No RF out on the HR20? (And other technical Q's)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Supporting Founder
I'm thinking of switching to D*, and their HR20 HD DVR. Currently, I have a Comcast 3412 that feeds my LCD HDTV via the HDMI output, a projector via the component output, and a bedroom TV via the coax RF out. My questions are these:

1. Does the HR20 even have an RF output? I didn't see one in a marketing picture.
2. If not, I suppose I could use one of the AV outs with an RF modulator. Are the AV outs always hot, even when connected to HDMI and/or Component?
3. Are the HDMI and Component both hot simultaneously? Or, do I need to go into a setup menu to select between them?

A few add'l tech questions about the HR20:

1. Will it function without a phone line connected?
2. Is the Ethernet port active? If so, can it be used in place of the phone line connection, for remote scheduling of the DVR, or media sharing on the home LAN?
3. Is the SATA port active, which I assume is for external storage?
4. Is the USB port active, which I suppose could be used for a keyboard for easy typing of searches, or for a USB wi-fi adapter?
5. Does D* have anything like E*'s DPP system, where I would only need to run one line to the dual-tuner receiver?

Thanks for your help.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
Here is the user guide for you in advance of your decision. It does not appear to have RF out.

Attachments

• HR20 User Guide.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 197

GaryPen

Supporting Founder
Thanks. I already saw that. However, if all outputs are hot, simultaneously, it should still be OK.

However, I could still use answers to the other questions, which aren't really answered in the manual. For instance, they label a number of ports "for future" use. However, I was wondering if they've been activated since the manual was created, and what the scuttlebutt is on their use, if not.

They also mentioned something called FTM, which seems to be like E*'s DPP system of one antenna cable for two tuners. But, they are not very clear or detailed in their description. Anybody familiar with this?

Lynskyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 12, 2005
Houston, Texas
1. Does the HR20 even have an RF output? I didn't see one in a marketing picture.
No
2. If not, I suppose I could use one of the AV outs with an RF modulator. Are the AV outs always hot, even when connected to HDMI and/or Component?
Yes
3. Are the HDMI and Component both hot simultaneously? Or, do I need to go into a setup menu to select between them?
Both hot simultaneously

A few add'l tech questions about the HR20:

1. Will it function without a phone line connected?
Yes
2. Is the Ethernet port active?
Yes
If so, can it be used in place of the phone line connection, for remote scheduling of the DVR, or media sharing on the home LAN?
No on the first 2, although this may be enabled in the future. Yes on the media sharing.
3. Is the SATA port active, which I assume is for external storage?
Yes
4. Is the USB port active, which I suppose could be used for a keyboard for easy typing of searches, or for a USB wi-fi adapter?
No, although it does have power. This might be enabled in the future
5. Does D* have anything like E*'s DPP system, where I would only need to run one line to the dual-tuner receiver?
No but it's supposed to be coming

texasbrit

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Apr 12, 2006
Q. Is the SATA port active, which I assume is for external storage?
A. Active but not fully usable yet. People have successfully connected storage to the SATA port but it REPLACES the internal storage, it's not additive. There is supposed to be additive external storage coming

Q. Does D* have anything like E*'s DPP system, where I would only need to run one line to the dual-tuner receiver?
A. It's DirecTVs FTM system, we are supposed to hear more about it in January

GaryPen

Supporting Founder
Sounds promising. Now that I no longer need TV Japan (I'm using a LocationFree server at the MIL's home in Japan), I'm no longer tied to C* or E* as my choices.

I'll take a wait-see approach on this HR20. It sounds like it's on the way to being a pretty good unit. It seems like D* has gone the E* route, and started releasing receivers well before they are ready. Too bad.

Any other bugs or anomalies in the HR20 I should know about?

cybok0

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 23, 2006
Sha Ka Ree.
I'm thinking of switching to D*, and their HR20 HD DVR. Currently, I have a Comcast 3412 that feeds my LCD HDTV via the HDMI output, a projector via the component output, and a bedroom TV via the coax RF out. My questions are these:

yes it does. check here. http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=69535&

GaryPen

Supporting Founder
I'm in no super rush. So, waiting another month or so for D* to roll out the other features on the HR20 is fine.

I was originally thinking about ATT/Dish Homezone. But, D*'s HR20with TC/Locals/HBO/HD seems to be about $30 cheaper than ATT/Dish with Homezone/HD Silver/Locals/HBO. ($20 cheaper than with the 622 instead of the HZ.)

GaryPen

Supporting Founder
Yes
Both hot simultaneously
So, if all the outputs are hot simultaneously, are the composite/s-video outs auto-downrezzed to 480i when tuned to HD, while the HDMI and Component put out HD rez at the same time? (My Comcast HD DVR works that way.)

cybok0

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 23, 2006
Sha Ka Ree.
I'm in no super rush. So, waiting another month or so for D* to roll out the other features on the HR20 is fine.

I was originally thinking about ATT/Dish Homezone. But, D*'s HR20with TC/Locals/HBO/HD seems to be about $30 cheaper than ATT/Dish with Homezone/HD Silver/Locals/HBO. ($20 cheaper than with the 622 instead of the HZ.)

I like Directv, I don't have HD but all in all I'm very happy with them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)