No luck finding Shaw 111

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

angiodan

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Cape Coral, Florida
I recieved my used 505 and the lnb that Iceberg suggested for my channelmaster 36" elliptical dish that I was talking about in a previous thread.

Hooked everything up, but I cannot get any signal to show up in the tuning screen. I have a cheapie sat meter, and it is blaring away in the vicinity where I should find it, but nothing on the reciever, stays in the red and signal at 20-24. I have put in the 4128 EMM code as well.

I have never had an issue with Dish or Bell sats, but this is driving me crazy! I messed around for an hour, picked up all sorts of signals with the meter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I recieved my used 505 and the lnb that Iceberg suggested for my channelmaster 36" elliptical dish that I was talking about in a previous thread.

Hooked everything up, but I cannot get any signal to show up in the tuning screen. I have a cheapie sat meter, and it is blaring away in the vicinity where I should find it, but nothing on the reciever, stays in the red and signal at 20-24. I have put in the 4128 EMM code as well.

I have never had an issue with Dish or Bell sats, but this is driving me crazy! I messed around for an hour, picked up all sorts of signals with the meter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1. What numbers are you using to point? Cape Coral is near Fort Myers (love it down there, I'm jealous!), and according to Mike Kohl's site, you should be at 45.2 and 231.3 for 111W (F2)

2. What channel are you using on the 505 to tune? For 111W, I used 711. Your problem may be that you are using a channel on F1 to tune F2.

3. If neither of those ideas help, try moving the dish one or two satellites to the west of where you are pointing, then to the east. My experience with installing was that 107 was VERY easy to find, 111 took some finesse. Eventually to get 111, I pointed at 107, then using the cheapie meter, moved to the right till I got to 111, then focused it with the meter on the receiver.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I am using the numbers from Mikes site. I have it on channel 299, then went through the options screen to bring up the meter. I will try channel 711.

I have the dish scew at 134, but is this really needed if I only want the one bird?

299 is on AnikF1

Channels on F2 are 711, 700, 559, 420

You may not need to skew the dish but you do need to skew the LNB. If you can skew the dish do that. It gives more signal to reflect to the LNB

So, if I understand correctly, you have to put in on one of those channels before you go through the options to the satellite tuning screen. What has been frustrating is that I guess I haven't even locked on F1 when it has been on channel 299.

I can't skew the lnb. On Mike's site the skew is shown as 134, which is how I have the dish.
From many previous threads I have read, it sounds like the 505 sat meter is very slow to respond. I can't see my tv from where I am mounting, but I can turn up the volume to hear the tone outside. Will it change in pitch and still beep in pauses, or become a continuous tone?

From many previous threads I have read, it sounds like the 505 sat meter is very slow to respond. I can't see my tv from where I am mounting, but I can turn up the volume to hear the tone outside. Will it change in pitch and still beep in pauses, or become a continuous tone?

not very slow, only about a 5-10 second delay. when you lock on, the duration of the tone prolongs with higher signal and I believe the pitch is higher.

You may also want to invest in a cheap analog 13" TV to bring out to your dish so you can see the meter. When I did my install in 2008, I was having such a hard time localizing, I was getting frustrated, so I called Mike, spoke to Laurel (his wife) who recommended taking the tv outside to see, and within 2 minutes, I was locked on.

So, if I understand correctly, you have to put in on one of those channels before you go through the options to the satellite tuning screen.

That is correct, you need to have the receiver on a channel that is coming from the satellite you are trying to find.

Like Frenchophile said, get a TV of some sort out to help you. I can't imagine trying to find a satellite without a TV/monitor or a sat finder on a first time setup. Even a computer monitor that has a composite video & audio connection is an option.

When you use your "cheapie sat meter", where are you physically?....at the dish?

And where is your receiver located when it shows no signal?......inside your house?

If such is the case, could it be possible that you have a bad connection between the location of the "cheapie sat meter" and the receiver? A bad or rusted connection downstream of the meter location will prevent any power from going up to the dish and any signal from getting to the receiver. This might explain why you get a signal on your meter but none at the receiver........?

Last edited:
When you use your "cheapie sat meter", where are you physically?....at the dish?

And where is your receiver located when it shows no signal?......inside your house?

If such is the case, could it be possible that you have a bad connection between the location of the "cheapie sat meter" and the receiver? A bad or rusted connection downstream of the meter location will prevent any power from going up to the dish and any signal from getting to the receiver. This might explain why you get a signal on your meter but none at the receiver........?

I'm at the dish with the meter, the reciever is in the house. The cable should be fine since this is what I just disconnected from my Bell setup.

