No Hdmi On Tv=no Hddvd?

sfollenius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
From what I understand the only way to view HDDVD movies is through HDMI correct? I have a 2004 JVC 48" Projection HDTV and doesnt have HDMI, only component inputs. I have read that the XBOX HDDVD add on allows output through component outputs but will not support movies with Encryption? These are things I "think" I have read in the past. I noticed that the Toshiba HDDVD players do have component outputs, what will display? Also does anyone know if the encryption on HDDVD has even been impemented yet?

Thanks!

Currently you can watch HD-DVDs through a component video output on the XBOX 360. AACS, is the new HD-DVD/BluRay encryption scheme and it is used on most commercial HD-DVDs shipped so far. The xbox will play these at 1080p just fine. This is not because of encryption but because the "downrez" flag is set to "not downrez". On future HD-DVDs the studios may turn this flag on, so you can only watch at the highest rez when connected via a protected path (like HDMI or DVI+HDCP.

Thanks sampatterson. So I guess you are saying the Toshibas will only display the HD resolutions via HDMI only?

Your statement is true if the HDDVD has downrez flags turned ON.

To elaborate on what Sam said...the HDDVD players (XBOX add-on as well as Toshiba, etc.) all have the capability to output via component an HD signal (up to 1080p). It is up to the content providers as to whether or not the signal will be restricted, or "down rez'd". If the content provider turns on the "downrez flag", then only HDMI outputs will provide the full resolution, regardless of the player. So if the Toshiba is connected via components and you are playing a HDDVD that the content provider chose to restrict to HDMI only, then you will see the HDDVD at 480p. Just because the player has an HDMI output, doesn't throw the compliance restraints out the window. You would have to be using the HDMI output. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks sampatterson. So I guess you are saying the Toshibas will only display the HD resolutions via HDMI only?

Let me take a stab at it: Both High Definition DVD formats - Blur-Ray and HD DVD - support a feature that prohibits displaying the disc content at High Def resolution except through an HDCP compliant digital connection - all HDMI and most DVI. That is a "flag" enbedded on the disc. Currently none of the studios are enforcing that - every Blu-Ray and HD DVD disc released to date does not have the flag and are playable at full HD rez over non HDCP compliant analog connections - component or VGA. Reportedly, the studios have agreed not to enforce the HDCP protection until at least 2010.

So, no - the Toshiba HD DVD players will display the HD resolutions just as well over component for all current HD DVD releases, and probably for th enext several years. Ditto for Blu-Ray, in fact when the first Samsung BR player was released many claimed the display was better over component than HDMI.

However, all this is regarding HD DVD & Blu-Ray only. In their infinite wisdom, upconverting standard definition DVD's is restricted to HDCP compliant HDMI/DVI. So, you won't be able to enjoy upconversion of DVD's over component. :hatsoff:

As stated, as of right now, both HDDVD and BR play over component. Once the "flag" goes into effect, the maximum resolution over analog will be 960x540. So, the movies will be downconverted. As Cochise stated, upconverting SDDVDs is restricted to HDCP compliant HDMI/DVI for both formats.

Scott

Naw, a few people use it to slander Blu-ray. Of course, Sony fed this since the first few movies released were of poor quality.

My HDTV monitor has a DVI input and a component input. Should I buy a converter cable to convert the HDMI output of the HD DVD player to use with the DVI input of my monitor? Will I have any problems? SHould I use the component video cables instead? Will I be at all limited in resolution? I am about to buy the Toshiba HD-DVD Player (HDA2).
Thanx

My HDTV monitor has a DVI input and a component input. Should I buy a converter cable to convert the HDMI output of the HD DVD player to use with the DVI input of my monitor? Will I have any problems? SHould I use the component video cables instead? Will I be at all limited in resolution? I am about to buy the Toshiba HD-DVD Player (HDA2).
Thanx

HDMI to DVI would be desirable. No you won't "lose" anything, except you need to know that DVI will not carry your audio, so you'll need to carry your audio in some other way (optical/coax digital). You'd have to do the same thing if you used component, of course. If you use components, you'll only lose resolution if the downrez flag is turned on on the actual disk (so far, there's no such disk I'm aware of).

There won't be a difference in image quality for an HDMI to DVI cable assuming connections are good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)