No Goltv on Dish?

To get the Directv package with Goltv and FSC, its a lot more than $3-$5 a month more. Its more like $15-$20 more. Their premier package is like $105 a month after the special deals are gone. And that doesn't include their DVR fees and equipment lease fees. I pay $92 now for AT250 and ultimate HD, and that DOES include all my fees. I'm sorry, one channel gone is not worth paying all that extra and dealing with a new provider. Not to mention that I would have to get two dvr boxes to match my setup now, making the direcTv price even more. GolTV has continued to lose leagues over the years. Their only two remaining big leagues expire after this season. They don't have the best history of holding onto leagues. I enjoy the sunday Spainish league games as well, but not enough to go thru the hastle of switching providers, and to pay substantially more per month.

You still haven't answered the question.

In spite of all that you claim Charlie and Dish have done for the history of the world and satellite TV, saving us from the collective greed of Rupert and the cable companies, would you, a professed Boro supporter, subscribe to Direct or Comcast if your club's Prem matches were suddenly unavailable on Dish?

To get the Directv package with Goltv and FSC, its a lot more than $3-$5 a month more. Its more like $15-$20 more.

It depends on your configuration ... it'll be different for everyone :)

For me - directv is around $3-5 more expensive after my "deals" expire .. of course - before they expire .. it's around $25 per month less expensive for the first year and then around $5-10 less expensive for the second year ... so overall when you take into consideration all of the discounts ... it'd probably take around 6-7 years before Directv started costing me more than Dish did ...

I would imagine that I'd probably switch providers again at least one or twice in that kind of time-frame.

I'll go wherever i can get the biggest bang for my $ ... if they are going to constantly throw the discounts out there - I'm more than willing to take them.

:hungry::hungry::hungry:

It depends on your configuration ... it'll be different for everyone :)

For me - directv is around $3-5 more expensive after my "deals" expire .. of course - before they expire .. it's around $25 per month less expensive for the first year and then around $5-10 less expensive for the second year ... so overall when you take into consideration all of the discounts ... it'd probably take around 6-7 years before Directv started costing me more than Dish did ...

I would imagine that I'd probably switch providers again at least one or twice in that kind of time-frame.

I'll go wherever i can get the biggest bang for my $ ... if they are going to constantly throw the discounts out there - I'm more than willing to take them.

:hungry::hungry::hungry:

What configuration do you have that gives you FSC and GolTV at $20 less per month than Dish??? I go to their site to see if their prices have dropped or if they have offered those channels in lower tiers. It appears that only the Premier package has them, and it has a regular price of $103.99 per month, at least according to their site. When you add in at least another $10 for DVR charges and STB lease charges, that makes that package more than $20 a month more than my current Dish package.

What configuration do you have that gives you FSC and GolTV at $20 less per month than Dish???

The "sports pack" for $12 has both fox soccer and Gol Tv ..
So you can add the sports pack to whatever base package you need.

:)

I'm getting a "discount" price right now with $18 or so per month for a years basic discount - then $10 per month for two years for a AAA deal etc etc ...

But I have the plus HD DVR ... for $72.99 per month .. + $12 sports pack + HD extra pack = $90 per month total price .. this includes HD, DVR fee's, locals etc etc

I only have one DVR on the account.

with dish a similar service would be ... Americas top 250 - $55 + $5 for locals + $20 for HD + $6 for equipment fee's = $86 total price. (i could not figure out from the website what the difference between HD gold and HD platinum was. But as i have the HD extra pack with directv - i would guess HD platinum was the equivalent)

So dish would work out to be $4 less per month for me ... but i can deal with the $4 price difference because i prefer the HD (speed HD was one of my Must-haves and Dish does not have my local HD's) , customer service, DVR software, and the peace of mind of knowing that my channels won't be pulled at the first sign of a contract dispute.

This is not counting the $18 per month for 12 month and $10 per month for 24 months discounts that i am getting... which makes the total package for me $24 cheaper for the first 12 months - then $6 cheaper for the next 12 months.

If you only want FSC and GOL .. i'm guessing that you could add the $12 sports pack to a lower tiered package ?

:)

As i said - it will be different for everyone - for me Directv is the best choice right now - for you it may not be .. that is why having a choice is good :)

Then you probably want to switch every two years. :D

Quite possible - yes ... as long as by the time i was ready to switch - dish had the channels that were on my "must have" list ... unfortunately right now (and when the time came to make the call) .. they don't .. so i made the switch ..

