No HBO on demand???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swzine

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
GA
Seriously??? I hope this is either and account error or I'm an idiot. Every cable company I've had has had this for years - comcast, time Warner, and even the crappy municipal cable company that finally made me decide to cut the cable.

DirecTV & Showtime/Viacom have always seemed to have a cozy relationship whereas with HBO, not so much.

It took us *years* to finally get HBO Zone--and we still don't have HBO Comedy (drop HBO Family West if you have to! lol)---yet we have all the Showtimes (save Showtime Family which I believe they reserve as a "cable exclusive") and the Starz channels. In addition, Showtime and Starz give DIrecTV special discounts--which is why you can always get a few free months of either, while HBO is unavailable for any deals.

IIRC Showtime is even available as a "flat rate" to D*, which is why they push it so hard!

--Nat

DirecTV & Showtime/Viacom have always seemed to have a cozy relationship whereas with HBO, not so much.

Showtime/Viacom doesn't own their own cable company, so they need to play nice with as many carriers as they can.

HBO is owned by Time Warner which, until recently, owned a cable company (Time Warner Cable, of course). HBO had a better bargaining position.

Even though Time Warner Cable is now a separate company, they seem to be very close.

Then again, maybe now that Time Warner no longer directly owns a competitor to DirecTV, maybe they will be more willing to let DirecTV carry the other HBO options.

At least they have a bunch of the channels, but I was surprised not to see hbo on demand. It was kind of assumed they'd have it! I subscribe to hbo every few years, usually in line with their new shows - used to be sopranos, now true blood. Every time I get it they seem to be playing the same content as before! I do like the on demand though. Catch some old episodes of curb your enthusiasm. Or to be able to catch up on a show mid season if I start to like something.

Make sure you write to them and ask for it. And keep doing that every few months. That's what I do with HBO On Demand as well as all the HD channels I am still waiting for. Unless people are asking for stuff, they are not going to offer it since it costs them money.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts