SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
September 21, 2005
California Wants to Serve a Warning With Fries
By MELANIE WARNER
Americans may have plenty of reasons to fear French fries. While they are one of the country's favorite foods, they are soaked with trans fats, loaded with sodium and full of simple carbs, the bad kind. And, it turns out, they are also full of a chemical called acrylamide, which is known to cause cancer in laboratory rats and mice.

That discovery a few years ago has raised questions about the safety of fries, as well as potato chips, which are also packed with acrylamide.

It ultimately led to a showdown this summer over whether such foods should bear health warning labels and whether companies should be required to reduce acrylamide levels in their food.

The battle pits the activist attorney general of California against the food industry and the Food and Drug Administration.

What happens over the next few months could have a huge bearing on the eating habits of Americans, and may make a dent in the bottom lines of restaurants and food companies. French fries are the No. 1 consumed food in restaurants, according to the NPD Group, a research firm.

great....another stupid warning label

Gee...I didnt know these fries were bad for me...I better put a warning lable on it

If you want to put a warning lable on something, put it on the following
-stretch pants that are past size 10 for women...warning..these pants probably will not fit you and make your ass look huge (and scare people)
-shirts that fat women buy that are two sizes too small and think they look sexy in it....honey, showing your fat and stretch marks (from eating all those fries) doesn't make you sexy..but it does make me sick!

Put warning labels on things like that, not fries :)

Might as well put a warning label on anything with preservatives then, since those are chemicals that aren't naturally occuring.

Iceberg said:
great....another stupid warning label

Gee...I didnt know these fries were bad for me...I better put a warning lable on it

If you want to put a warning lable on something, put it on the following
-stretch pants that are past size 10 for women...warning..these pants probably will not fit you and make your ass look huge (and scare people)
-shirts that fat women buy that are two sizes too small and think they look sexy in it....honey, showing your fat and stretch marks (from eating all those fries) doesn't make you sexy..but it does make me sick!

Put warning labels on things like that, not fries :)

Now thats funny :D

cdru said:
I'm waiting for a warning on water bottles. "Warning, consuming too much water may lead to water intoxification, possibly resulting in coma or death". Will someone please think of the children!

Acrylamide is an organic solid of white, odorless, flake-like crystals. The greatest use of acrylamide is as a coagulant aid in drinking water treatment. Other uses of include: to improve production from oil wells; in making organic chemicals and dyes; in the sizing of paper and textiles; in ore processing; in the construction of dam foundations and tunnels. :eek:

I'll regulate my own eating habits, thank you (not very well based on past experience) - I long for the days of McDonalds fries cooked in good old lard - nothing since comes close.

cdru said:
I'm waiting for a warning on water bottles. "Warning, consuming too much water may lead to water intoxification, possibly resulting in coma or death". Will someone please think of the children!

Hmm we played CAPS in college with water... no one ever died but i remember people in the bathroom letting all taht water come out the other end.

Theres a MSDS sheet for water:( Besides whats already mentioned theres the shock hazard around electricity, solid for slip hazard ICE and many more.

WATER IS VERY DANGEROUS :)

They don't need warning labels for pant sizes beyond 10, they need to stop making pants that big. If those cows don't have clothes to wear they'll have to stay home and out of my site...

LOL, our FDA is the biggest whore of the big corporation, what's this theatre here?

We have the world's unhealthiest food marjet, with the exception of the great organic stuff but they cost an arm and a leg. Apart from those we eat genetically modified meat, corn, vegetable, gas-pumped eggs, all have absolutely unknown effects - ever wonder why EU still prohibit US food import and requires US companies to produce EU-conform version of their products? - yet simply approved by big business, errr the I meant FDA and now suddenly FDA cares about the fires?

Preposterous and pathetic little trick.

Purogamer said:
They don't need warning labels for pant sizes beyond 10, they need to stop making pants that big. If those cows don't have clothes to wear they'll have to stay home and out of my site...

EXCUSE ME!!! Morbid obesity is a DISEASE, with many causes including genetics!

You are a !!!@$#&^(*&()()

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/members/profile.php?N=H984352619

I guess you should blame yourself for your hair color?

Ahh forget it you are intelligent enough to understand it!

I apologize to nearly all of you for my last comment, as many of you know I nearly died from my weight, I was FAT just like nearly EVERY member of my famly, nearly all died very young from their co morbidities, weight caused health troubles.

Miss conceptions about causes of killer weight are a touchey area for me

I was typing this when the last post was made. No point in my comment has changed but now I understand why he's so defensive. Getting yourself help is great, but don't deny responsibility. EVERYONE in my family is fat as well, but they're all pigs like I was and I mention below
---------------

Excuse me, I started my senior year of high school at 316, and ended at who knows how heavy (I always say 350 but I don't know for sure), and today I weigh 214. Back then I would just eat and eat and eat. Today I know better and rather than say "oh boo hoo I can't do it" or "boo hoo it's genetics", I stopped stuffing my face with everything in site. Anyone who can't lose weight, or needs a freaking rubber band installed, is a weak human being. Period. My aunt used to do yoga followed up by half a bag of oreo's and wonder why she never lost weight.

People who actually WANT to lose weight can and do. People who SAY they want to, but aren't willing to stop buying ice cream in those 5 gallon tubs every week, don't lose weight. I used to be fat and did something about it. I did it for ME. I feel great, I'm not a huge sweaty mess anymore. Don't cry to me about your made-up disease.

You're not genetically obese, you're genetically stupid, there's a clear difference. Doctors make a lot of money telling you that it's not your fault even though it is. Learn to eat less, it's a lot easier and you'll look a LOT better when the weight comes off than losing it too fast via stomach stapling. What's the point of having such a tiny stomach if you're still filling it with ice cream and chips-ahoy??

lets quit with the attacks on people and keep it on topic :)

my comment was a joke.....some people have gone too far IMO

Iceberg said:
lets quit with the attacks on people and keep it on topic :)

my comment was a joke.....some people have gone too far IMO

I thought it was funny...especially the stretch pants thing. No offense to the people who are genetic predispositions to obesity, but some people just eat too damn much and our huge. Putting labels on everything bad for you would be an endless job and open the door for lawsuits against corporations like McDonalds for making Big Macs. Someone eats 5 a day, gets huge, then it is McDonalds fault????!?!?!?!?!? If it utterly evil for you then the product should not be used. It all goes back to the most ridiculous, stupid, overblown, needless, mindless, patheic, cowardly, oversensitive, and totally DUMB craze to sweep our nation in last oh..10 years or so....POLITICAL CORRECTNESS. GOD I HATE PC.

I HATE PC TOO!!!

I agree that the fries aren't as good as they used to be. So, let's start a campaign for McDonalds to bring back the lard for the fries!!! LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)