No home phone

emtownsend

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Post Falls, ID
I have read that Dish charges if you do not have a home phone connected to their boxes. Is this true? If so, what can one do if their only phone is a cell phone? The phone connection isn't a necessity anyway, so why would Dish force the issue and force us to use POTS service if we don't want to? That would be akin to forcing me to choose one provider over another.
Thanks!

I don't have phones hooked to my dish, no extra charges, if I want a pay per view, just go to website and rent it.

There are specific receivers that they will assess an additional fee if you don't connect a phone line to them. I believe the 522 is one such receiver. Just don't get one of those receivers and you won't have a problem.

Ah! Thanks for the info & warning! After thinking about why Dish would do this, I bet it is because Dish is losing out on tracking what you watch, when you watch, and what you record (if you don't have it connected)...

emtownsend said:
Ah! Thanks for the info & warning! After thinking about why Dish would do this, I bet it is because Dish is losing out on tracking what you watch, when you watch, and what you record (if you don't have it connected)...

nope. They use it for PPV

I havent had it hooked up in 4 years (cell phone only)

Iceberg said:
nope. They use it for PPV

I havent had it hooked up in 4 years (cell phone only)

And they feel justified charging users extra per month because of that?
Dang! Dish really isn't even missing out on anything. Sounds like a very poor excuse to simply charge more...

Their claim is they want to prevent people putting it as an extra receiver on one account when it is really in a different location. In that case, it should be a whole new amount for them.

I don't know how many "cheaters" they really catch in this area though.

Brad

The 322 is another you get charged. I am cell-phone only as well. To me requiring a landline is beyond archaic. I pay the extra charge to get Dish.

I would have probably given Voom a try as well, if they didnt force you to have a landline or no service.

I thought that it is not that they charge more if you don't have it connected, it is that when it is connected with the dual recievers that they don't charge you for the second reciever in it. If it is not connected, it just comes out to be the same price as 2 seperate recievers.

Well just look at it this way. If you want 2 receivers and get 2 separate
receivers then you will pay $5.00 for the 2nd receiver, but if you get a 2 built into one like a 322 or 522 and connect it to a phone line then you will SAVE $5.00 because they wont charge you the $5.00, but if you dont connect it then you will get charged $5.00 just like you normally would with 2 receivers anyways.

You're all too in depth into this.. think like a moron executive.

If you create a 2-in-1 box, you lose the add'l $5.00 additional outlet fee automatically. So they create a requirement to attach a phone line, penalty recoups their $5.00 a month.

Logically.. they must be getting something to the opportunity to verify a phone line. I think they're getting ratings info from it and reselling it. Cable companies can do it through their data lines, satellite's only resort is phone lines.

How else do they know the next morning how many people watched the Superbowl?

bcshields said:
Logically.. they must be getting something to the opportunity to verify a phone line ?

Well, I can name a couple reasons...

All those pay interactive applications they HOPE you'll use. (which requires a phone line)

The "convenience" of impulse PPV from the remote, which also requires a phone line, will "encourage" you to order PPV.

Their partnership with SBC, who (obviously) does NOT want you to disconnect your landline - on the contrary, THAT is why they want you to get one of those SBC "bundles".

You guys are all pretty much on the same page. Bottom line: PPV. The 322/522 was designed for one main reason: to keep programming costs as low as possible.

True, the dual tuner DOES cost less to fabricate and ship, but the main savings is cost per receiver ID that Echostar pays to companies like ViaCom. They charge E* per receiver ID, thus prompting the invention of the dual tuner. However, the execs thought that if they're doing all they can to keep programming costs down, they would like something in return: Keep your phone lines plugged in so that you can be one of the many 'Impulse PPV Watchers'. We get all sorts of excuses like "We need to upload diagnostics to our control center from time to time", or "We have different rates for residential and commercial service, so we need to verify the receiver's location from time to time", but bottom line again is PPV. So, in conclusion, since they are scratching the consumer's back, it'll cost the consumer $5/mo to NOT scratch theirs :p

Techs have tried and tried again for over a year now to get Cust. Svc to waive the $5 charge, and to date not one excuse has ever waived that charge.

The number the receiver modem calls is toll-free, so you should have no problems. If you have a dial tone, you're good.

bcshields said:
I think they're getting ratings info from it and reselling it.

How else do they know the next morning how many people watched the Superbowl?
Paranoid?

They know how many people watch the Superbowl because certain people have agreed to allow the AC Neilson company to install meters in their homes to track and report their television viewing. This is entirely separate from their method of receiving the signals.

While it is possible to track and report back usage, it would require a disclosure to customers by E* that they are doing that and for what purpose. E* only uses their phone interface for reporting instant PPV and subscription purchases and for customer driven account access via DishHOME. They also use it for certain other DishHOME applications (fantasy sports, and soon horserace paramutual betting).

JL

JL: TiVo DOES report on usage - that's how they knew that the JJ wardrobe malfunction was the most replayed moment in history. ;)

E* has never said they ARE doing it, but I don't think they've ever said they're NOT. Either way, having the hookups in place means they CAN do it whenever they find programmers capable of writing the software.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)