No more free Roku?

theater4fun

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
U.S.A.
Hello,

So I have been out of the country for a couple of weeks and just now found out that AMC is no longer with Dish. I just recently contacted Dish for a Roku player but the "loyalty" agent only offered me $5 off for 3 months?
So I guess the roku deal is finished? I previously had the 200 package but in Feb. I chose the welcome pack to save a few dollars and it included AMC. Now the welcome pack is almost worthless.

I told the "loyalty" agent to cancel my service and she promptly asked me what day. This made me a bit angry as I know others have gotten so much more.
So basically, I have canceled my Dish account starting the 27th of this month and thinking of going back to cable even though I hate cable.

Anyone else have the same problem with the welcome pack and amc?

In the other thread I think that the poll is currently at more people not getting the Roku. If you prefer Satellite, why not look into joining the dark side (DirecTV). I never had them, but would presume to be better than cable.

Edit: 53% not getting the Roku to 47% getting it. I was in the 47%.

Hello,

So I have been out of the country for a couple of weeks and just now found out that AMC is no longer with Dish. I just recently contacted Dish for a Roku player but the "loyalty" agent only offered me $5 off for 3 months?
So I guess the roku deal is finished? I previously had the 200 package but in Feb. I chose the welcome pack to save a few dollars and it included AMC. Now the welcome pack is almost worthless.

I told the "loyalty" agent to cancel my service and she promptly asked me what day. This made me a bit angry as I know others have gotten so much more.
So basically, I have canceled my Dish account starting the 27th of this month and thinking of going back to cable even though I hate cable.

Anyone else have the same problem with the welcome pack and amc?

If not too late, you should try again. I have the welcome pack and was able to get a Roku. I was promised one the first time I called but it never arrived, so I called again and it arrived a couple of days later.

If you had AMC, IFC, We TV, or/and Sundance Channel in your package, then it is worth a try as you were affected by the AMC Networks dispute.

@chibi,
hi, what did you say to the Rep as you had the welcome pack?

I went through 2 reps. the first one was so bad he didn't even think that AMC was on the welcome pack. he even implied that I was somehow cheating the system! after he figured out that I was right he transfered me to the loyalty rep which was quick to cancel my subscription. I was with dish before years ago and had to pull teeth to get them to cancel. that was when I was going to go to directv. I have had both in the past but I really don't want another 2 year commitment right now.

@chibi,
hi, what did you say to the Rep as you had the welcome pack?

I went through 2 reps. the first one was so bad he didn't even think that AMC was on the welcome pack. he even implied that I was somehow cheating the system! after he figured out that I was right he transfered me to the loyalty rep which was quick to cancel my subscription. I was with dish before years ago and had to pull teeth to get them to cancel. that was when I was going to go to directv. I have had both in the past but I really don't want another 2 year commitment right now.

I just said that I heard that you were giving out free Roku for subscribers that were affected with the dropping of AMC. The rep put me on hold and came back
and said I would get a Roku. Although I had to call twice, the first rep I called said I would get one but it never arrived and when I called the second time
they said there was no record of the first call. This is the number I called 1-888-873-5765.

I have the Welcome pack and got a Roku, it took me two tries and I went through chat. The first rep gave me discounts on HBO & Showtime which I was already subscribing to. On the second chat I made a big stink about missing Breaking Bad and said I was thinking of switching to Direct TV. I was immediately transferred to a loyalty rep who offered me a Roku and $10 off my bill for 6 mo.

I was able to get a free Roku as well yesterday. First call the rep offered to let me call in once a month to get a three dollar credit for every episode that I bought off of Amazon. I then asked how much it would cost to get out of my contract and I was immediately transferred to a loyalty agent that promptly offered me the free Roku and $10 off per month for 12 months.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

In the other thread I think that the poll is currently at more people not getting the Roku. If you prefer Satellite, why not look into joining the dark side (DirecTV). I never had them, but would presume to be better than cable.

Edit: 53% not getting the Roku to 47% getting it. I was in the 47%.

That poll is for those that got the Roku OFFER, not the Roku itself. I never received the offer that was made by either snail mail or email but I got the Roku box, $35 one time credit & $10 @ month off for 12 months when I called. Had it in 3 business days. Just sayin'.....:)

Ed

old corps said:
That poll is for those that got the Roku OFFER, not the Roku itself. I never received the offer that was made by either snail mail or email but I got the Roku box, $35 one time credit & $10 @ month off for 12 months when I called. Had it in 3 business days. Just sayin'.....:)

Ed

I do not believe anyone received an offer for a roku via email or mailings. There were emails and mailers sent advising to call for solutions but nothing that said anything about a roku. If you called or chatted and received a roku then you got the offer.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

well, yesterday I chatted again as I am still out of the country. asked for loyalty and was quickly transfered. same offer again except 3 ppv more. I asked to put my account on pause until I could get back and talk to someone on the phone. the Rep said he would do this but he would need to talk to another dept.
a few minutes later was disconnected....today received an email with an offer to restore my canceled service :(
I give up...

Last edited:
I just called and got the roku. They did ask if I watch Breaking Bad but it wasclear that threy wanted to hear me say yes.

So, I have a feeling this is a tired subject...I actually called instead of chatted with a loyalty rep who "promised me" a roku player and $30 credit towards my bill. I thought "wow! maybe I won't cancel dish after all" and "maybe a call was all it took instead of a chat." I was happy at this point and felt like Dish maybe ok after all...
I didn't post until now because I felt like I needed to wait until it actually happened. Well surprise, surprise...I called about a week later because I have not seen anything in the mail and was wondering about shipping details.

This "loyalty" person said "I do not qualify because I did not subscribe to the "200 or more" packages. I knew this was BS because many others who lost AMC got it with no trouble. So at this point I have my account at a "pause" but am pissed and looking at other options!

It is just so annoying to have someone from the company that I spoke with promise me something and then a total reverse a week later! I even asked to speak with a manager but the lady said "I actually asked a manager and they said no".

At this point, I am recommending anyone to "STAY AWAY FROM DISH"!!!! You can't trust them for anything!!

Also, the "requirements for getting a Roku is the 200 package and up" and that is it!

Sorry if this seems too absolute, It is just so frustrating.

I wonder how this so called "Dirt" team deals with things that were promised and then it is reneged at the end.

[QUOTE="

I wonder how this so called "Dirt" team deals with things that were promised and then it is reneged at the end.[/QUOTE]

I have no relationship with the DIRT team. Nor do I have any love lost for DISH management these days.

However, I DO believe in rationality.

So - it was wrong for the DISH rep to promise you something just to get rid of you on the phone. They should review the phone call & take action.

Second, the free Roku was to "smooth out" the ill will or whatever from the folks who subbed to a package that had AMC and lost access to shows they specifically counted on seeing.

Again, I have no love lost with DISH these days. But if you did not sub to a package that had the programming that the Roku deal was supposed to " make up for", I don't really believe there's an argument here.

But DISH - are you listening????- I too have been promised certain things by some reps and have been reneged or "altered". This is not right and not the way to run a credible business.

I'm being honest, I can't have sympathy if you did not even subscribe to AMC.