No OTA option for HD DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
There does not appear to a current DirecTV HD DVR that offers a OTA DVR option? This is the only thing stopping me from dumping Dish and going to DirecTV.

Would be nice to have a UHF out as well so I can pipe the output of one tuner throughout the house.

To further clarify, the AM21 is a $50-$60 add on the hooks up to the USB port on the back of the HR21, HR22 and HR23 HD DVRs. The older HR20 HD DVRs have OTA built in.

Would be nice to have a UHF out as well so I can pipe the output of one tuner throughout the house.

But do understand that NO DirecTV receiver made allows 2 SEPARATE outputs from the same box; all outputs on the box show the same thing at all times. There is NO way to run each tuner to a separate output.
But if all you are wanting to do is feed a 2nd room, why not just get a 2nd DVR - this way, EACH room has TWO tuners to play with. And unlike DISH, DirecTV does NOT charge you another DVR fee for added DVR boxes. (only the $5 additional receiver fee)

To further clarify, the AM21 is a $50-$60 add on the hooks up to the USB port on the back of the HR21, HR22 and HR23 HD DVRs. The older HR20 HD DVRs have OTA built in.

So if I hook up this AM21 that is a OTA tuner? Does that allow me to DVR from that tuner or is it a strictly watch it live only?

And if it can record does that mean I can be recording 3 shows at once, 2 from the SAT and 1 from the OTA? Anyone have this AM21 yet? Seems to be real new?

The AM21 adds two ATSC tuners and yes you can record OTA from them on the HR2X's. However the HR2X limites you to only two concurrent recordings, can be two satellite, two OTA or one OTA and one satellite. You also can't record two and watch a 3rd live like Dish receivers can do.

And no, the AM21's are not new, they've been out for a year at least IIRC. They are just now adding support for the H21/H23 receivers for folks that want ATSC capability on those boxes.

The AM21 has been around for awhile. And yes you can record the OTA channels just like satellite channels. As far as the programming guide and receiver are concerned, OTA channels are just like other channels. One difference is that the channels show as a different color than the satellite HD channels

As far as recordings go, you can still only do two at a time. 2 satellites or 2 OTAs or one of each at the same time.

10035381qr1.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)