No longer with DirecTV anymore, Dish was installed today.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Prime Time Anytime is great I guess if you watch a lot of network TV. Myself, I can't stand the boring procedurals that the network try to peddle. I watch approx 45 minutes of network TV 22 times a year with Blue Bloods.

There have been many times I've needed 5, 6 + tuners. Usually Wednesday and Sunday nights.

Silicon Valley, Ballers, The Chi, Homeland, Billions, The Affair, Ray Donovan, Shameless, Berlin Station, Deep State, Trust, The Last Ship, Bar Rescue and The Great Food Truck Race are the currently active shows I record on Sundays in between 9-11PM throughout the year. Plus True Detective when it comes back. Granted many of these are on the same channel and on different times of the year, but there is some overlap. Last year Lifetime aired Mary Kills People on Sunday nights. This year they did it on Mondays. Destination America and AHC also have new episodes on occasion of some of the paranormal shows I like to watch on Sunday nights.

On Wednesdays it's Audience originals Full Circle, Mr. Mercedes and Condor. The soon to be gone Six, the limited series Yellowstone, Sinner comes back next month. And then there's South Park, TUF, American Pickers, Storage Wars and in the past various FX shows and I'm sure others I'm forgetting.

Do you ever leave the house? That sounds like a lot of TV watching. Plus can’t you get most of that on demand.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
dish does look better all the time. the hs17 is such failure of a unit imho

i hope directv realizes the mistakes its made and the next unit fixes them.

Reactions: Pere845
The sour grapes from those with the less capable DVRs that have never experienced the capable and versatile Hopper3 is very entertaining. :biggrin

I've got a Tivo, I've seen a Hopper 3 and a Genie and IMHO they are both pieces of crap compared to the Bolt. If I needed 16 tuners I might care about that, but four is more than enough for me.

I am about a year in from switching to Dish from Directv. The Hopper3 is superior hardware IMHO, and there was very little difference in PQ that I could tell on most, but not all, channels. Dish Anywhere has been far better than DirecTV MobileDVR was as of a year ago. What I will say is the Dish software (CUI) still seems unfinished, while the circa 2005 DirecTV software was outdated, but nice and predictable. I would get either again in the future. They are both fine. If I can find an inexpensive and reliable way to get local news, I probably won't renew Dish at the end of my 2-year commitment. So little of what we watch is on broadcast/cable TV any more, it is hard to justify paying for Satellite, and Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO, etc. Even if I drop down to the Welcome Pack, I am looking at ~$60/month for 3 TVs with satellite, more than half of which are hardware lease fees and taxes. I'll be curious to see where things stand in another year with respect to online streaming solutions.

antenna and tv tuner, free ota

Sadly, that isn't very reliable at my new house. I can get PBS reliably, but not much else, and it is going to get worse with the repack as more channels move into VHF.

Reactions: Pere845
Do you ever leave the house?

Not if I don't have to.

That sounds like a lot of TV watching.

Yes and no. I have over 60+ series set to record. Since they are at most 13 episodes each, it's not much. The six Showtime shows represent no more than two hours a week. The two HBO shows are 10 hours a year.

Plus can’t you get most of that on demand.

I think you mean Can not Can't. But I don't do On Demand. My daily ritual is to watch the previous nights recordings as soon as I get home from work and then delete. I will watch programming on the premium channels live quite often, since there's no commercials. Depending on the network it can take days for something to show up On Demand, I'm not willing to wait that long.

No data cap here, but I forgot about the limiting of ffw and rew.

With DirecTV, I hardly ever have working On Demand since I am typically on a CE release. I've gone 6 months with no On Demand. The few times I've used it it was slow and clunky and I would frequently have buffering issues and get the message about having a slow connection, even though I'm on a 100Mb+ connection and never have issues elsewhere. If I have to use On Demand I was it on my Spectrum DVRs

No data cap here, but I forgot about the limiting of ffw and rew.

With DirecTV, I hardly ever have working On Demand since I am typically on a CE release. I've gone 6 months with no On Demand. The few times I've used it it was slow and clunky and I would frequently have buffering issues and get the message about having a slow connection, even though I'm on a 100Mb+ connection and never have issues elsewhere. If I have to use On Demand I was it on my Spectrum DVRs
Thats interesting ...
I have been doing all the CE's and have had No On Demand issues for the last what 4-5 months since they got OD working with the CEs correctly.

dish does look better all the time. the hs17 is such failure of a unit imho

i hope directv realizes the mistakes its made and the next unit fixes them.

If the performance of the client boxes is anything like the C61k I had, I would never pay for something like the HS17.

I gave the genie 54 and 2 61 clients. I never record more than 2 programs at once. No problems with od.

Got to wonder why some folks say the HS17 is a big POS and others like me have no problems? I have two C61K’s, two C41’s and a C61W and all are working just fine. And no I’m not running CE code on any of them.

Got to wonder why some folks say the HS17 is a big POS and others like me have no problems? I have two C61K’s, two C41’s and a C61W and all are working just fine. And no I’m not running CE code on any of them.

i just compare it to my genie/hr24 setup
its a downgrade in all aspects but 4k ability
nothing else on it stacks up to 2 tv service, let alone more than 2 (if you have multiple dvrs)
its just a simple numbers game fewer tuners, fewer timers, possibly less hdd, no redundancy, ect ect

i just compare it to my genie/hr24 setup
its a downgrade in all aspects but 4k ability
nothing else on it stacks up to 2 tv service, let alone more than 2 (if you have multiple dvrs)
its just a simple numbers game fewer tuners, fewer timers, possibly less hdd, no redundancy, ect ect
HS17 has 7 usable tuners equal to 3.5 HR2X’s, so unless you have more then three HR2X’s you don’t lose anything on the tuner front. IMHO the biggest issue is the single point of failure of the Genie 2 system.

Reactions: raoul5788
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts