider that has it, period.

The only thing that matters is the fact that Directv seems to be able to sign new contracts with pretty much every single provider out there .. they never resort to pulling channels from air in order to make a point .. they never show complete and utter disregard to the subscriber when it comes to contract negotiations .. and yet - they manage to keep prices at or pretty close to the same levels that dish network has.

If you talk to anyone in the cable/satellite industry, they are of the unanimous opinion that DirecTV prices would be a lot higher if Dish Network did not exist.

Dish Network does the negotiating with the channels, and then DirecTV lowers their prices when necessary to stay competitive with Dish.

Feel free to subscribe to DirecTV - nothing wrong with that - Charlie himself has said on more than one occasion, when asked about NFL Sunday Ticket - "if you want that, subscribe to DirecTV".

But don't crticize Dish for negotiating to keep your prices down...

PS. I don't know who is more at fault, Dish or GolTV,

I would suggest - given that Goltv remains active on all other providers .. and given that Dish seems to randomly drop these "niche" channels on a whim from time to time - i would be prepared to hazard a guess as to who is at fault.

;)

But don't crticize Dish for negotiating to keep your prices down...

Dish are negotiating for one reason and one reason only ... to provide Charlie with another one or two places up the "rich list" ladder.

Directv isn't going to lower prices to compete with dish if it puts them into a position of losing money on any of its packages ..

The fact that the price difference is negligible between the two providers suggests that the Dish tactics of dropping providers when they don't get their own way does not actually gain them all that much of an advantage ..

Which in turn shows that Dish cares not one iota what its end users want or need .. it does business to make as much money as possible whilst screwing over the subscriber at every opportunity they see that might make them an extra few hundred dollars.

As i said - the choice people have is .. 1. Pay dish $3-5 less per month and wonder if the next channel to bite the dust is going to be one that they watch - or 2. Pay directv $3-5 per month more and just watch TV without worrying at all ...

As long as you are happy in category one ... i'm happy in category two :)

I'll gladly pay a few dollars more (although not for a couple of years given the discounts that i got at signup) for the peace of mind ...

If you talk to anyone in the cable/satellite industry, they are of the unanimous opinion that DirecTV prices would be a lot higher if Dish Network did not exist.

edit to add : - I'm sure if you talk to those same people - they would also be of the unanimous opinion that Dish prices would be a lot higher if Directv did not exist ...

Great things words .. you can twist them however you like without ever making a point that actually means anything.

;)

I would suggest - given that Goltv remains active on all other providers .. and given that Dish seems to randomly drop these "niche" channels on a whim from time to time - i would be prepared to hazard a guess as to who is at fault.

Some speculation is that GolTV wanted to be in a lower package than AT250 - that would increase the number of potential viewers that they can cite to advertisers.

But AT250 is necessary for "Fox Soccer Channel", so it doesn't make sense for that to change.

As others have mentioned in this thread, people don't casually tune to GolTV just to watch random sports programming, they tune to it to watch a specific league.

So, it really should be "a la carte" like Setanta, in which case, the whole arrangement would benefit Dish, as they could remove that cost from their AT250 costs.

Directv isn't going to lower prices to compete with dish if it puts them into a position of losing money on any of its packages .
I gather you don't know much about the history of DirecTV Corporation. You might want to see how many past quarters they lost money. Rupert ran the company solely as a way of having a satellite presence in the USA.

There are dozens of companies that lose money in order to compete - look up "Advanced Micro Devices", for example.

So, it really should be "a la carte" like Setanta, in which case, the whole arrangement would benefit Dish, as they could remove that cost from their AT250 costs.

Unless of course ... like me .. you believe that having Goltv in At250 actually benefits Dish .. because they gain subscribers from all of those people who want to see this channel and its "niche" programming ... and so they upgrade to the highest tier in order to be able to do so ...

we will never know of course .. but it seems like Dish agrees with you ... they obviously don't feel that the price they pay for Goltv is worth the amount of subscribers that watch that station.

I guess they would rather all of those people that watch this station subscribe to Directv instead - that way they can take the channel down and not reduce anyone's bill ... and bump Charlie another place or two up the rich list.

:)

The sad thing is that Goltv - Dish contract has not yet expired. If their contract expired on July 31, Goltv should not allow Dish to have their channel info and schedule up.

I think that Dish just took Goltv out off the air with a current contract, I wonder if that's legal?

In the other hand, as I said before, if Goltv loses next year LA LIGA and Bundesliga, as they loss Calcio last year, the channel will be history....

I gather you don't know much about the history of DirecTV Corporation. You might want to see how many past quarters they lost money. Rupert ran the company solely as a way of having a satellite presence in the USA.

Rupert isn't in charge anymore .... and directv has not run at a loss for a few years now ... you seem to be really grasping at straws here to try and find things to support your arguments.

;)

edit : sorry I'll leave this thread alone now ... i've had my fun.

Last edited:
kstuart- Are you a shareholder of Dish/Echostar or whatever it would be listed as?

I hold no illusions about "big business". Companies like Dish and Direct act out of economic self interest to maximize profits for their shareholders (if they are public companies). Your argument that if Dish didn't exist, prices would be higher would also be true if you substitute Direct for Dish in the statement. If it bothered Dish that they always negotiate the deals first (if this is indeed the case), then they could just not do it and let someone else have that burden. I have nothing against Dish. I don't even care so much that this gamesmanship is happening now in the off-season. If that's what it takes to hammer out a deal, so be it. But rest assured, if by the start of the season there is no deal, it's bye-bye dish. For all your support of Dish, if for whatever reason, FSC or Setanta and its Middlesbrough matches were no longer available on Dish on any tier or a la carte, etc.., but was available on Direct and Comcast in your area, would you stay with Dish? If you were a true supporter (i.e. emotional attachment to your club), I would think not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)