No HD in the rain...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
I understand that HD and SD versions of the same channel are on different satellites. I understand how the transponder system works for locals. I understand that all of those factors will affect how well a channel comes through in the rain.

That being said, I do NOT understand how much stronger the SD signal seems to be. I have had Directv HD for just shy of a year and have NEVER lost the SD channels in the rain or even a bad storm. It has been raining moderately heavy here all day and I have been without HD for hours but not even a flutter on the SD version of the several channels I've watched. I even flipped through other channels to see if the SD signal was coming through but no HD. It was. The local HD channels have an unwatchably pixelated picture, and I suppose it makes sense since the transponder signal would be a bit stronger than the other HD. Is it simply an issue of bandwidth? What am I missing?

My friend just got Directv and lives about 10 miles away and is experiencing the same thing. He's only had Directv for 2 weeks (switched from Dish since he was sick of their games and wants Sunday Ticket - he's less than impressed since the Viacom crap just happened and he also never lost HD in light/moderate rain with Dish).

The hd and sd signals are on different wavelengths. hd is ka, and sd is ku. ka is affected more by rain, so therefore the hd signals go out before the sd ones. That being said, they shouldn't go out in light or even moderate rain. When it stops raining, check your signal levels on all of the satellites and post them here. We may be able to find the source of the problem for you.

Interesting, might want to make sure the dish is peaked properly.

The difference between the 2 is KA and KU bands for transmissions...

The SD one and a few of HD Nationals are on the "Stronger" of the 2 bands, and by stronger I mean if you look at a bell curve the "Stronger" ones have a more flat top versus the HD and HDLIL bands which have more of a peaked bell curve and falls off very quickly.

If youall had the same installer he may not have peaked the dishes properly. OR you could be in a fringe area of a spot beam which would have a lower signal inherantly.

Just 2 more factors to add in.

I believe the newer HD LIL and HD sats are KA which has to be more precise, versus the old KU band which falls off much slower. But I could be backward.

The hd and sd signals are on different wavelengths. hd is ka, and sd is ku. ka is affected more by rain, so therefore the hd signals go out before the sd ones. That being said, they shouldn't go out in light or even moderate rain. When it stops raining, check your signal levels on all of the satellites and post them here. We may be able to find the source of the problem for you.

What he said lol

The rain has let up some in intensity. The HD channels are all back, with an occasional flutter on ESPN and NFL. The locals are fine. Which satellites should I check? All the c, cs or whatever versions of 99 and 103 confuse me. Sadly, I do not have 119.

The rain has let up some in intensity. The HD channels are all back, with an occasional flutter on ESPN and NFL. The locals are fine. Which satellites should I check? All the c, cs or whatever versions of 99 and 103 confuse me. Sadly, I do not have 119.

Post all of them please.

Mainly the 99 and 103's

96 96 98 96 95 99 97 99
97 97 97 95 97 100 98 99
97 69 96 97 96 100 97 100
96 0 97 87 97 99 96 99

99c
33 67 59 67 30 63 55 63
49 63 51 63 29 64 rest are N/A

99s
0 54 0 57 0 0 N/A N/A
(this one is taking forever! I hope that's enough, I will go back and wait if I REALLY need to...)

103s
0 74 0 79 0 0 N/A N/A
N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 21 0
0 0 0 (taking forever!)
25-32 are N/A

103ca
1-8 are N/A
48 58 46 57 44 53 40 56
49 55 45 54 41 52 42 53
25-32 are N/A

103cb
54 68 49 61 53 68 47 63
57 69 46 65 59 69 rest are N/A

SWM
100 0 100 100 10 95 96 97
96 rest are N/A

judging by the small numbers on the 99 and 103, I assume my problem is there. If I have to have someone come here.... I am "moved" to another address. How does one deal with that?