For right now - i'm getting everything i need at a lower price than anyone else can offer me ... If the price difference remains just $4 at the end of my 2 year contract - i'll probably stick with direct ... I'd probably pay up to $10 per month more for the same programming before I'd have to consider whether or not it would be worth making the switch ... simply because i prefer the hardware (the signal on my setup holds up under a storm much better than dish ever did) , i prefer the DVR software, i prefer the on-shore customer service, i prefer the HD choice, and i like the peace of mind that i have that my favorite show probably won;t be pulled from under my feet at any time.

I'm not even a little bit loyal to any company ... the one that can give me what i need for the price I'm willing to pay gets my money. You sure as heck won't ever find me saying that "I'll never use company A or B" never is a long time ;)

You still haven't answered the question.

But you have clearly indicated that the rationale for the question is flawed.

To make it simple, you said that if someone said "Yes" then their support for Dish was suspect, and if they said "No" then their support for Soccer was suspect.

It's a nonsense distinction.

Dish is a company, run by flawed human beings.

GolTV is a company, run by flawed human beings.

FIFA is an organization, run by very flawed human beings. ;)

La Liga is an organization that appears to be run by someone who rolls dice prior to every decision.

I don't support any of them.

All I'm doing in this thread is contradicting statements that are not based on any sort of factual information.

People should go to the movie theater and watch whatever movie they think they will enjoy. People should subscribe to whatever TV service provides them with what they want to see.

GolTV is an advertising supported channel, not a subscription supported channel like Setanta.

When GolTV raises their rates, Dish Network gets no advantage from that. They just pay more for the same thing. When Setanta raises their rates, Dish Network (and DirecTV) gets a percentage.

GolTV should concentrate on keeping Dish's 12 million potential viewers that they can tout to their advertisers.

A good example is when the price of gasoline goes up $1 per gallon, someone gets our extra $1 and we still just get the same gallon of gasoline. No benefit to us. So, we use less gasoline.

GolTV is raising its rates to Dish Network, and Dish is just getting the same GolTV - no benefit to Dish. So, they are "using less GolTV"...

"Cheap Charlie" has saved Dish Network customers and DirecTV customers lots of money, by opposing greedy price increases by channels. They are greedy, because they have advertising too.

PS Olympics Soccer Channel in HD is uplinked to Dish Network and goes live on Wednesday morning. All day Olympics Soccer in HD. Does DirecTV have that ?? I hope so - for you guys who have it.

It sure sounds like you support Dish over Direct here. It also sounds like you support Dish over GolTV in this dispute.

La Liga is an organization that appears to be run by someone who rolls dice prior to every decision.

All I'm doing in this thread is contradicting statements that are not based on any sort of factual information.

People should go to the movie theater and watch whatever movie they think they will enjoy. People should subscribe to whatever TV service provides them with what they want to see.

We are in agreement here.

But you have clearly indicated that the rationale for the question is flawed.

To make it simple, you said that if someone said "Yes" then their support for Dish was suspect, and if they said "No" then their support for Soccer was suspect.

It's a nonsense distinction.

Agreed across the board!

Let me qualify this. You very well may be correct that that GolTV is more "at fault" in this dispute. But, without being privy to the details of the standoff, you reflexively feel that this is true due to the past (in your view "good") negotiations of Dish. This does show a bias.

It sure sounds like you support Dish over Direct here. It also sounds like you support Dish over GolTV in this dispute.

I never bash DirecTV.

DirecTV offers TV channels, they tell you how much it will cost you, the equipment is installed, you watch TV.

Occasionally, people will have good or bad experiences depending on whether the person they talk to at the call center, or the installation person, is either great or incompetent.

As far as disputes go, we don't really have information about who is asking for what, and it would be hard for any of us to evaluate what is "reasonable", since we don't have information on all the other contracts.

This is one of the reasons that I question people who comment that "of course it is Dish's fault". How can we know ?

This is one of the reasons that I question people who comment that "of course it is Dish's fault". How can we know ?

Because this kinds stuff only ever happens with one provider ... If it ain't dish's fault - every other provider would randomly pull stations off air .. they don't.

As far as disputes go, we don't really have information about who is asking for what, and it would be hard for any of us to evaluate what is "reasonable", since we don't have information on all the other contracts.

Not having that information, thus making it difficult to evaluate "what is reasonable", did not stop you from trying to evaluate the situation earlier in this thread. And in both cases, the assumption was that GolTV was "at fault".

You introduced the "speculation" that GolTV wanted to move up a package

"Some speculation is that GolTV wanted to be in a lower package than AT250 - that would increase the number of potential viewers that they can cite to advertisers. But AT250 is necessary for "Fox Soccer Channel", so it doesn't make sense for that to change."

