No It Is Not Illegal

Cable systems in the border towns such as Buffalo do carry CBC.
Perhaps there is some exception for them.

cable systems near the border pick it up OTA so they can put it on cable. Theres a few border cities in MN that have CBC (some even have CTV too)

sampatterson said:
It may not be against FCC rules, but it is breaking the license agreement you have with Dish or BEV. So in theory, you can't be put in jail, but you can be sued by either Dish or BEV for breaking the contract you have with them for service, and any content copyright holder for copyright infringement.

I have no contractual agreement with directtv or dish.
Dish and directv have nothing to sue for, the cpoyright holders have agreements with the Canadian channels and networks, not with *C and bev. ( the Canadian networks do) to be sucessful in any lawsuit,
you have to prove liability.

Iceberg said:
cable systems near the border pick it up OTA so they can put it on cable. Theres a few border cities in MN that have CBC (some even have CTV too)

I know of a few cable companies in MN that carry these channels also. About 2 hours north of Minneapolis.

htguy said:
I know of a few cable companies in MN that carry these channels also. About 2 hours north of Minneapolis.

where?

Closest I know to the TC that has it is the over the air "cable" in Alexandria. They have it on UHF channel 32 (low powered)

Any town that has it is north of Duluth (we didnt have it in Duluth). Grand Rapids, Hibing, Virginia and the iron range have it.

The problem with anecdotal evidence like this is that it could be a part time channel or it could be content from a US channel that has the rights to show certain CBC programming. What I just can't seem to get across is that NATIONAL distribution of the CBC as it appears in Canada in the US is not possible.

See ya
Tony

I just want to illustrate my point about the CBC and how it could not be simply imported to the US.

Here is the program schedule for CBC tomorrow. Anything in red cannot be shown in the US as the rights are owned by other entities:

12:00 a.m. Zed
12:30 a.m. International Movie Night
Cinema Paradiso (1989)
The movies are generally sold a distributed in the US under different copyright licenses. This movie is currently owned by HBO or Starz in the US
6:00 a.m. CBC News: Morning
7:00 a.m. Kids' CBC
7:01 a.m. Arthur Exclusively owned by PBS in the US
7:30 a.m. Lunar Jim Rights to this show purchased by ABC Family in the US
7:55 a.m. Bruno Rights owned by Nickelodeon/Children't TV Workshop and shown on Noggin in the US
8:00 a.m. Dragon Tales PBS owns the rights
8:30 a.m. Pinky Dinky Doo Rights owned by Nickelodeon and shown on Noggin
9:00 a.m. Poko
9:25 a.m. Ebb and Flo Rights owned by Nickelodeon/Noggin
9:30 a.m. The Save-Ums! Rights owned by the Discovery Networks and shown on Discovery Kids and TLC in the US
9:45 a.m. Tractor Tom Rights owned by Nickelodeon/Noggin
10:00 a.m. The Doodlebops Rights owned by ABC/Disney and shown on the Disney Channel in the US
10:20 a.m. Rolie Polie Olie Rights owned by ABC/Disney and shown on the Disney Channel in the US
10:30 a.m. Nanalan'
11:00 a.m. Mr. Dressup Owned by Nick? Not sure on this one
11:30 a.m. George Shrinks Owned by PBS and shown on PBS Kids in the US
12:00 p.m. CBC News: Today
1:00 p.m. Da Vinci's Inquest In wide syndication in the US including WGN Superstation
2:00 p.m. Emmerdale
2:30 p.m. The Love of Gardening Not sure but may be owned by HGTV in US
3:00 p.m. 2006 Commonwealth Games Not sure of the distributor in the US but this is a PPV event in the US Correction, Owned by Fox and shown on Fox Sports cable channels.
4:00 p.m. Chilly Beach
4:30 p.m. Yam Roll Mini
4:34 p.m. The Morgan Waters Show
4:41 p.m. Mr. Meaty Rights owned by Nickelodeon in the US (Pod Casts)
4:45 p.m. Yam Roll
4:51 p.m. Torino 2006 Paralympic Winter Games
Daily Update
Though they do not air anything from this event, NBC ownes the exclusive rights to anything "olympic" in the US
5:00 p.m. The Simpsons First run owned by Fox, reruns owned by Fox syndication for breadcast and FX on cable.
5:30 p.m. Frasier In wide syndication in the US though there may be a cable "opening" however the CBC must buy the US cable rights to show in the US
6:00 p.m. CBC News at Six (Ottawa)
6:30 p.m. CBC News: Canada Now
7:00 p.m. On the Road Again
7:30 p.m. Coronation Street USA Network may own the rights thought they do not show the series[/i]
8:00 p.m. Opening Night
10:00 p.m. The National
11:00 p.m. The National (Update)
11:25 p.m. Torino 2006 Paralympic Winter Games
Daily Update
NBC owns the TV rigths to anything from the IOC in the US
11:30 p.m. Zed

-------------------------------------
Anything in red would have to be removed from a national CBC US channel.

See ya
Tony

Last edited:
.... and you have proven, once again that:

In order to watch all the old CBand services(from the 80s and early 90s); 1 needs 2 systems - 1 American and 1 Canadian

I want all the NA networks + all the NA Sports channels - just like BUD use to deliver.

But of course now the price is much higher and the SD PQ sux.

SyndEX still WOULD NOT be in effect though unless your local station request it. Without that request, all shows can continue to air until that time. EX. The Simpsons is being aired locally through say the WB affiliate here, we launched CBC Toronto and the local station has a problem with The Simpsons being aired in there area through the CBC affiliate, then they reserve the right to request SyndEX, which at that time we would have to block out that program. Say your satellite or cable provider offered two ABC affiliates, the primary ABC request SyndEX during primetime, then that provider would have to block out the primetime shows on the out of market ABC. The Superstation package on Dish was created to give people that loved the package on c band a chance to still have it, also to abide by the SyndEX rules in certain markets. Where I am at, I qualify for that package because my local WB and UPN HAS NOT requested SyndEX. Man, people here are telling you where they are viewing it at and you still keep on about it. Just be happy we have the freedom and choices we have to do such.

Iceberg said:
and once again the dead horse gets beat up again

Since TNGTony & Cable will NEVER agree on this issue, just drop it.

I agree, BTW where did the "beating a dead horse" symbol go? I could have used it several times recently.

Last edited:
I will not allow misinformation to go unchallenged. The Syndex rule that Cable is talking about applies to SUPERSTATIONS!

Disagreeing on a subjective issue is one thing. Some one posting incorrect information and misleading readers and at the same time insisting he is correct after several attempts at correction is another. Cable is DEAD WRONG. There is no agreeing to disagree here. And since I am left to try to explain a LIE I am labeled the guy beating the dead horse.

It isn't a matter of two differing points of view. It's a matter of a lie being presented as truth with anecdotal evidense, misreported applications of laws, and outright fabrications. When some one posts rational explanations of the inaccuracies, the liar (whether intentional or not) posts yet another misrepresentation of rules or laws that do not really apply to continue to mislead the readers into something that just isn't so.

See ya
Tony

Wait a minute here Tony….I agree on most of your points, but cable can invoke syndex on non superstations

When I lived in Duluth, we had KMSP 9 out of Minneapolis (this is when it was a UPN station) because Duluth didn’t have a UPN. But lots of times during the day we would see “due to FCC rules, we must block out this program. See this program on your other local stations”. This was mainly used for syndicated programming that the networks in Duluth picked up and showed at oddball times. But they had the right to block it out. So Charter cable had to block it out. We did have a UPN for 11 months (KDUL) and they requested KMSP block out UPN programming. So most of the time on KMSP that’s all we saw. Then KDUL had picture issues (wavy lines, black & white picture) and the block was lifted until KDUL went off the air.

When KMSP switched to Fox, the station was dropped as Duluth already had Fox (KQDS)

Iceberg,

Sorry, I gave incomplete info. Syndex regulations are for importation of domestic and Significantly viewed broadcast channels (essentially statutory and non-statutory superstations) It does not apply to cable channels.

In the case of the CBC, and NATIONAL distribution (which is what I have been talking about all along), this would not apply since it is not a domestic broadcast channel, statutory superstation nor is it "significantly viewed" channel in all but border regions of the US.

IOW, the CBC as a NATIONALLY distributed channel in the US could not be treated like a superstation. It would be treated as a cable channel.

Could Dish block out programs with rights issues? Yes. Will they? no.

Again, The CBC as it appears in Canada cannot be distributed NATIONALLY in the US.

See ya
Tony

This is why it is called a grey area. Check out todays front page of the Wall Street Journal, programmers are upset over the "Slingbox" which will let a person watch TV from anywhere in the world.

This means if I have a friend in Canada with one I can watch their CableTV or Satellite service (and have full control over the receiver) while sitting in my house in Connecticut. In addition I can let my friend in Canada watch my Slingbox and enjoy the Red Sox game while he in in Canada, and the nice part is he does not need to subscribe to the MLB package.

My personal feeling is I am being OVERCHARGED on programming, I have Cable TV, I have Dish Network and I also have ExpressVu. I pay for channels like SpikeTV and the Game Show Network on ALL 3 services, in addition all 3 services pay fees to the programmers for which I have subscriptions, so in a sense I am paying for NBC, CBS, ABC, etc... programming 3 times.

I would think people like me would be GOOD for the programmers since they are getting 3 times income courtesy of just 1 subscriber.

Thats my 2 cents. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
My personal feeling is I am being OVERCHARGED on programming, I have Cable TV, I have Dish Network and I also have ExpressVu. I pay for channels like SpikeTV and the Game Show Network on ALL 3 services, in addition all 3 services pay fees to the programmers for which I have subscriptions, so in a sense I am paying for NBC, CBS, ABC, etc... programming 3 times.

I would think people like me would be GOOD for the programmers since they are getting 3 times income courtesy of just 1 subscriber.

Thats my 2 cents. :)

Hell son, you went pass the 2 cent mark, we are talking Benjamins now. :D

Ice, If we remember, in 1990, due to SyndEx rules, Superstation WGN's national feed began running alternate programming about half the time. It was a similar situation at WWOR-TV in New York City and the national WOR EMI Service. In 1989, the FCC created the "Syndicated Exclusivity Rights" rule, otherwise known as "SyndEx." This rule stated that when a station in any market had the rights to air certain syndicated programs, the cable company had to block it out on out-of-town stations. Due to this rule, and to lighten the burden on cable companies, Eastern Microwave picked up broadcast rights to shows that were considered "SyndEx-proof" and could be inserted into WWOR's cable feed to replace programming that could not be aired nationally.

1990? Hell I didnt even have cable then...cable didnt come to our part of town until 1993 :)

We had an antenna that got 7 stations (PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC, 2nd PBS, IND and this new network called "Fox"....) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)