No Goltv on Dish?

I've sent the obligatory emails to CS and CEO and the response is just 'we have other soccer channels' which is kind of like saying we cut off ABC but you still have CBS and NBC.

Funny that you say that.

My local ABC affiliate, WOI, was pulled off the air yesterday. And that is exactly what those clowns at E* said.

Last time I checked, CBS does not carry the same shows as ABC.

I hold no illusions about "big business". Companies like Dish and Direct act out of economic self interest to maximize profits for their shareholders (if they are public companies). Your argument that if Dish didn't exist, prices would be higher would also be true if you substitute Direct for Dish in the statement. If it bothered Dish that they always negotiate the deals first (if this is indeed the case), then they could just not do it and let someone else have that burden.

It sounds like you are not familiar with the history of DBS satellite (even though you can spell British town names and pronounce Spanish stadia names... are you Polish, btw?).

Ten years ago, channels owned by companies that also owned cable systems, used to refuse to sell those channels to Dish, or else at ridiculous prices far higher than they quoted to cable systems much smaller than Dish.

Eventually, Dish had to go to the FCC, where a decision was made that channels had to be made available to all providers, and at equivalent prices.

When Rupert owned DirecTV, the channels dared not use the same tactics, because he also owned channels that their systems needed to be competitive.

Lately, the channels have shifted their tactic to "which package are we in". It's six of one and half a dozen of the other. If the channel is getting 20 cents per subscriber, sure they want to move from the package with 2 million subscribers to the one with 10 million subscribers. Of course, this simply multiplies Dish's cost by five, without providing any benefit to Dish, because almost every viewer interested in the channel is subscribing to the higher package already. (How many AT100 subscribers have ever heard of "La Liga" ?)

People in this Forum tend to feel that if their ice cream cone falls to the ground, then it is Charlie's fault. Yeah, Dish Network is not a charity, but neither are the channels they carry - both are businesses looking to maximize profit.

And again, I repeat, feel free to subscribe to DirecTV - nothing wrong with that - Charlie himself has said on more than one occasion, when asked about NFL Sunday Ticket - "if you want that, subscribe to DirecTV".

It sounds like you are not familiar with the history of DBS satellite (even though you can spell British town names and pronounce Spanish stadia names... are you Polish, btw?).

Ten years ago, channels owned by companies that also owned cable systems, used to refuse to sell those channels to Dish, or else at ridiculous prices far higher than they quoted to cable systems much smaller than Dish.

Eventually, Dish had to go to the FCC, where a decision was made that channels had to be made available to all providers, and at equivalent prices.

When Rupert owned DirecTV, the channels dared not use the same tactics, because he also owned channels that their systems needed to be competitive.

Lately, the channels have shifted their tactic to "which package are we in". It's six of one and half a dozen of the other. If the channel is getting 20 cents per subscriber, sure they want to move from the package with 2 million subscribers to the one with 10 million subscribers. Of course, this simply multiplies Dish's cost by five, without providing any benefit to Dish, because almost every viewer interested in the channel is subscribing to the higher package already. (How many AT100 subscribers have ever heard of "La Liga" ?)

People in this Forum tend to feel that if their ice cream cone falls to the ground, then it is Charlie's fault. Yeah, Dish Network is not a charity, but neither are the channels they carry - both are businesses looking to maximize profit.

And again, I repeat, feel free to subscribe to DirecTV - nothing wrong with that - Charlie himself has said on more than one occasion, when asked about NFL Sunday Ticket - "if you want that, subscribe to DirecTV".

I understand your point, but we are talking about a channel that transmits also in spanish, so I have a question, how many dish latino suscribers have a spanish package in order to watch GOLTV

I know that americans only care about sports that they will win, since USA NEVER will win a World Cup, few americans care about soccer, they care about other sports that they are play in the USA, but they called WORLD NBA SERIES, WORLD MLB SERIES, FOOTBALL WORLD CHAMPION etc...

What I am trying to say is that I would like to know how many dish latino suscribers are out there, and how many will leave Dish if Goltv is not available by September 1st

It will also be interesting to know what will happen if Dish decides in the last minute not to air the Superbowl for fee reasons.......