And, you previously made an argument based on the assumption that GolTV wants to raise their rates.

"When GolTV raises their rates, Dish Network gets no advantage from that. They just pay more for the same thing. When Setanta raises their rates, Dish Network (and DirecTV) gets a percentage. GolTV should concentrate on keeping Dish's 12 million potential viewers that they can tout to their advertisers."

There is also "speculation" on other forums that Dish wanted to lower the subscriber fee, which is at 6 cents. Of course, this is coming from sources in the GolTV camp, so who knows if this is true. It's a good thing that you want to defend Dish against knee-jerk unfounded criticism, but perhaps in doing so you overcompensate and defend them blindly.

You are taking these things out of context.

The paragraph about GolTV raising their rates was in response to a statement which implied that Dish should simply pay whatever channels were asking, in order that no channel ever be dropped.
The paragraph included a sentence about "When Setanta raises its rates..." which is not a an event that has occurred since Dish has added the channel, so I was clearly talking about the overall costs structure, rather than a specific event.

The paragraph citing the speculation was labeled as "speculation", so it automatically is identified as not based on verifiable fact.

Having said all that, Dish issued the following public statement when they removed the channel (translated from Spanish):

GolTV has removed this channel after asking unreasonable terms to renew the contract. We work to solve the problem.

PS It just occurred to me - that just as in the case of player contracts - the length of contract might be an issue here. People have mentioned that GolTV's contracts for La Liga and Bundesliga expire after one year. Perhaps Dish was unwilling to contract for longer than one year, due to the uncertainty of the value of the channel in a year...

Because this kinds stuff only ever happens with one provider ... If it ain't dish's fault - every other provider would randomly pull stations off air .. they don't.

They do !

Dish and DirecTV only are a small fraction of the providers.

Some examples from a three word Google search:

Time Warner cable pulls ABC stations in fee dispute

May 1, 2000
Web posted at: 8:31 p.m. EDT (0031 GMT)
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Time Warner and ABC were blaming each other Monday for the cable company's decision to pull the plug on ABC's owned and operated stations in a dispute over fees.
About 3.5 million cable homes were affected by the Time Warner removal of seven Disney-owned ABC stations, including stations broadcasting to New York City, portions of the Los Angeles area, Houston, Flint, Michigan, Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, Fresno, California, Toledo, Ohio and Philadelphia.
Time Warner -- which is a sister company to CNN.com, a Time Warner Inc. property -- charged that the disruption was the fault of the Walt Disney Company, which owns ABC.
"Disney is trying to inappropriately use its ownership of ABC to extract excessive and unreasonable terms for its cable channels -- terms that would add hundreds of millions of dollars in costs for Time Warner Communications and its cable customers," read a message from Time Warner to its Los Angeles subscribers.
arrow.orange.gif
WHAT YOU'RE MISSING:ABC's Monday night lineup:
All-star "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire"
"Arabian Nights," part two (miniseries)

"This is a punitive act, but Time Warner is punishing their own customers," said Arnold Kleiner, president and general manager of KABC in Los Angeles. "This blackout is a frightening foreshadowing of the implications of the Time Warner-AOL (America Online) merger."
The ABC signals were still on the air, and available to viewers who used rabbit ears with their televisions.
Time Warner said it had no signed agreement allowing it to continue to carry the ABC signals. ABC said it had given Time Warner permission on April 26 to continue to carry the stations.
An ABC spokeswoman told CNN, "ABC has given Time Warner Cable complete and unconditional authority to carry a signal until May 24th."

Dispute comes during key May sweeps

The dispute comes at a critical time for the ABC network, which is entering the critical May sweeps period, which helps determine what prices networks can charge advertisers in the coming months.
The spokeswoman said Time Warner is in violation of an FCC ruling that stations cannoot be dropped during a ratings "sweeps" period. She said ABC is petitioning the FCC for an order to force Time Warner to put the stations back on its systems.
In the next weeks, ABC is set to air four celebrity editions of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire," the conclusion of its miniseries "Arabian Nights," the Daytime Emmys, Saturday's Kentucky Derby and virtually all of its prime-time season finales. The first celebrity "Millionaire" airs Monday night.
In Washington, the FCC was reviewing Disney's appeal, a spokeswoman said. Representatives from both companies were meeting with FCC officials to discuss their positions.
Time Warner's contract to carry ABC's stations officially ended December 31, 1999, but negotiations to renew that agreement continually stalled over how much Time Warner should pay to carry ABC's programming, as allowed under the 1992 Cable TV Act.
Disney also wanted Time Warner to offer some of its other networks, including the new Toon Disney and the Soap Network. Disney also wanted The Disney Channel, as part of its basic programming instead of paid premium channels.

and one you'll find of particular interest:

Virgin Media pulls Sky channels from cable

Related entries: Televisions
Tags: demand, channel, entertainment, sky

Last night Virgin's carriage deal with Sky ended with a bump. Rather than stump up the extra money Sky demanded -- rumoured to be nearly double the amount Virgin was previously paying -- the cable company decided to ditch Sky's non-premium channels, yanking them from its programme listings.
While we have no doubt this is a stunt by Virgin to turn punters against Sky, and establish itself as a martyr in the entertainment industry, we can see why. Sky One is going to be the channel most people are going to miss. But many of the shows on that channel either end up being broadcast elsewhere, or are available via a video-on-demand service. If Crave was sceptical, we'd suggest the more Virgin makes its customers think it's all Murdoch's fault, the less likely they are to ask for refunds.
Those who love 24, Lost, Battlestar Galactica and Stargate will be gutted they can no longer watch those shows, but Virgin has already announced that its on-demand service Virgin Central will be offering episodes of Lost seasons one, two and three as well as The OC, Nip/Tuck and Alias. If they could add some of the other favourites, and classic episodes of The Simpsons, we think the pain would be significantly less.
Perhaps, like the Cylons, Virgin has a master plan. It's possible the company will launch its own general entertainment channel and try and poach some of Sky's biggest shows. Or perhaps it will try to show all of the biggest Sky One programmes on its Virgin Central on-demand service and try to cut out Sky entirely.
However you look at it, this isn't great news for the companies who make the programmes, who need broadcasting to work so they can earn money on their product. Virgin, like many others, offers super-fast broadband. It's increasingly easy for people to go to BitTorrent sites to get their American drama fix. The TV gods may squabble, but the great Internet god drives around them.
In addition to Sky One, Sky News and Sky Sports News, Virgin subscribers have also lost Sky Travel, but Crave is glad to see the back of that particular infomercial extravaganza -- perhaps one of the worst televisual offerings in the history of broadcasting. -IM

Here is an interesting one, refreshing our memory that Dish Network was instrumental in GolTV getting off the ground in the first place:
Dish Network Satellite TV to Offer New Soccer Network — GOL TV — in Spanish-Language Programming Packages
Sports/Entertainment/Business Editors and Soccer Writers
LITTLETON, Colo. & MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 17, 2003
EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH) announced today that its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service will add GOL TV(TM) to its Spanish-language, DISH Latino programming packages on Feb. 20 at no additional charge.
GOL TV is a new 24-hour, Spanish-language channel dedicated strictly to the world's most popular and passionate sport: Soccer. GOL TV will also provide 10 hours of original programming each day, including major international soccer news and events, including "Super Estadio," a live one-hour show broadcast from Mexico City which provides the most in-depth analysis of Mexican soccer. GOL TV offers hundreds of games each year from Mexico, Italy, El Salvador, Guatemala and South America. Additionally, GOL TV will broadcast programming from the Real Madrid TV Channel and the 2004 qualifying soccer matches from UEFA Cup, CONCACAF and EUROCOPA.
"Our customers will be pleased to know that DISH Network is the first to offer GOL TV nationwide," said Michael Schwimmer, senior vice president of Programming at EchoStar. "GOL TV complements DISH Network's expansive lineup of programming for Latinos, and brings hundreds of professional soccer games from around the world into the living rooms of soccer fans in the United States."
DISH Network will offer GOL TV on channel 632 in all three of its popular DISH Latino programming packages at no additional cost. A DISH 500 antenna is required to receive the new channel.
"We are particularly pleased to be introducing GOL TV on the DISH Network platform," said GOL TV Senior Vice President Enzo Francescoli, who is also a former professional soccer player from the Uruguayan National Selection and a living-legend of the game. "DISH Network's commitment as the leader in delivering Spanish-language programming to the U.S. Hispanic audience is a natural choice for GOL TV. We are delighted to offer GOL TV in each of DISH Network's Latino packages."
GOL TV is a subsidiary of Tenfield, Uruguay. The GOL TV signal, which is dedicated to all-soccer programming, is broadcast 24-hours x 7 days per week and is distributed across the United States.

They do !

Conceded .. I had never heard of it happening elsewhere - and over the past 7/8 years had never seen it with my own eyes anywhere other than with Dish ... but i guess it does happen elsewhere then.

Yeah i remember the virgin one well .. happened right about the time that LOST was back on air in the UK i think ... i used a fair amount of upload bandwidth that month ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)