You'll need to "move" back to your billing address. Your dish is out of alignment and needs to be realigned. When you get this done make sure your dish is secure properly. You can check it yourself by going to the roof and pulling on the mast, if it moves it needs to be redone or more support added to it

It is not on the roof. I am in an apartment. My dish is actually on the corner of my upstairs neighbor's balcony, secured to the edge of the railing with braces. If i wanted to try to fix it myself, what would I do?

It is not on the roof. I am in an apartment. My dish is actually on the corner of my upstairs neighbor's balcony, secured to the edge of the railing with braces. If i wanted to try to fix it myself, what would I do?

Go up there with someone at your place watching the signal meter ...
Lightly apply pressure to the side of the dish, then the other side and top and bottom, see what happens to the signals your getting, when your signals go up, you'll know what direction to go.
Make adjustments slowly and very small at a time, you don't want to loose your signal all together.
Once you determine what direction, you can use the Fine Tuning adjustments (dithering) to dial it in.

I got brave and tried to fix it. Today, I really looked at the other Directv dishes on the balconies that are installed like mine and tried to see if they weren't pointing the same as mine. They all looked the same but it seemed mine was just a hair more "left" pointing than the other others. I just pushed the LNB to the right less than half an inch and miraculously, all of the 99 and 103 readings jumped over 20 points. I was not able to force it anymore to the right without unscrewing things. 101 readings are still high, but all in the 98-100 range (except tr #18 and 26) and the transponders that aren't 0 or N/A on the 99 and 103 are in the 65-85 range. Is that sufficient? I assume it's supposed to point directly at the 101 and the 99 and 103 will never be quite as strong.

My hispanic neighbors have a 5 LNB dish and theirs points exactly the same as the rest of ours; does the 119 satellite suffer on all set-ups or should families that request the Spanish programming have their dish pointed in a more 119-friendly way? I had requested a 5 LNB dish when I got mine installed but I didn't receive it. At the time, Fox Sports Espanol was in the Sports Pack and needs the 119 satellite. I watch FSE when my local Fox channels force Braves on Saturday but FSE has the Red Sox games.

I got brave and tried to fix it. Today, I really looked at the other Directv dishes on the balconies that are installed like mine and tried to see if they weren't pointing the same as mine. They all looked the same but it seemed mine was just a hair more "left" pointing than the other others. I just pushed the LNB to the right less than half an inch and miraculously, all of the 99 and 103 readings jumped over 20 points. I was not able to force it anymore to the right without unscrewing things. 101 readings are still high, but all in the 98-100 range (except tr #18 and 26) and the transponders that aren't 0 or N/A on the 99 and 103 are in the 65-85 range. Is that sufficient? I assume it's supposed to point directly at the 101 and the 99 and 103 will never be quite as strong.

My hispanic neighbors have a 5 LNB dish and theirs points exactly the same as the rest of ours; does the 119 satellite suffer on all set-ups or should families that request the Spanish programming have their dish pointed in a more 119-friendly way? I had requested a 5 LNB dish when I got mine installed but I didn't receive it. At the time, Fox Sports Espanol was in the Sports Pack and needs the 119 satellite. I watch FSE when my local Fox channels force Braves on Saturday but FSE has the Red Sox games.

Typically you'd like the 99 and 103 in the 90's, but if it's mid to high 80's you'll be fine as well.

Now, if you want to make more adjustments to your set up, when you pushed one way and the numbers went up,, thats the direction you want to go.
Did you push left or right, or up and down on the dish.
There are 2 brackets that attach to the fine tuning knobs (this is dithering), loosen the correct set of bolts and adjust with the fine tuning knobs, keep track of where you started, so you know.

Once you have it fine tuned, tighten back up and your good to go.

All Slimline dishes point at the 101 Sat, the 5 LNB set up has the other Sats offset a bit to compensate .

Keep in mind the 101 satellite was designed to be used with an 18 inch Dish. When you pick up 101 using the 30 inch HD Slimline Dish, you get a much better signal and therefore less rain fade for the SD channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)