I could bring a reciever and tv out. The only thing holding me back is I just installed this in my HT rack, and it is a PITA pulling everything out of there to get the reciever out. Had I known what a hard time I was going to have, I wouldn't have put it in my rack so soon!

not very slow, only about a 5-10 second delay. when you lock on, the duration of the tone prolongs with higher signal and I believe the pitch is higher.

You may also want to invest in a cheap analog 13" TV to bring out to your dish so you can see the meter. When I did my install in 2008, I was having such a hard time localizing, I was getting frustrated, so I called Mike, spoke to Laurel (his wife) who recommended taking the tv outside to see, and within 2 minutes, I was locked on.

As I mentioned in the previous reply, if I don't find it within a few minutes on channel 711, I think I'll just bite the bullet, and yank it out of my rack and take it outside.

I'm at the dish with the meter, the reciever is in the house. The cable should be fine since this is what I just disconnected from my Bell setup.

I could bring a reciever and tv out. The only thing holding me back is I just installed this in my HT rack, and it is a PITA pulling everything out of there to get the reciever out. Had I known what a hard time I was going to have, I wouldn't have put it in my rack so soon!

What happens when you connect the "cheapie" in place of the receiver inside the house.....signal or no?

Just another thought.....

Are you sure you have set the elevation angle correctly? I have read of instances where those attempting to install a standard Shaw dish have misunderstood where the "mark" is located on the dish for properly setting the elevation. Is it possible you have a similar situation?

If the elevation is incorrect, you may ultimately intercept a satellite as your rotate the dish in azimuth, which will show as a signal on your cheapie meter, but will, in fact, be the wrong satellite.

Also, first check to make sure your mast is plumb. Your elevation setting, though seemingly correct on the dish, will be meaningless if the mast is tilted.

My mast is plumb, and I took everyones advice and dragged a TV out. Fortunately, I found some 40 foot cable so I didn't have to completely remove my reciever. So outside I go.

Hopefully, I'll get lucky soon. Once I do get a signal, I assume I should get a picture when I exit out of the tuner menu on channels 559 or 711.

I assume I should get a picture when I exit out of the tuner menu on channels 559 or 711.

You will get a picture even in the tuner menu once you have found the signal. Go gettem tiger! :up

If you get it working you can watch Styx and Glass Tiger in Niagra Falls to bring in the new year, and also watch the Canadian Juniors beat the US tonight. :)

Well, had to pack it in for today. I got a signal of 75, but no picture in the tuner menu. The channel number in the tuner menu showed 000. Shouldn't it have stayed on the channel I went into the options menu with?

Oh well, now it will be my New Years project. :)

Well, had to pack it in for today. I got a signal of 75, but no picture in the tuner menu. I guess I must have been on the wrong bird.

Now it will be my New Years project. :)

Just change channels, like 299, to see if you are on the other bird with a picture. Yes the channel number should have stayed I believe.

I recieved my used 505

You didn't state.....have you had this unit authorized by Shaw? If not, I don't believe you will receive a picture on either 599 (EWTN) or 711 (TVA Montreal).

If you receiver IS authorized, ignore the rest of this post......

If your receiver is not authorized, I believe you need to set the receiver to 299 to do the authorization. The catch-22 is that 299 is on F1R (only). (My system is pointed at F2 only, as I'm assuming yours is, and there is no signal being received on 299 [indicator is red] and hence no picture.) My understanding from other posts is that you would first have to point at F1R, tune to 299, call Shaw to authorize, and ONCE AUTHORIZED then repoint at F2.

Perhaps someone else would confirm this? My unit was purchased pre-authorized by the vendor, so I'm not speaking from experience on the authorization procedure.

Last edited:
Well, rainy day in SW Florida, so no dish playing today.

It is not a virgin unit, I bought it used. I thought they only had to be authorized if they have never been in the stream, but as Joshuals said, can someone confirm this?

Thanks and Happy New Year everyone!

Well, rainy day in SW Florida, so no dish playing today.

It is not a virgin unit, I bought it used. I thought they only had to be authorized if they have never been in the stream, but as Joshuals said, can someone confirm this?

Thanks and Happy New Year everyone!
it has to be authorized...an unauthorized box will receive /A\ccess, Knowledge BC, and a few radio stations, all on F1

are you sure?

I have a 205 that was previously authorized (not anymore as I upgraded to 505) and I still use that receiver to tweak the dish for F2. I have 111.1 boresight and 107.3 on a 4 footer (dish on right)

Attachments

• 100_0400.jpg
    100_0400.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 187

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts