No Local HD Channels in Bay Area (VIP 622)

kabirchahal

Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Bay Area
So this morning I woke up to find no local HD channels in my guide. I called Dish and was told that I have to wait till May, till then no Local HD channels for 3 freaking months till they update the software for the Bay Area. What is the point of having just SD channels...This is really frustrating..3 months?? How could they not see this issue coming up? I didn't get an explanation on why it will take so long..

Is anyone else suffering because of this? How is this focused to just the Bay Area and I was told only for 622, to which my response was ok then let me switch to new reciever then the story changed that it will not show up on new reciever either....is this GOD punishing the Bay Area for voting no on prop 8??? :)

All joking aside this is really frustrating thought of watching Lost on SD is depressing and I am not tech savvy enough to go get the channels OTA but I guess I will have to try...and get a rabbit ear antenna..can anyone recommend a good one that requires least moving around....

Thanks everyone

Maybe May when they might put 'em up on 129W but I doubt they would turn off the HD locals on transponder 7 on 119W until they do so and without notice. Have you tried resetting your receiver? What signal strengths are you receiving on 119W transponders?

Nothing changed for me. Still getting locals in HiDef on both 622 and 722. I sure don't know what that person from Dish was talking about.

Maybe May when they might put 'em up on 129W but I doubt they would turn off the HD locals on transponder 7 on 119W until they do so and without notice. Have you tried resetting your receiver? What signal strengths are you receiving on 119W transponders?

Hi, Can you tell me how to do that? I am a newbie and have never actually played around with my DVR...but I was out of the country last week and my cousins were housesitting maybe they messed something up..

I called them again...and I was told...since I have Dish service through AT&T that is why it is effecting me and not you guys who are "Regular" dish customers...but wow and to answer the previous question I don't even see 119 Transponder 7 on my scan results...I guess I am SOL..this sucks :(

I called them again...and I was told...since I have Dish service through AT&T that is why it is effecting me and not you guys who are "Regular" dish customers...but wow and to answer the previous question I don't even see 119 Transponder 7 on my scan results...I guess I am SOL..this sucks :(

Being an ATT customer has nothing to do with getting the HD local channels or not. If you can't get TP7 on 119 you won't get your HD local channels, period.

Reboot the receiver and hopefully that will get back TP 7. Unplug the power and plug back in. Check for TP 7 by going Menu, 6, 1, 1 and then select satellite 119 and then TP 7. It takes sometime to lock, so be patient.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, clear the switch matrix.

Unplug the satellite cable and run check switch. Menu, 6, 1, 1, Check Switch.
Plug satellite cable back in and run check switch.

The easiest way to completely reset your receiver, a hard reset, is to simply pull the plug , wait a few seconds, and then plug it back it.

Are you getting your other HD channels OK?

Go Menu 6 1 3. What satellites show up on line g? Are they all have green bars beneath? If not, go Menu 6 1 1 and press Check Switch. You can find the signal strength for a transponder by pressing Menu 6 1 1 and changing to the satellite and transponder number in which you are interested.

If you are not receiving satellite 119W, you won't be receiving the HD locals. 119 is the most basic satellite position everyone on the western arc would have. What package do you subscribe to?

I think you were a victim of both the CSR's "Most Outrageous Lie Told to a Customer" contest, and your cousins dorking around with your receiver.

I am receiving HD locals from Dish in the SF Bay area right now. I did notice that after I hit Menu-6-1-1, which should give me the signal strength for the transponder broadcasting the channel I was just watching (119 TP7), it took a good 25 seconds for the bar to come up, even though I was just watching college basketball on KPIX. So you sometimes have to be patient. Speed Channel is on 119, so if you can view that channel you're receiving 119.

And if you decide to go OTA, rabbit ears are only going to help you for NBC. Right now everyone else is on UHF for high-def.

The easiest way to completely reset your receiver, a hard reset, is to simply pull the plug , wait a few seconds, and then plug it back it.

Are you getting your other HD channels OK?

Go Menu 6 1 3. What satellites show up on line g? Are they all have green bars beneath? If not, go Menu 6 1 1 and press Check Switch. You can find the signal strength for a transponder by pressing Menu 6 1 1 and changing to the satellite and transponder number in which you are interested.

If you are not receiving satellite 119W, you won't be receiving the HD locals. 119 is the most basic satellite position everyone on the western arc would have. What package do you subscribe to?

Yes I am getting other HD channels Ok.
Line G: Q-Box are both green, 1 and 2.
When I press CHeck Switch it gives me an error saying " A Dish Q-Box was detected instead of a multi-dish switch. IF you want to search for Satellites availbale to your Q-Box, Please press the "Scan" button.

Which I did and 119 shows up but not 7...so I am getting my local channels but no in HD... could it because I live in an apartment complex and have one big dish on top?

LOL if this is a big joke at the CSR...mess with this guy...Am I SOL now?