It will also be interesting to know what will happen if Dish decides in the last minute not to air the Superbowl for fee reasons.......

Exactly!

Im interested in something that a certain channel distributes, you cant offer me another channel if it doesnt carry what im interested in...

GolTv is one of a kind channel. You cant compare it with Setanta... Setanta isnt a soccer exclusive channel.

I understand your point, but we are talking about a channel that transmits also in spanish, so I have a question, how many dish latino suscribers have a spanish package in order to watch GOLTV

I know that americans only care about sports that they will win, since USA NEVER will win a World Cup, few americans care about soccer, they care about other sports that they are play in the USA, but they called WORLD NBA SERIES, WORLD MLB SERIES, FOOTBALL WORLD CHAMPION etc...

What I am trying to say is that I would like to know how many dish latino suscribers are out there, and how many will leave Dish if Goltv is not available by September 1st

I just found out about Gooool tv issues with dish, I guess I am going to start looking for another provider. Enough is enough world cup qualifiers are around the corner again and I can't wait for dish network to resolve this kind of issues this time. :mad:

What ever the reasons, even if Charlie the cowboy is saving me from the big bad man, without GOL TV in his lineup he will force me into his direct competition's hands.

It maybe worth it to Charlie to save $ on not carrying GOLTV but he will lose a $150/month customer and D* will gain one....and I'm not even a Spanish or German team supporter (I'm a Celtic Supporter.) I don't even watch most of their programming but they are exclusive right holders to 2 HUGE Leagues and I enjoy watching a Sunday afternoon La Liga match.

As it was mentioned before Charlie manages to exert leverage by inconveniencing his customers.

I know a lot of Spanish/Latino Dish subscribers that rely on GOLTV for their coverage since it's bi-lingual. I'm sure they'll be moving on as well

Dish has a very good idea of how many subscribers watch GolTV, and their actions take that into account.

Note that the GolTV program information is still in the 9-day Guide.

I have not previously seen that happen during a dispute, usually Dish will remove everything.

This might indicate that Dish feels that a resolution of the dispute is quite possible in the next few days. And note that the Setanta Free Preview for Dish Latino subscribers is listed as - 2 months or when the dispute with GolTV is resolved, whichever comes first.

The only prior dispute with that positive a characterization was the Lifetime dispute...

Dude, you are missing my point. In fact, you are missing the point of most people commenting here. The point is that losing access to regularly watch a club or national side (I forgot about all those Dish Latino subs who would lose WC qualifiers) that you have an emotional interest in when access to those matches is readily available through multiple other sources at more or less the same price is a deal breaker. In fact, it is also a deal breaker to others (like the Celtic supporter above) who don't have a specific emotional interest but want to watch teams and players of the highest level. A deal breaker no matter what this company or that CEO did yesterday, last year, or in the year 47 BC. A deal breaker no matter whom is at fault.

I could care less about the history of DBS satellite. I never blamed your boy Charlie for this. I don't need you (twice) to parrot Charlie and tell me to subscribe to Direct. I can make that determination myself. If you feel the need to respond to me, please answer my question instead of giving me an unsolicited and off-topic history lesson. So let me rephrase the question.

In spite of all that you claim Charlie and Dish have done for the history of the world and satellite TV, saving us from the collective greed of Rupert and the cable companies, would you, a professed Boro supporter, subscribe to Direct or Comcast if your club's Prem matches were suddenly unavailable on Dish?

To answer your question, not Polish (where did that come from?). In Nor*Cal like you, SF born and raised, worked in Spain for many years. Generally satisfied with Dish, the VOOM thing sucked but not a deal breaker. One thing I agree with you on is the fact that the GolTV program info is still up bodes well for where this may end up. Which is why I'm in a wait and see mode.

since USA NEVER will win a World Cup

never say never...

anyway, once Jozy signed with Villareal, I was really excited about watching him in HD sometimes on World Sport... but that got dropped

now the same is happening with GolTV and I'm pretty mad...
I would watch GolTV News over Fox Soccer Report b/c i know that for the first half hour, they show EPL news (overdone imo) and day-old MLS highlights (which I would have seen by then)... GolTV talks about Europe and I liked that...

The Bundesliga is great and some of the WC and Euro wualifiers were good too (I have RAI so i don't bother with GolTV during Italy/Coppa Italia games but w/e)

Cmon Dish, help soccer grow in this country...

Well... the Emirates tourney is over. Second year that Dish missed it (added Setanta 1 week too late last year)

I hope that Dish and GOLTV can find a solution in the next 2 weeks.

Dude, you are missing my point...A deal breaker no matter whom is at fault.

I have been responding to jokeworm's posts on the subject that blame Charlie and Dish, simply because Dish is the one who is removing the channel as leverage in negotiations.

I did not criticize anyone for subscribing or unsubscribing, just for blaming. I never commented on it being a "deal breaker" for someone else.

So, the only time I replied to your post when you chiming in on the same subject of pricing.

Just to clarify concerning your point of a "deal breaker" for some particular person.

If Fox Soccer Channel suddenly decided to require Dish to pay $20 more per subscriber to AT250 (one or two million people, I would estimate), Dish could not afford to do so - they currently only charge $10 more for AT250.

There would be a certain number of soccer fans who gladly pay the $20 per month. But since the channel (like GolTV) is in the AT250, then all AT250 subscribers have to pay the increase.

So, by simple mathematics, the fact that a channel is a "deal breaker" for some people is unfortunate and irrelevant.

Mathematics says "how much would this channel's increase raise the price of AT250 in February 2009 and is that acceptable to the majority of AT250 subscribers, and if not, is losing the channel more accebtable to the majority of AT250 subscribers".

Since most AT250 subcribers don't even know that GolTV exists, Dish cannot raise the price of AT250 to pay more to GolTV.

Besides how mad we are about this, before we jump to Directv, we should consider the following. For the Bundesliga and La Liga the 2008-09 is the final season of their contracts, so maybe Goltv won't be carrying either one next year, remember what happen to Goltv last year when the contract was up with Calcio....I heard that ESPN Deportes will be bidding next year for LA LIGA...

Yeah, but that's a whole season missed to play the wait-and-see game. When I signed up for Dish, they also had a La Lige game a week in HD (20 games if you count all the repeats!) on Voom's World Sports. Now we get no La Liga whatsoever. Very disappointing.

Add to that the non-Dish issue of Real Madrid cancelling their trip to the USA (and my town) this year, and I'm a very La Liga deprived little boy.

Here you go kstuart. For someone who proclaims to know everything about the history of DBS and Dish negotiations, you sure know how to play dumb when you want to avoid answering a question you don't want to answer. You mean to tell us all that you forgot how to scroll and read bold print yet you can search for the one previous post i had made in this forum. Give us all a break.

In spite of all that you claim Charlie and Dish have done for the history of the world and satellite TV, saving us from the collective greed of Rupert and the cable companies, would you, a professed Boro supporter, subscribe to Direct or Comcast if your club's Prem matches were suddenly unavailable on Dish?

Actually, how about you just refuse to answer the question and let this discussion die. It would make more sense than continuing to bait me. We understand.. you answer "yes" and you contradict your irrelevant "verbiage", you answer "no" and you reveal yourself to be something less than a true football fan.

IF the answer were "yes" - why would that contradict anything I've said ?

I said twice, and you acknowledged it once that I said it:

I think your problem is that you do too much jumping to conclusions.

If someone said " Jay Leno is a space alien with three heads and six arms " and I say " No, he is not. " that doesn't mean that I am a "Jay Leno supporter" and agree with everything he says.

I am typing this in Internet Explorer browser. This does not mean that I'm a "Microsoft supporter", just because I use IE and don't use Firefox.

The usual point of view in this Forum is "if your ice cream cone falls to the ground, it's Charlie's fault". If I contradict the endless jumping to unsupported conclusions, it doesn't mean that I "automatically" support Charlie and Dish Network.

PS Originally there were no Boro matches on TV at all (except for the FA Cup Final), and people used to use IRC to get text reports from people listening on the radio in England.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts