No OTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
Something is not right? My 722K OTA module picks up many stations in my area. Put the antenna on my Sony HD recorder and it picks up the same stations. Now put the antenna on my Sonicview 8000 and run a search for DTV channels and I get nothing. I have read where others have been successful with OTA and this receiver, but not mine. Any ideas?

RT.:confused:

Got me. Maybe it's defective. I look forward, like you, to seeing some suggestions posted.

Got me. Maybe it's defective. I look forward, like you, to seeing some suggestions posted.

The rest of the receiver works great. I just did another check and noticed that during the scan I saw no strength or quality on the meter. You may have the answer. Doesn't work.

RT.

You might want to pot this in a DIH NEtwork forum. It is more likely to be seen by people knowledgeable about the equipment.

Some of the SV8000's software programs did not support OTA(like the original factory software). What software are you using? You may have to go to one of the last hacker software version to use your OTA. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the last good hacker software, but was issued in January on '09. This was the last release BEFORE they went to dongles.

Don't give up the SV8000 is a fine receiver/PVR, just search for different software.

I hate to state the obvious, but ...
...are you sure you connected the OTA to the correct coax port on the back side of the SV 8000? ;)

Some of the SV8000's software programs did not support OTA(like the original factory software). What software are you using? You may have to go to one of the last hacker software version to use your OTA. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the last good hacker software, but was issued in January on '09. This was the last release BEFORE they went to dongles.

Don't give up the SV8000 is a fine receiver/PVR, just search for different software.
Interesting. It was used for ripping signal from the owner before me. I located the factory software and loaded it when I started to use it for real FTA. Gee whiz, if I had known that, I could have saved myself some problems. What I really wanted to do was be sure I got all that "bad" stuff off the unit before I used it. I will look around for the "other" software.

I hate to state the obvious, but ...
...are you sure you connected the OTA to the correct coax port on the back side of the SV 8000? ;)
Three connectors One marked ATSC in, one LNB in, and one marked IF Out. It is connected to the ATSC in.

Thanks,

RT.

Make sure you use the "cleaner" file several time to make sure you have gotten ALL of the third party software off your flash area. Then, Google "Sonicview files" and look to old third party files used before the dongle software. None of this software works for hacker purposes any longer, but the files do contain all of the updates for the SV8000, just what you are looking for for TRUE FTA use. No hacking allowed at this FTA site. The sonicviewUSA site has a later version of their firmware listed, I don't know if you've tried it, also don't know if it works for fixing the OTA bug.

Last edited:
we might have them in the downloads section

another thought...when you scan does it actually scan the channel number or does it scan a frequency? I know on the Coolsat 8000 they scan a frequency (like 406000) instead of a channel (22) and the defaults dont pick up anything. I had to change it to 1000 mhz steps instead of the defualt (6000) and then it worked fine

Can you show a screen shot of the OTA scan option?

on some receivers you actually need to configure the OTA antenna in the setup menu before you can scan the channels in. The Diamond 9000HD is this way.

Last edited:
It's probably nothing like my CS8100 , but I had to change the atsc start/end scan freg. to pull any channels in , it did not spec. this in the manual and was different than the CS8000 settings , hope you get it working .

Make sure you use the "cleaner" file several time to make sure you have gotten ALL of the third party software off your flash area. Then, Google "Sonicview files" and look to old third party files used before the dongle software. None of this software works for hacker purposes any longer, but the files do contain all of the updates for the SV8000, just what you are looking for for TRUE FTA use. No hacking allowed at this FTA site. The sonicviewUSA site has a later version of their firmware listed, I don't know if you've tried it, also don't know if it works for fixing the OTA bug.
Yes, did the cleaner more than once. Have looked for "old files" but any that was found, they wanted you to download "something else" that I did not want or trust in any way.

we might have them in the downloads section

another thought...when you scan does it actually scan the channel number or does it scan a frequency? I know on the Coolsat 8000 they scan a frequency (like 406000) instead of a channel (22) and the defaults dont pick up anything. I had to change it to 1000 mhz steps instead of the defualt (6000) and then it worked fine

Can you show a screen shot of the OTA scan option?
Scans frequency - 473000 thru 851000 step 6000. You can change the freq, but the steps show you should be able to change it, you cannot. Will not change. Will come up with screen shot when I figure out just how I am going to do that.

on some receivers you actually need to configure the OTA antenna in the setup menu before you can scan the channels in. The Diamond 9000HD is this way.
No way to set up antenna.

RT.

P.S. If I do not come back for a long time, it is due to this lap top needing a new power connector. Have to disassemble the whole thing to get to the board to change connector. May take some time. . . . )

No way to set up antenna.

RT.

P.S. If I do not come back for a long time, it is due to this lap top needing a new power connector. Have to disassemble the whole thing to get to the board to change connector. May take some time. . . . )

if memory serves, for the Diamond 9000HD you needed to setup one of the satellites as "Terrestrial" for the ATSC to work properly. There were some other receivers like this as well.

Scans frequency - 473000 thru 851000 step 6000. You can change the freq, but the steps show you should be able to change it, you cannot. Will not change. Will come up with screen shot when I figure out just how I am going to do that.

ok it needs to be changed to 1000 steps
as for the frequencies it all depends on what RF channels (not what they map to) that you have. If all the stations in the market are UHF (now again its what their LEGIT channel is NOT what you're use to.) As example, channel 4 in Minneapolis is on 32 but maps to 4. Scan 473000-700000. Thats really as high as you need to go
If there are stations on VHF Hi (9, 11, 8 etc) you would need to do another scan of 174000-216000. That is 7-13

if memory serves, for the Diamond 9000HD you needed to setup one of the satellites as "Terrestrial" for the ATSC to work properly. There were some other receivers like this as well.
As stated, there isn't any setup for antenna. Only thing is if you have the add on tuner for doing "bad" things. Receiver had one when I got it, a poster here stated to remove it due to heat. It is of not use for true FTA. Took it out and unit IS much cooler.

ok it needs to be changed to 1000 steps
as for the frequencies it all depends on what RF channels (not what they map to) that you have. If all the stations in the market are UHF (now again its what their LEGIT channel is NOT what you're use to.) As example, channel 4 in Minneapolis is on 32 but maps to 4. Scan 473000-700000. Thats really as high as you need to go
If there are stations on VHF Hi (9, 11, 8 etc) you would need to do another scan of 174000-216000. That is 7-13
Understand what you mean here. When HD started in my area stations some time ago, I picked up a tuner so I could get them with my new HDTV. My local channel 9 was on that tuner as channel 40. When weather was right, I could get the channel 5 across the big lake. they were on 56 on that receiver. Now they are 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 5.1, 5.2, etc. Interesting list of frequencies here. But unit (8000) will still not allow a change from that 6000 only scan. It has the markers < 6000 > that show it should change but will not. Something is not right. Will keep working on that screen shot.

Maybe will do another "clean" and install of factory software to see if that will fix it. Question on the "clean and install". Will that wipe out all the sats I have in it or will they still be there???

Thanks

RT.

P.S. (gota go, RT just yelled for more Kat food. When 19 pounder yells, best to jump. I really picked up a 29 pounder some one had!)

Last edited:
Well, empiretc's link to another discussion had a post by JohninSD that had the file I have been searching for. Version 4.43. Installed it and did a scan and STILL cannot get rid of that 6000 step only. It did not pick up anything. So, I guess this 8000 was just not to be used for OTA pickup.:(

RT.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts