No more HD Distant Networks?

But DISH won't be delivering hd distants like AAD. They will be just filling in the lost networks with neighboring dmas right? Unless the new satellite rules allow hd distants, even if you have your locals from DISH already.

Exactly. In my case, they do provide me with SD "locals" -- since June -- which are not actually SV channels (per the FCC) but do resolve the short market issue I face. The problem is they will not turn these channels on in HD even though I have the right equipment, they are on conus (I've had them in the past when I was "visiting" that locale) and it pretty much comes down to a mapping issue.

So while they might be providing "distant networks" there is nothing that says they will be in HD - and in this day and age, what's the point if they are not in HD...

If Dish goes back into the DNS business, they will do no less than DirecTV, and that would be HD for East Coast and West Coast.

If Dish goes back into the DNS business, they will do no less than DirecTV, and that would be HD for East Coast and West Coast.

DIRECTV does not serve every DMA LiL in the US. Dish has to serve every DMA, that is the deal they made to get their distants license back. DIRECTV can sell distants to those that qualify in DMAs it does not serve locals. Once a DBS company carries a local market, they cannot sell distants there if there is a local affiliate. They cannot provide out of market HD if they do not have locals in HD. Essentially Dish is limited to only providing stations that are missing in a given DMA.

I wonder if DISH will do HD versions of the CW and My network Tv with that other transponder? That would be cool for those in markets with no hd or sd version of those stations.

Exactly. In my case, they do provide me with SD "locals" -- since June -- which are not actually SV channels (per the FCC) but do resolve the short market issue I face. The problem is they will not turn these channels on in HD even though I have the right equipment, they are on conus (I've had them in the past when I was "visiting" that locale) and it pretty much comes down to a mapping issue.

If I remember right the rule is if your locals aren't in HD they can't turn on the "imported" ones. I know the example you're talking about. The market down the road from me is the same way...CBS & Fox only. Dish you get them 2 stations and the 2 Minneapolis fill in stations in SD only. D* you get ABC, NBC & Fox from Minneapolis in HD because the CBS in Mankato they carry in HD (The Fox station came around after D* added Mankato locals so depending on who you have as a provider you get a different Fox affiliate).

Based on what the laws seem to be, I would predict the following from Dish;

1. They will be able to offer a Distant network to those areas that are short, or the very rare instance where Dish is not offering locals.

2. They will indeed offer networks to RV/Truckers

3. They will be able to, if they choose, to offer significantly viewed.

As noted, they will not be allowed to offer a distant channel (different from significantly viewed) to anyone who is served by Dish with their locals.

2. They will indeed offer networks to RV/Truckers

As noted, they will not be allowed to offer a distant channel (different from significantly viewed) to anyone who is served by Dish with their locals.
This could be interesting as E* forces you to have Locals whether you want them or not. As an RVer, I could care less about Locals but need DNS.

Scott Greczkowski said:
No announcement yet, but would not surprise me to see them announce them soon. All their ducks are lined up in a row. :)

I hope it's really soon. NFL Divisional games, Championship games and the Super Bowl are all lined up (like Dish ducks) these following weekends. Wouldn't wanna watch them in SD.

That once again brings up the possibility of offering the Superstation Package in HD.

That is really a separte issue. the Supers are handled differently in the law. DISH could offer them in HD today but it might prompt even more syndex requests than they get today.

what is a syndex request?

Mitch

A syndicated show like Wheel of Fortune, Oprah, etc. gives exclusive OTA rights to stations paying to carry the show. If the show exists on a superstation, the local station could request that Dish blacks out the show. Since it is a big pain to handle for Dish, in the past Dish has simply stopped offering the superstation channel in the area rather than try to coordinate all the blackout requests.