No more HD Distant Networks?

If the 110 isn't broke why not leave it there. You never know what might pop up at that location that you might want later..... I have a western arc dish along with the 148 that's been there for years. There isn't even a 148 these days but you never know..... ;)

I have no problems getting waivers from NBC and CBS living in Chicago for distant nets - I did this twice already so I wouldn't know why Dish Network wouldn't accept them again. Revenue is revenue as long as it's on the up an up.

Because Dish is operating under a new law now. They cannot sell distants to a market that has existing stations. AAD/Sobongo could do it since they did not offer local channels anywhere. In order for Dish to regain its distants license (it lost it under the old law) it had to agree to carry every market. Since it carries every market it can no longer offer distants to anyone if there is a local affliate. So, if your market has all 4 affliates, you cannot qualify for locals from Dish network. Now there is an RV exception that Dish will probably offer to those with RVs.

That's why it would be so much better for another third party to offer distants through Dish. There are many who are in at least a partial white zone, that could get some or all distants, but if Dish is going to be the provider it will be a very very few who can get them. Which is why I am surprised if Dish is going to offer them, and use Sat space for it.... On that note, I think it was a mistake to disallow distants to those served by Satellite. If the local channel can not provide a signal, that alone should be enough to allow distants. If I am forced to get the signal by paying for it, I should have the choice of from where if it is available to me, and up to the limit per network allowed.

Last edited:
If the 110 isn't broke why not leave it there. You never know what might pop up at that location that you might want later..... I have a western arc dish along with the 148 that's been there for years. There isn't even a 148 these days but you never know..... ;)

In my opinion, excellent advice. :)

Distant Networks remove High Def stations via All America Direct

Many Dish users were surprised last night when they tried to tune into channels 73-76, the network stations from Chicago that All American Direct was providing to Dish customers who lost their distant networks when the FCC ruled that Dish could not provide its customers with distant networks, a couple of years ago. So those of us without local channel access could enjoy HD network programming was a great improvement and I'm sure any customer with newer HD equipment would jump at the opportunity. The recording on All American Direct's phone says they discontinued the programming for business reasons. Not even hey we need to charge an extra $5 a month.

Can anyone explain that, and what options there are for folks like me?

Last edited:
Right before Super Bowl is terrible time to lose HD networks. Lots of parties planned around the guy with the biggest HD set up. Here in Caribbean Dish is only way to get HD networks. Huge setback. Let's hope it is temporary. If it was business decision like they claim, they could have simply raised the fee for the HD network service. You going to say no to a $10 increase? But why just HD, unless something screwy with the pricing?

I called yesterday as soon as I heard they were gone. (It was hard to get through and the first agent after holding for 10 minutes, put me on hold until I redialed). Anyhow, to the point, the agent told me that there were no refunds and I had to take the SD's for the remainder of the year. I didn't argue, but I think if you do argue, they'll possibly send out a credit as I've read elsewhere... not sure they actually received it though...

No refunds? :rolleyes: LOL What kind of two-bit company is this Sobongo? They are planning on keeping people's money for a service they no longer provide? Someone is asking to get the attorney general involved

No refunds? :rolleyes: LOL What kind of two-bit company is this Sobongo? They are planning on keeping people's money for a service they no longer provide? Someone is asking to get the attorney general involved

For the record, they offered me a refund without me asking, as well as applying it to SD distants. I have had a few private messages from other posters who also were offered a refund.....

Sobongo = All American Direct = National Programing Service (NPS) Check the 4DTV discussion and find out how lovely an organization this is.

You are right lol, it doesn't bother me being up there so I will just leave it for now. Thanks! :)

Check channel 240 and note Sobongo is gone! Now its Dish Network Hunt. As an RV'er I am just a bit concerned as I depend on them for my SD networks! The All America Direct web site is gone also and has not been up for a week...Has anyone called them today? Goodby SuperBowl?

jsaturn

I'm an RV-er as well, and returned from my home to my RV after Christmas vacation, turned to my beloved Distant HD's and - well, nothing! Called AAmerican/Sobongo, guy said "contractual hassles with Dish", so I switched to a year of SD for a relatively reasonable sum, like $120 for 13 months with both sets of "distants". I hate not having the HD feeds; wonder what Dish will do with this market segment, if they no longer will allow AAmerican to broadcast the HD Distants....
Guess I should be "happy" that I can still get the E-W distants even in SD, given how sticky DirecTV was with the same issue a few years ago when I was using DirecTV. And BTW, seems like CBS on SD feeds has the best picture. Who knows why?

I am also a part time RV-er and would have been glad to pay more, especially since AA was my only source of networks in HD at my house.
Dish just started giving us a local package this year but none in HD. Bad thing is that my neighbors all have networks in HD from DirecTV (New York). D* can do this since a check using antennaweb.org shows no OTA for our area. I do have an outside antenna that would pick up what would be a class b signal from an ABC station but that ended with the change to digital. (The ABC station stayed on a VHF frequency)

Ahh yes. I totally forgot about that market. You are right.

and those of us who live outside of any market and have these huge mountains blocking all HD AND SD OTA ... there are many more than the before mentioned percentage of users. We may be moving to the other sat provider at this point who can offer local HD in our area ... sucks since we have been with Dish for almost 15 years, but they don't seem to care ... not even so much as a notification or we're sorry when I called.

Has anyone actually received a refund yet? Still waiting on mine. Seems really odd how you have to write in to get a refund. They should be able to credit your credit card right over the phone, as easily as they charge it when you subscribe. Same process, just reverse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)