No pulses from reed switch only when trying to move the dish east.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

warnerwlf98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Northern AZ
I ran into a weird problem. I'm controlling my actuator with a VBox X and I can move my dish west (extend only) and I'm getting pulses from my reed switch, but when I try to go in the opposite direction (retract), I get Error 2 from the positioner, ie no pulses.

I went out and loosened the reed switch so that the motor can freely turn in both directions under it, but I still have the same problem. It's looking to me like my actuator will just not retract to move back east.

It's making me think that the reed switch is fine, but there's something wrong with my actuator. I'm thinking of reversing the motor wires to see if I can make it go east, but after that, I don't know what to try. I just wish I don't have to replace the actuator.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Thanks.

Check your hard limit switches under the cover to see if one is stuck, likely the east limit switch.

Thanks. I'll check this out. I'm not sure where it would be though, but I'm sure I'll come across it because there's not much stuff under the cover.

Nope, no sticking. Maybe the switch is bad somehow. I'll check to see if the switch is open, even though the buttons aren't depressed.

Have someone move it while you watch it. I think you may find the magnet wheel move away from the switch when moving one direction, and move closer in the other direction (besides just rotating).

I think it's the positioner. I tested the limit switches and they're working the way they should. I swapped the motor wires, and now I can move it east . . . but can't move it west now. I guess the positioner can only deliver current in one direction only.

For the time being I'm going to have to swap the motor wires back and forth to tune in 99W so I can watch the networks while I figure out what to do.

Check the diodes soldered across the hard limit switches with a VOM - if the diode is open both ways it wouldn't allow you to reverse polarity when you reach an end limit.
The diodes should read higher resistance one way & lower the other. Depress the limit switches to open contacts & read the diodes. Set the ohmmeter to 20 meg full scale.

Hope this helps.

Yep. I'll try this out. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Check the diodes soldered across the hard limit switches with a VOM - if the diode is open both ways it wouldn't allow you to reverse polarity when you reach an end limit.
The diodes should read higher resistance one way & lower the other. Depress the limit switches to open contacts & read the diodes. Set the ohmmeter to 20 meg full scale.

Hope this helps.

I think a bad diode wouldn't let you reverse. Think it's your positioner. Put the voltmeter across the motor leads and check for voltage in each direction. Might be a stuck relay. A good BANG fixed one I had. On another I had to remove the cover and free the flapper.

On a second look, one of the limit switches stays closed (ie stays continuous with the motor wires) if the switch is depressed or not. The other one works by opening the circuit when depressed and that diode indeed has a lower resistance in one direction than the other.

It's easier to try messing with the positioner first, so that's what i'll try.

No potential difference across the motor leads when trying to go east and 36V going west. Yep, it's probably the positioner. I hear a teeny, teeny click when trying to go east. The relays in the VBox X aren't see through like some I've seen before, and nothing is loose (via shaking) so I might bang them a few times and see if that helps, otherwise I might just have to pony up the bucks and get a GBox.

Thanks for the very good suggestions to resolve my issues.

I think a bad diode wouldn't let you reverse. Think it's your positioner. Put the voltmeter across the motor leads and check for voltage in each direction. Might be a stuck relay. A good BANG fixed one I had. On another I had to remove the cover and free the flapper.

Glad to hear you got it "figured". Might be able to find a replacement relay at digikey.com (although, I think their minimum is $25 if shipped)

Interesting. After banging it several times, the positioner works again. I'll see if digikey carries a similar relay by part number to what's in the VBox. This thing is only a few months old and it's misbehaving already. It's a good thing I gave it the what for ;)

Interesting. After banging it several times, the positioner works again. I'll see if digikey carries a similar relay by part number to what's in the VBox. This thing is only a few months old and it's misbehaving already. It's a good thing I gave it the what for ;)
A good thrashing! LOL

Hmmm. Just bought one of these myself. May mod it with better relays after the 14 day return ends.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)