No new HD programming from DISH this year

snidely

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
DISH folks were proudly demonstrating the 942 at CES. Appears to be for real and may be released as early as next month.
The question many, including me, asked - "what about programming"? Instead of some wishy-washy answer like "we are working on adding more soom", the reply given was "nothing before the end of the year."
DISH has only 7 HD channels. D* has 2- 3 times as many w. more coming by summer. VOOM has more than anybody, with more on the way. BEV has over 20 (Canadian DBS using DISH equipment). Star Choice has about 6, but more are coming this year.
And then there is cable. Most systems now offer most of the local channels in HD and have a DVR AND there is no upfront outlay for hardware.

So, why is DISH bothering w. HD hardware with virtually no progrmming available on their system? I am hoping the 942 will be available so I can use it with my BEV system. BEV seems to slowly be adding HD content. They have 4 PPV channels in HD - more than anyone. For some strange reason VOOM has no HD PPV.

...mike

snidely said:
DISH folks were proudly demonstrating the 942 at CES. Appears to be for real and may be released as early as next month.
The question many, including me, asked - "what about programming"? Instead of some wishy-washy answer like "we are working on adding more soom", the reply given was "nothing before the end of the year."
DISH has only 7 HD channels. D* has 2- 3 times as many w. more coming by summer. VOOM has more than anybody, with more on the way. BEV has over 20 (Canadian DBS using DISH equipment). Star Choice has about 6, but more are coming this year.
And then there is cable. Most systems now offer most of the local channels in HD and have a DVR AND there is no upfront outlay for hardware.

So, why is DISH bothering w. HD hardware with virtually no progrmming available on their system? I am hoping the 942 will be available so I can use it with my BEV system. BEV seems to slowly be adding HD content. They have 4 PPV channels in HD - more than anyone. For some strange reason VOOM has no HD PPV.

...mike
If VOOM had locals, I might switch to them until the 2-wire SWB package with MPEG-4 comes out.

My commitment ends on 1/19. As sad as this is, I'm switching back to my local Adelphia office. They have ESPNHD (presumeably ESPN2HD, since Directv and Adelphia are the only companies on the press release), Discovery HD, Inhd, Indh2, HDNet, HDNet Movies, my local CBS (which I get with the 811 OTA antenna) and my local ABC (which I do not get). So, I'm adding 3 channels and only losing TNTHD. I absolutely loathe Adelphia, but it appears they actually offer more for me in the HD arena.

Just to clarify things on this thread, Charlie announced on his Chat this week that "1 or 2" HD channels could be added before they switch to MPEG-4 late in the year. Whether or not you can believe him remains to be seen. I "invested" in a 921 so I'm reluctant to change, plus I'd lose NY/LA channels if I switch, but D* is looking better and better to me.

Actually he mentioned three, "....ESPN2, Bravo, and maybe a movie channel"

Bravo has had a name change to UniversalHD and has supposedly become destined to be a home for NBC/Bravo/SciFi content as well as an outlet for the Universal film and TV library (No slouches there.....)

I drool over the prospect of Battlestar Galactica and Stargate in hi-def.

Now the $$$$ question... Will it actually happen (soon).

Now Charlie, don't give us any of that felgercarb. Get it already.

(Sorry, had to let my inner geek out for a sec....)

Maybe these and similar threads should be in the Dish "User" forum, I heard from a Dish executive that they do actually monitor some of these discussions but I'm not sure how "deep" they go into the various topics.

Anyway, maybe if Dish heard enough noise about this, they'd cut a deal to get it up on the events channel. They're getting hit with a lot of flack lately, so who knows?
Walt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts