No more discounts on Starz?

ppappas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 10, 2004
San Jose, CA
I have been getting half off of the Starz and Showtime packages for several years, usually by going online to cancel when the discount term was up (used to be 6 months, then turned into 3 months at a time). It now seems like Dish is doing away with this as my discount ended a couple of days ago and now when I go to cancel, I don't get the option for the discount again. My three month Showtime discount is up in another month, so I will see if the is the new normal. I suppose I can call to see about getting these again, but I really hate dealing with their phone CSRs.

Has anyone else experienced this lately?

When I log into my Dish account there is no option for the Starz discount like there used to be. I don't do a lot of the discounts as it is rarely programming I watch, but Starz used to be a staple there. I am guessing they aren't running any Starz discounts at all right now.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My Starz free for 3 months deal ran out yesterday. I also had Showtime for $1.99 for 4 months. I called the Loyalty Department this afternoon and was offered this deal: Showtime free for 3 months and Starz free for 1 month (Also the channels will drop off when the deals expire). They said this was the best they could do. I did take the offer.

Reactions: zippyfrog
I have been getting half off of the Starz and Showtime packages for several years, usually by going online to cancel when the discount term was up (used to be 6 months, then turned into 3 months at a time). It now seems like Dish is doing away with this as my discount ended a couple of days ago and now when I go to cancel, I don't get the option for the discount again. My three month Showtime discount is up in another month, so I will see if the is the new normal. I suppose I can call to see about getting these again, but I really hate dealing with their phone CSRs.

Has anyone else experienced this lately?
Dish has got a pretty good deal anyway. You sub to the Movie Pack where you get Starz Kids in that pack, then on Dish Anywhere you get the rest of the Starz fare. I wish it was that way with others, as we get TMC, but yet no Showtime/Flix via Dish Anywhere.

I had an offer for $5 per month for 6 months on my account summary screen, but when I clicked to redeem it came up at $10 per month. I chatted with a CSR and sent them a screen shot, they said there is no longer a 6 or 3 month $5 Starz, only available for $10 per month. Anyone else seen this or been able to get Starz at a discount this month?
dishscreen2.JPG

• Wow
I manage my elderly parents Dish account for them which has Starz, Showtime, and the Dish Movie package. All of the discounts for them had expired so I tried to re-up them on Saturday by canceling them. I was only offered a discount for Showtime. Neither the Dish Movie package nor Starz offered me one. I went ahead and fully canceled both of them and didn’t find anything in my offer area afterwards. Must be gone. I’m surprised the Dish Movie package discount is gone too.

We have Dish as well but had to add FuboTV to our lineup of streaming services last year when Dish dropped our RSN. One of the pluses of Dish is the great deal they offer on these movie channel packages. Without the discounts, it’s cheaper for me to subscribe to them on Fubo who offers a Starz/Showtime/Epix package for $20/month ($6.67/premium channel). I like Dish a lot and wish they would stop doing things that push me away to their competitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I manage my elderly parents Dish account for them which has Starz, Showtime, and the Dish Movie package. All of the discounts for them had expired so I tried to re-up them on Saturday by canceling them. I was only offered a discount for Showtime. Neither the Dish Movie package nor Starz offered me one. I went ahead and fully canceled both of them and didn’t find anything in my offer area afterwards. Must be gone. I’m surprised the Dish Movie package discount is gone too.

In my "Offers" section, they have Showtime for 3 months and Dish Movie Package for 6 months for $5.00 each, Is that a discounted price? Maybe give it a few days and see if they show back up in yours. It may just be there for me because I've never subscribed to either.

(apologies for the all caps. I didn’t feel like going back and re-typing it all after I realized I had done that)

I have been a DISH customer for 23 years. All I have ever asked for is an honest, steady price. In return, I have jumped through the same hoops every 3 to 6 months, threatening to cancel so that they gave me a temporary discount. I am finished with them. DISH SUCKS (they used to be the best with the best hardware- No More!)!!

THEY ARE MAKING THEMSELVES UNCOMPETITIVE IN THE MARKETPLACE. I CAN’T GET THE CHANNELS I WANT BECAUSE THEY KEEP CANCELING THEM. I SUPPORTED THEM WHEN THEY PLAYED HARDBALL WITH HBO, AND THEN MY LOCAL NETWORK PROVIDER, AND THEN WITH MY RSN, BUT THEY HAVE FORCED ME TO GO GET SEPARATE STREAMING ACCOUNTS FOR ALL OF THEM SO EVEN IF THEY BRING THEM ALL BACK, I AM NOT GOING TO PUT IT IN MY PACKAGE. AND NOW THAT I HAVE TO HAVE STREAMING EQUIPMENT ANYWAY (Apple 4K and firesticks - NO more monthly rental!) I SEE NO REASON TO CONTINUE PAYING FOR THE HOPPER OR THESE WIRELESS JOEYS THAT DON’T WORK WORTH A DAMN.

I AM ALSO GETTING RID OF COMCAST FOR MY BROADBAND, MOVING THAT OVER TO GIG FIBER FROM FRONTIER (OUR PHONE COMPANY). FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER WE HAVE COMPETITION FOR BROADBAND - NOW COMCAST WANTS TO LOWER MY RATE - TOO LATE!

I AM NOW GETTING 2GB SERVICE, HAVE HULU LIVE TV AND A HALF DOZEN OTHER STREAMING SERVICES AND MY BILL WILL GO FROM $320 A MONTH DOWN TO $125 A MONTH FOR EVERYTHING! That includes legal use of additional screens by my daughter and my mother who live elsewhere. The only cost is an extra $10 a month, and they will save over $380/mo between the two of them!

DISH will be bankrupt in about a year. Bye-bye and good riddance!

• Wow
Reactions: MikeD-C05
Perhaps they believe you have had enough discounts (several years, your words) for a while and it's time for you to pay full freight for a time. ;)
And maybe they will go out of business because they’re not competitive in the marketplace. As a long time dish subscriber (23 years) I can tell you that they are going to disappear. Nobody under the age of 40 (I am 60) will ever get DISH. And if anyone understands the options out there, no one else would get DISH either.

DISH will be bankrupt in about a year.
If I was a betting man..................

And if anyone understands the options out there, no one else would get DISH either.
I understand the options, and I still get DISH. My internet is ATT wireless hotspot, from 10 to 40 mbps and streaming is lot's of buffering and slow transition from guide to program to guide. DISH is way superior to my other options.

Hope it works out for you.

I had an offer for $5 per month for 6 months on my account summary screen, but when I clicked to redeem it came up at $10 per month. I chatted with a CSR and sent them a screen shot, they said there is no longer a 6 or 3 month $5 Starz, only available for $10 per month. Anyone else seen this or been able to get Starz at a discount this month?
View attachment 159995

Just saw this thread. YES, I had that when I signed in, same story from chat. I protested that I have a screen shot with date verified and I wasn't going to take no for an answer. She gave me a billing number to call, that person put me on hold, said yep he sees it and gave it to me.
He couldn't do it the normal way since there is no discount in the system but he gave me $30 off my bill to equal 6 months of $5 off. I could get Starz pay the $10 so end up getting what was advertised, or just keep the $30 off my bill and not even subscribe.
We decided to keep Starz for the six months.