No line of sight

icecolor

Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Illinois
:(
Installer said there is a tree blocking the line of sight.

Can I reschedule the appointment and this time ask them to pull the cable for the next door neighbor's satellite instead of hooking up a satellite for me ?

next door neighbor is a friend and I can inform this to him before hand.

Does dish allow this ? or do they want each customer to own their own dish ?

Can I reschedule the appointment and this time ask them to pull the cable for the next door neighbor's satellite instead of hooking up a satellite for me ?

Well, you have two lines of sight. Eastern, and western. Did the installer check both?

He probably checked both east and west. His supervisor came after 2 hours to give a second opinion and he said said the same.

This would be no different that having to place the actual dish beyond the boundries of your property which I have had to do before.

This required written permission from that landowner saying it was fine and going over the exact details with all parties involved of what it would take to do such a thing.

Well, you have two lines of sight. Eastern, and western. Did the installer check both?

Actually, that isn't true for all areas of the country. Dish still hasn't given the green light to certain areas to do Eastern Arc installs, even in cases of no line of sight (to the Western Arc).

I don't know if this applies to the OP or not.

Actually, that isn't true for all areas of the country. Dish still hasn't given the green light to certain areas to do Eastern Arc installs, even in cases of no line of sight (to the Western Arc).

I don't know if this applies to the OP or not.

Ah, OK. I thought as a last resort they could use either.

This would be no different that having to place the actual dish beyond the boundries of your property which I have had to do before.

This required written permission from that landowner saying it was fine and going over the exact details with all parties involved of what it would take to do such a thing.

You would have to go with a local install/retailer for this. I doubt that any DNSC or RSP would touch a system like that.

There is also a huge difference when you tie two electrical systems together, and placing a dish beyond the boundry of your home.

I, as an installer, will not install a system beyond the boundaries of a customer's property for one very good reason. If you sign up today, you are under contract for 2 years. Next month, your friend next door gets a job offer, that's too good to refuse, in Texas. So he sells his house, and the new owner thinks dishes are tacky and takes it down. Now what? Also, if you get an installer to agree to install it on your neighbors property, put in another dish. If both systems are not grounded to NEC or better, you could have a nasty ground loop situation by tying into your neighbor's dish

I was wrong. He was checking only South West.
Can the dish go on South East also? Is that what is Eastern Arc. I have a very clear south east view. Please let me know how I can find out if eastern arc/south east dish is available for my address?

I am in bloomington, IL

Eastern Arc locals?

It looks like your locals are on 110° (may be moving to 129° for HD) and are not (yet?) being carried on any of the Eastern Arc satellites (61.5°, 72.7° and 77.0°), unless I'm mistaken. Which means if you could get Dish to put up a 1000.4 for the Eastern Arc, you wouldn't be getting your local stations. :(

justen

It looks like your locals are on 110° (may be moving to 129° for HD) and are not (yet?) being carried on any of the Eastern Arc satellites (61.5°, 72.7° and 77.0°), unless I'm mistaken. Which means if you could get Dish to put up a 1000.4 for the Eastern Arc, you wouldn't be getting your local stations. :(

justen

Eastern Arc installs only MPEG-4 receivers, and they all have OTA. So, if he has a clear view of the SE, and he can receive his locals via rabbit ears or an attic/outdoor antenna, he's be all set to go with Dish.

I called a local retailer and he said that Eastern Arc is not available in our market yet. :*(

I am out of luck.

Thanks a lot to all the replies to this thread.

Ah, this one tree covers the whole SW facing side of your property (i.e., there isn't somewhere else on your house or your grounds (you can have a dish on a post in the ground next to your house) that would allow LOS not blocked by that tree)?

If not, how about pruning or removing the tree?

Ah, this one tree covers the whole SW facing side of your property (i.e., there isn't somewhere else on your house or your grounds (you can have a dish on a post in the ground next to your house) that would allow LOS not blocked by that tree)?

If not, how about pruning or removing the tree?
Its tv and taking out a tree cost wise is not worth it and thats not including the value of the tree itsself for the property owner. Generaly supervisors will not make a bs los call even if it entails alot of work ( trust me they like to make techs work really hard ).

Do you think I can get the dish through Eastern Arc if I do not want locals ? I can let go locals if I can do this. But, the retailer said EA is not available in my area at all.

Maybe an experienced installer on here can chime in. You might also play customer service rep roulette until you get a knowledgeable one on the line...

You can always buy and install your own EA 1000.4 dish. Nothing prevents you from doing that. You have to have all mpeg4 capable receivers though. Is there no way to get a dish on a pole on the other side of the problematic tree or far enough back from it to get a signal. The signal comes several degrees higher than the dish is pointed.

Hey guys I am an installer in a WA dma. I signed up and installed a customer for an EA dish setup this past Saturday. The only catch was, it had to be all mpeg4 equipment and I had to call at time of activation for an arc change. That's it.
I went to customers house a week before install with a digital converter box and a set of rabbit ears just to see if ota would work and it did. He was very pleased EA was an option even though locals would not be coming from the satellite. If your retailer won't do an arc change for you, find a retailer that will. I would also do a little test with rabbit ears and a digital converter box just to see what ota you can get. If locals are not an issue then never mind. Good luck.:up

*By the way there was nlos for 110, 119, & 129. That's why I installed EA for this customer.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)