No more Atlanta Braves on Sports South?

The provider pays for 24/7 coverage but if the amount of games a RSN has changes drastically (like adding 45 games) then the RSN I assume has the right to renegotiate with the providers.
Wait, so you are assuming this is the case? You were writing previously as if it was the case. If it is the case, what a completely messed up way of doing things.

Don't get me wrong,I don't agree with the prices the rsns charge,however,Dish is raising the multisport pack from $9 to $11,they just raised core packages by $5 minimum,they are set to raise equipment fees on hoppers.Seems to me they should have plenty of dough to pay for the extra games on rsns.

Don't get me wrong,I don't agree with the prices the rsns charge,however,Dish is raising the multisport pack from $9 to $11,they just raised core packages by $5 minimum,they are set to raise equipment fees on hoppers.Seems to me they should have plenty of dough to pay for the extra games on rsns.

Um, yepp...

Gotta have that Sprint money ;)

They did add Pac-12 and beinSport (though they didn't pay for that I think) and the someone of a waste of bandwidth StrikeZone channel this past year. It'd be nice if someone could pick soccer or football in the multisport pack instead of getting it all. If someone doesn't care for soccer, what good do those channels do them? Sorry... getting misty eyed over mini-a la carte again.

I would expect another increase in the fall. You know the Disney/ESPN contract is up in September.

Gotta pay for Mickey and Minnie's luxury suite at the College Football Playoffs.

I would expect another increase in the fall. You know the Disney/ESPN contract is up in September.

Gotta pay for Mickey and Minnie's luxury suite at the College Football Playoffs.

Yea,those infamous words uttered by Joe Clayton,are still ringing in my ears.(Our checkbooks are open) He should have said our customers checkbooks are open.

Exactly why I'm gone if Dish doesn't come to resolution.

Dish Network has declined to pay Fox Sports South for 45 Atlanta Braves games this year so metro Atlanta Dish customers will lose access to games starting this Friday against the Detroit Tigers - unless circumstances change.:mad:

And I find this out after reactivating my account for the summer... My DirecTV account is on suspension until October. I might just bite the cancellation fee for this one. Raising prices while offering less than before is not my idea of a good service.

Unless....

“DISH customers in Atlanta will still receive 105 games on FOX Sports South and SportSouth, but as it stands now, will not receive the 47 games recently acquired by Fox Sports. DISH customers outside of Atlanta will still be able to watch all Braves games carried on FOX Sports South and SportSouth

Doesn't that imply that this will only affect those residing in the Atlanta DMA? If so, I should still get the games, and I think they are about to have a lot of "movers."

Last edited:
Here is what dish is saying about this.

C/P:

Atlanta Braves Games on FOX Sports South and SportSouth We know that Atlanta Braves games are important to our subscribers in the Atlanta area which was previously controlled by Peachtree TV (WPCH), a local affiliate. FOX Sports recently took control of the local rights to carry 47 Braves games in Atlanta, in addition to the 105 games for which they already controlled the rights. Moving these 47 games to a new network was not our choice and out of our control. FOX then decided that in order for DISH to have access to these rights DISH must pay substantially more money. DISH customers in Atlanta will still receive 105 games on FOX Sports South and SportSouth, but as it stands now, will not receive the 47 games recently acquired by Fox Sports. This includes the game scheduled for April 26th. If a customer is a FOX Sports RSN customer and lives outside if the Atlanta area they will still have access to Brave’s content. DISH and FOX Sports are currently in negotiations to reach a fair agreement for the carriage of the games. We must keep our customers’ best interest in mind; if we were to accept surcharges like this, we would endanger our ability to keep our prices the lowest in the pay-TV industry. We will not accept the demands of Fox Sports and will not increase prices to our customers. We appreciate your customers’ concern and their loyalty. We are proud to consistently offer the best prices in the industry.

Honestly Charlie,you can't have it both ways.You can't charge as much as your competition,and cheap out in the same breath.If your gonna charge premium prices you better offer premium content,otherwise watch the subscribers flock to the competition.

This is why I hear that he is known very well as "Cheap Charlie."

This is why I love MLB TV. Dish can shove it. I've been looking for an excuse to save $$. I think I just found it.

I love MLB TV too and pay $125 for the service, but they blackout the Braves games here in Atlanta.

Does anyone know a "workaround" to watch local games through MLB TV? I've seen suggestions on turning your IP into a proxy, but that seems to technical for me. I've also seen where you can use other people's passwords and user names.

True, it sounds "illegal", but since I pay Dish over $1000 a year, and MLB $125, and still can't watch all Braves games, well I'm left with no choice but to pillage and plunder.

The subscription packages are as close to ala-carte as you'll get, but until MLB and NFL offer more choices than just all-or-nothing, I won't buy into that either. $25/mo for the entire league? How about $10/month for a single team? They would make money hand-over-fist if they offered more levels of subscription.

Doesn't that imply that this will only affect those residing in the Atlanta DMA? If so, I should still get the games, and I think they are about to have a lot of "movers."

Thats how I read it. When the games were on WPCH they were on an alternate channel outside of the Atlanta DMA (but in the Braves market) just like the Twins games on WFTC29 in Minneapolis (we had to watch it on 29 but folks outside Minneapolis market saw it on a RSN alt)

In MOST cases Dish is the ONLY holdout....some examples of recent years

St Louis Blues from KPLR 11 to FSN Midwest

Actually you can add when the Cards, several years ago, moved 40+ games to FSN Midwest - DISH AND Insight Cable refused to pay for those extra games. (this does NOT include the time just a couple years ago, when the Cards moved ALL of the last remaining (local) OTA games to FSN Midwest)
It was only after Comcast took over from Insight Cable & renegotiated a new contract, did ALL of the games come back to our cable systems; D* was really the only place to see ALL of the Cards games for that time...

Yes this sux royally ... I am on the phone now with Dish. What makes it worse is the CSR is located in Manilla...and doesnt even know who the Braves are so I requested to talk to someone in the US...it paid off...after my ranting she gave me a sweet discount for the next 10 months. But I am totally sick of all this crap dropping channels at will. :rant:

Yes this sux royally ... I am on the phone now with Dish. What makes it worse is the CSR is located in Manilla...and doesnt even know who the Braves are so I requested to talk to someone in the US...it paid off...after my ranting she gave me a sweet discount for the next 10 months. But I am totally sick of all this crap dropping channels at will. :rant:

I am so upset with the treatment I received from customer service regarding this issue that I am considering, even with their crappy picture quality, calling UVERSE and terminating my Dish account. It appears the customer service agents are kept in the dark regarding these issues and can provide no constructive information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)