Yes I am getting other HD channels Ok.
Line G: Q-Box are both green, 1 and 2.
When I press CHeck Switch it gives me an error saying " A Dish Q-Box was detected instead of a multi-dish switch. IF you want to search for Satellites availbale to your Q-Box, Please press the "Scan" button.

That changes everything. You didn't tell us you had a Q-box. You are not hooked up to a dish antenna directly, but through special hardware they use for MDU installations.

You need to work through your apartment manager. They'll contact whoever did the installation and get it sorted out (or not).

Do you have your own subscription, or does the service come with the apartment?

That changes everything. You didn't tell us you had a Q-box. You are not hooked up to a dish antenna directly, but through special hardware they use for MDU installations.

You need to work through your apartment manager. They'll contact whoever did the installation and get it sorted out (or not).

Do you have your own subscription, or does the service come with the apartment?

Sorry like I said I am not tech savvy...

OK I will talk to our building manager you would think for 2700 dollars a month in rent....would get us HD locals...I hope other people in the bldg will complain too....

I have my own service and I have to get service through AT&T and however it is set up....can't switch to Comcast or Direct TV..

What is MDU installations? And what is this business of CSR reading me a letter they got from their bosses stating people in North California with my setup would not be getting local HD till May 8 and this is specific to just VIP 622.

The QBOX is for MDU (multiple dwelling units) QAM systems. MDUs QAM systems are used for distribution to multiple receivers. They have a specific band of channels that they use.

>My setup would not be getting local HD till May 8 and this is specific to just VIP 622

Don't really know, its sounds more like a QBOX issue. If its only the VIP 622 then DISH should give you a free, no commitment upgrade to the VIP 722, but your dealing with AT&T who no longer sells DISHNET.

The one I am watching it on is a 211

Really? What reciever do you have?

Maybe my box is not set up correctly...

but my 622 and 612 I can see and watch them also

The HD locals I have are KGO, KPIX, KTVU, KNTV, however, now that I look at it, a lot of locals, such as PBS and KICU are in HD, and I am not getting those

Something has changed

Last edited:
but my 622 and 612 I can see and watch them also

The HD locals I have are KGO, KPIX, KTVU, KNTV, however, now that I look at it, a lot of locals, such as PBS and KICU are in HD, and I am not getting those

Something has changed

Dish has not supplied all your locals in HD, just the big four. If you want the rest right now, you need to have an OTA antenna connected to your setup.

Hi,

I'm with crappy AT&T and yes, we don't have our local HD channels as well. It's ridiculous. I spoke with them again today, and the guy (all idiots over there) said the same thing, not till May. He believes it has something to do with a contract between them and dish, but not real sure. He said they are working on getting letters out to their customers.

I am so frustrated with this mickey mouse company (AT&T Home Entertainment). Even if it's Dish's fault, the people there are so untrained it's insane. I asked them the other day to refund me for not having the channels and turns out the next day my service was canceled.

I wanted to scream when I found out we won't get these back till May at the earliest. All my favorite shows are just starting, and have to watch all in SD. Pout pout pout :(

Let me know if you hear anything else.

Denise

Hi,

I'm with crappy AT&T and yes, we don't have our local HD channels as well. It's ridiculous. I spoke with them again today, and the guy (all idiots over there) said the same thing, not till May. He believes it has something to do with a contract between them and dish, but not real sure. He said they are working on getting letters out to their customers.

I am so frustrated with this mickey mouse company (AT&T Home Entertainment). Even if it's Dish's fault, the people there are so untrained it's insane. I asked them the other day to refund me for not having the channels and turns out the next day my service was canceled.

I wanted to scream when I found out we won't get these back till May at the earliest. All my favorite shows are just starting, and have to watch all in SD. Pout pout pout :(

Let me know if you hear anything else.

Denise

Oh thank god...so I am not the only one....misery loves company...watching SD I want to poke my damn eyes out and yes they are by far the worst CSR I have ever dealt with.....must be something about being in Texas or something...all of them have attitudes and just sound really stupid....I didn't get anymore info out of them except May 8th...my lease is up May 22nd and there is no way in hell I am getting Dish through AT&T ever again...

Oh thank god...so I am not the only one....misery loves company...watching SD I want to poke my damn eyes out and yes they are by far the worst CSR I have ever dealt with.....must be something about being in Texas or something...all of them have attitudes and just sound really stupid....I didn't get anymore info out of them except May 8th...my lease is up May 22nd and there is no way in hell I am getting Dish through AT&T ever again...

haha, yes, misery DOES love company. Those people bring the meaning of stupid to the next level. There was one guy I spoke to who said "ummm" minimum of 3 times before going to the next word. It was like, "well, ummm, ummmm, ummmm, let me ummm, ummm, ummmm, look at into this a little, ummm, ummmm, ummmmm, further". Seriously, I was pulling my hair out talking to him. How in the world did he get through an interview is beyond me lol.

Well, unfortunately I'll be here for quite some time, so I'm stuck with them. Sigh...

Good luck to you.

Denise