No more Atlanta Braves on Sports South?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Vagabondking

Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Atlanta
Dish Network has declined to pay Fox Sports South for 45 Atlanta Braves games this year so metro Atlanta Dish customers will lose access to games starting this Friday against the Detroit Tigers - unless circumstances change.:mad:

were those the games that use to be on WTBS (now WPCH Peachtree TV)?

If so this is not new for Dish. Anytime a provider moves games from an OTA station to a cable station Dish always has balked about adding those extra games....and who suffers? The subscriber

No surprise, it's Charlie being Charlie ... it would be one thing if I was saving money by putting up with these shenanigans, but for the most part Dish and DTV cost the same now.

Honestly Charlie,you can't have it both ways.You can't charge as much as your competition,and cheap out in the same breath.If your gonna charge premium prices you better offer premium content,otherwise watch the subscribers flock to the competition.

Honestly Charlie,you can't have it both ways.You can't charge as much as your competition,and cheap out in the same breath.If your gonna charge premium prices you better offer premium content,otherwise watch the subscribers flock to the competition.

exactly....as it says in that article
This won't impact users of other cable and satellite providers, including AT&T U-verse, Xfinity, DirecTV, and Charter, all who have agreed to FSS's terms.

If this happens in the Atlanta market, I'm done with Dish. This is the last straw with them.

47 Braves games to not be aired by Dish:

http://m.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/...etwork-customers-may-lose-fox-sports-south-b/

Thoughts?

From the closed thread (I was typing my response as it was being closed).

So let me get this straight, there is an existing carriage agreement to carry the channels. But the channels bought additional content and will only allow Dish to see it if they pay more than the already agreed upon price?

What the heck type of contracts allow for those kinds of shenanigans? That's like FX saying hey, we just bought the rights to Iron Man 3, I know you already have a carriage agreement for FX, but if you want to watch that movie you have to pay more. But don't worry, we'll honor the existing carriage agreement whenever that movie isn't playing. As illustrated by the alternate hypothetical example, ridiculous. I can't believe other providers were ok with that.

exactly....as it says in that article
This won't impact users of other cable and satellite providers, including AT&T U-verse, Xfinity, DirecTV, and Charter, all who have agreed to FSS's terms.

Why does FSS get to impose new terms when a carriage agreement already exists?

This has been going on for a few years now

What happens is a team has games that are on local stations but produced by the FSN crew. Recently those games have moved from the OTA stations to the RSN's....the RSN's ask for a little more money to carry those extra games. If the provider says no then they don't get them.
In MOST cases Dish is the ONLY holdout....some examples of recent years

St Louis Blues from KPLR 11 to FSN Midwest
Dallas Stars from KFDI 27 to FSN SW
Minnesota Twins from WFTC 29 to FSN North
The Angels from KCAL (I think it was..maybe KCOP) to FSN West

Why does FSS get to impose new terms when a carriage agreement already exists?

the agreement is for X amount of games on that station. As example FSN North use to carry 125 Twins games a year. WFTC29 (local My affiliate) got the other 25 (the games were produced by FSN but just had "WFTC 29" in the corner instead of "FS North". A couple years ago FSN picked up the rights to those other 25 games and the providers had an option...pay the little extra money (we're talking pennies IIRC) to carry those extra games or you can't. This only affects the local market as the out of market packages get the games regardless.

Again this is not new

Twins thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...es-Game-Blocked?highlight=twins#axzz2RWorIrpm

Stars thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...w-blacked-out!?highlight=dallas#axzz2RWorIrpm

Angels thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/283354-Angels-Blackouts?highlight=angels#axzz2RWorIrpm

This has been going on for a few years now

What happens is a team has games that are on local stations but produced by the FSN crew. Recently those games have moved from the OTA stations to the RSN's....the RSN's ask for a little more money to carry those extra games. If the provider says no then they don't get them.
In MOST cases Dish is the ONLY holdout....some examples of recent years

St Louis Blues from KPLR 11 to FSN Midwest
Dallas Stars from KFDI 27 to FSN SW
Minnesota Twins from WFTC 29 to FSN North
The Angels from KCAL (I think it was..maybe KCOP) to FSN West

Again, I don't understand how what is being shown on the channel matters. There is a carriage agreement in place for that channel, so whatever is on it should be shown to everyone with a provider that has a carriage agreement in place.

I mean, ESPN just won a bid for all college bowl games, they didn't turn around and say:"hey, we added programming, existing carriage agreements don't cover it; either pay more or your subs don't get to watch the bowl games we are now carrying."

Sure, they can ask for more once the agreement comes up for renewal, but not until then.

So why are these situations different? What am I missing that allows these RSNs to swing this extortion?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

the agreement is for X amount of games on that station. As example FSN North use to carry 125 Twins games a year. WFTC29 (local My affiliate) got the other 25 (the games were produced by FSN but just had "WFTC 29" in the corner instead of "FS North". A couple years ago FSN picked up the rights to those other 25 games and the providers had an option...pay the little extra money (we're talking pennies IIRC) to carry those extra games or you can't. This only affects the local market as the out of market packages get the games regardless.

Again this is not new

Twins thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/249695-Tonights-Twins-Yankees-Game-Blocked?highlight=twins#axzz2RWorIrpm

Stars thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/194335-my-Dallas-Stars-games-are-now-blacked-out!?highlight=dallas#axzz2RWorIrpm

So providers pay RSNs based on the number of games shown and not for 24/7 carriage? How does that work when the carriage agreement comes up for renewal, but the RSN doesn't know how many games it will be carrying in two seasons (contract with the team is up for renewal before the envisioned end of the carriage agreement)?

That seems like an insane way to contract with these networks.

again the contract for FSN is different than ESPN

FSN is contracted to carry X number of games per year for a specified team. As example FSN North has 150 games televised (and 4 on Big Fox). There are 8 games this year not televised. So with all the rainouts/snowouts etc the Twins added a game (This past Tuesdays night game of a day night DH) and changed the lost Mets game (due to snow) that is in August now to a non televised event.

So providers pay RSNs based on the number of games shown and not for 24/7 carriage?

The main selling point for RSN's is the local content. Unless the Twins, Wild, Wolfies or college hockey is on I don't watch FSN. I don't care about some low ranked poker or a college softball game from New Mexico that they show as filler.

The provider pays for 24/7 coverage but if the amount of games a RSN has changes drastically (like adding 45 games) then the RSN I assume has the right to renegotiate with the providers. What I find interesting is Fox Sports got the rights to the Peachtree TV games this winter (long before baseball season) so its not like this just showed up

The main selling point for RSN's is the local content. Unless the Twins, Wild, Wolfies or college hockey is on I don't watch FSN. I don't care about some low ranked poker or a college softball game from New Mexico that they show as filler.

The provider pays for 24/7 coverage but if the amount of games a RSN has changes drastically (like adding 45 games) then the RSN I assume has the right to renegotiate with the providers. What I find interesting is Fox Sports got the rights to the Peachtree TV games this winter (long before baseball season) so its not like this just showed up

I had no idea RSNs were like this. That seems exceedingly strange. But, you learn something new every day.

I had no idea RSNs were like this. That seems exceedingly strange. But, you learn something new every day.

it is kinda weird but thats how they (FSN and CSN) do it. What I wonder is this year the Wolves came back to OTA in Minneapolis for 25 games (2 year contract)....so after next year if FSN North wants the rest of those games will they come back to the provider and say "we want more money to show those games"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)