No More TV Guide for OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Barney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Kyle in Republic of Texas
Sorry if this info has been posted. On my Sony Brava TV Guide (using OTA) there is a message: Starting Nov 1 thru April 2013, Rovi is discontinuing gudies in North America. TV Guide +, TV Guide, & Rovi guide will no longer have data. I contacted Sony tech support and the only way to have the guide is to have an internet ready monitor connected to the internet (may be the reason that DISH's new hopper guide for locals has issues ?).
So my 4 yr old Sony isn't internet ready.

Well crap, there went my Sony DHG 250 HD Dvr guide listings. Just checked and no listings for all channels. I guess nothing's recorded on it for the last 2 weeks. Guess it's nothing more than a glorified OTA tuner now, since it relies solely on the TVGoS (Rovi) for clock and listings.

PSIP info will still be available and you don't even have to pay for it.

boba, thanks my friend. But if PSIP is a protocol of ATSC tuners, then why is osu1999 HD DVR not showing anything ?
I contacted my local ABC & they said they had already removed/canceled the ROVI service but haven't replaced it with anything yet. I ck'ed yesterday & re checked my TV Guide on my Sony...the guide is still there, times are good, each station is still listed with programming but there isn't any info about what is contained on each program, just has for example: 24.1 KVUEH (thats my local ABC station).

osu1991 said:
Well crap, there went my Sony DHG 250 HD Dvr guide listings. Just checked and no listings for all channels. I guess nothing's recorded on it for the last 2 weeks. Guess it's nothing more than a glorified OTA tuner now, since it relies solely on the TVGoS (Rovi) for clock and listings.

I guess that hits my 500. What's this about April? It's coming back? Or that's when the phase out ends?

Our Sonys should be good for cable use. DHGs that is.

There is a workaround to set timers for continued use over at AVS.

Rovi will no longer support the legacy devices. If a device doesn't support version 10.1 (I think) then you're out of luck. I'm not up date on the Rovi guides anymore. I think 10.1 receives updates via the internet and is built into several models of tv's.

Barney -- My Sony is an anomaly. It was designed by Sony to only work with TVGoS. It can't even set its clock without the signal from Rovi. I also have a DTVPal Dvr, that uses both the TVGoS and PSIP. I checked it and it has switched to psip for all channels, so it has listings that vary anywhere from 2 hrs to 48hrs out.

Navychop -- Rovi is supposed to be putting up an announcement where the ads are in the guide to notify people that Rovi will be ending support between Nov 1 and April 2013. The guide is still working in some markets, apparently they already shut it off in the Tulsa market. My Sony has no listings on all channels and the last recording that went thru was Nov 5.

I connected the cable from Cox back into my Sony hoping it might still get some listings from Cox, but it hasn't. I think it may still work with Cable if one had a cable subscription and used a cable card.

Still working in Fairfax County VA. Got the warning. And "Please contact your CE manufacturer for further details." Anybody contacted Sony about our DHGs? Is a s/w update to use PSIP or some other fix even possible?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)