No HD locals on Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bosco10021

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
At the beach
I am a new Directv HD subscriber. My local area doesn't currrently have the HD locals available ( only digital ). Because I cannot get any local HD network channels can I ask for and be eligible for the ABC, NBC, Fox and CBS networks on channels 80 thru 89 ?

If so how do I get Directv to offer these to me ?

My market will be offering them (Buffalo NY market) in the next batch of locals HD networks, when the new satellite is activated.

Basically if you are in an area where you can get locals at all, even in SD (via DirecTV or via OTA) you will not get national HD. It is always possible you can get a waiver from one or all of your local stations but VERY unlikely.
Buffalo will get HD locals by the end of the year, or if you are in location where OTA is possible you can put up an antenna.

That is not true. Many people with SD channels available in their area have qualified for national HD channels if they can not get a good enough signal for hd locals with an antenna and directv does not offer them.

There is a link to see what distant hd channels you may already be qualified to get with your zip code but I cant find the link right now. Just call directv about it.

Your comment is correct but I think you will find that this is becoming more and more difficult. DirecTV was pretty lax in the past giving people the national networks but not any more. And I've seen reports that people who aren't really entitled to them are losing network feeds.

There are a couple of ways you can qualify:
1) If the computer model which DirecTV uses predicts you are in an area unserved by ANALOG signals. This is classified as a "white area" and DirecTV will automatically give you the national HD channels.
2) If you are not in a white area but can't get digitals, ask DirecTV to request a waiver on your behalf for the distant digital transmission. DirecTV will often resist asking for waivers if you have regular SD locals, their interpretation of the law is generally that if you have (or can have) SD locals you should not get nationals. If you insist, they will send the waiver request. This request goes to each of your local network stations and the station can either give a waiver or reject it giving no reason, it is entirely at their discretion. Many (most) stations reject waiver requests especially if it's clear you could get their OTA digital transmission. Many of them just reject all requests for a waiver.

If this request for a waiver fails and you really believe that you are in a location where there are are no digital signals you can ask for a signal test at your location from your local television station to provide proof whether or not a signal is available over the air. If the local station cannot prove that you have coverage from a digital signal (note - it does not have to be HD), you can resubmit your request for a waiver. The local TV station can still reject your waiver request but now they have to give reasons. Most stations seem to accept the results of the test and give the waiver.

Note that there is no right to get HD. If your local stations have digital broadcasts which you can receive, then even if they are not giving you HD they can (and usually will) say no to your waiver request.

That is not true. Many people with SD channels available in their area have qualified for national HD channels if they can not get a good enough signal for hd locals with an antenna and directv does not offer them.

There is a link to see what distant hd channels you may already be qualified to get with your zip code but I cant find the link right now. Just call directv about it.

I don't think that's true. There is no standard for ota hd reception that I am aware of,
just for analog. You may qualify for distant hd channels if your local is O & O.

I don't know how they determine if you qualify for national HD feed, but I asked for and was granter a waiver recently for the east national HD feeds even with NBC (O&O) and CBS local HD feeds available. It may be because in my area the NYC channels are also considered "significantly viewed". Whatever the reason, I'm happy because I can't get FOX OTA or from satellite yet and the races, baseball, and football look much better in HD than SD.

I don't know how they determine if you qualify for national HD feed, but I asked for and was granter a waiver recently for the east national HD feeds even with NBC (O&O) and CBS local HD feeds available. It may be because in my area the NYC channels are also considered "significantly viewed". Whatever the reason, I'm happy because I can't get FOX OTA or from satellite yet and the races, baseball, and football look much better in HD than SD.

You are getting more than channel 82 from D*?

I don't think that's true. There is no standard for ota hd reception that I am aware of,
just for analog. You may qualify for distant hd channels if your local is O & O.

Well, again, I can not find the link at directv, but usually when you can not get a Grade B signal (no this is not just for hd reception) from a station, you automatically qualify for a distant hd from directv. With a strong grade B signal, you will not usually qualify but can still try the waiver process, though your chances are slim. With a grade A signal, forget it. It is based largely on signal strength, and the most important factor is distance.

Just found the link to find out which distant hd channels you can get automatically:

http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressForm.aspx

Last edited:
You are getting more than channel 82 from D*?
Yes. I emailed D* with a response from WTIC regarding HD availability and waivers, and D* replied stating that they could (and DID) activate the HD east feeds. I've had them for about a month now. If you want, I'll post the email for you.

Yes. I emailed D* with a response from WTIC regarding HD availability and waivers, and D* replied stating that they could (and DID) activate the HD east feeds. I've had them for about a month now. If you want, I'll post the email for you.

No need, I am just surprised that you got a waiver considering where you live. Good for you!

No need, I am just surprised that you got a waiver considering where you live. Good for you!

I was surprised also, but I'm not complaining. Especially since WTNH (ABC) and WTIC (FOX) are balking at agreements. From what I'm reading elsewhere on the forums, it looks like LIN does not want their HD signal on satellite.

This is exciting but confusing me!

I have SD locals, but I'm about 70 miles from the stations. The above-listed site shows that I am eligible for the HD DNS signals. When I called D*, I was on hold forever and finally got sent to a disconnected extension. No one seems to know about this. I'm thinking the website may be showing incorrect or outdated info.

Anyone have any idea who I should talk to?

When I did it the first CSR was clueless too, just ask to talk to tech support, there is some special department they need to forward you to.

I'm pretty sure the website is accurate, these things don't change often.

I was surprised also, but I'm not complaining. Especially since WTNH (ABC) and WTIC (FOX) are balking at agreements. From what I'm reading elsewhere on the forums, it looks like LIN does not want their HD signal on satellite.

That's an understatement! LIN doesn't want their hd signals anywhere it seems.

If anyone is interested, here's the official rules on out-of-market stations, from the FCC web site.
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/policy/shvera.doc.

As 88isgreat says, it is possible he is getting NY feeds because they are "significantly viewed" in his DMA - or maybe he is just lucky!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)