No HBO on demand???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swzine

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
GA
Seriously??? I hope this is either and account error or I'm an idiot. Every cable company I've had has had this for years - comcast, time Warner, and even the crappy municipal cable company that finally made me decide to cut the cable.

DirecTV & Showtime/Viacom have always seemed to have a cozy relationship whereas with HBO, not so much.

It took us *years* to finally get HBO Zone--and we still don't have HBO Comedy (drop HBO Family West if you have to! lol)---yet we have all the Showtimes (save Showtime Family which I believe they reserve as a "cable exclusive") and the Starz channels. In addition, Showtime and Starz give DIrecTV special discounts--which is why you can always get a few free months of either, while HBO is unavailable for any deals.

IIRC Showtime is even available as a "flat rate" to D*, which is why they push it so hard!

--Nat

DirecTV & Showtime/Viacom have always seemed to have a cozy relationship whereas with HBO, not so much.

Showtime/Viacom doesn't own their own cable company, so they need to play nice with as many carriers as they can.

HBO is owned by Time Warner which, until recently, owned a cable company (Time Warner Cable, of course). HBO had a better bargaining position.

Even though Time Warner Cable is now a separate company, they seem to be very close.

Then again, maybe now that Time Warner no longer directly owns a competitor to DirecTV, maybe they will be more willing to let DirecTV carry the other HBO options.

At least they have a bunch of the channels, but I was surprised not to see hbo on demand. It was kind of assumed they'd have it! I subscribe to hbo every few years, usually in line with their new shows - used to be sopranos, now true blood. Every time I get it they seem to be playing the same content as before! I do like the on demand though. Catch some old episodes of curb your enthusiasm. Or to be able to catch up on a show mid season if I start to like something.

Make sure you write to them and ask for it. And keep doing that every few months. That's what I do with HBO On Demand as well as all the HD channels I am still waiting for. Unless people are asking for stuff, they are not going to offer it since it costs them money.

Status
Please reply by conversation.