No satellite signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tom1

Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
North Carolina
I was wondering if anybody can help me before I go crazy. I have an older Directv dish, it has 1 LNB with 2 lines. I was wanting to add another receiver so I bought a splitter for satellite tv at Radio Shack. Called Directv added a receiver, and cut the splitter into one of the lines.

I thought it was going to work at first, but then I noticed I wasn't getting all channels on the 2 receivers on the splitter. But I could get them on the other one. So I unhooked the splitter and hooked it back the way it was. When I got back inside the house, neither one of the receivers was working now, the one I cut the splitter into or the one I didn't even touch. They both say searching for satellite signal.

Called Directv they said they would have to send out a tech.

It just doesn't make sense to me why neither one works now.

You MUST run one line to one receiver. NO splitters.

The LNB should have two (interchangeable) ports. Very old LNBs sometimes have only one.

Get a barrel connector to reconnect the line you cut...Each receiver should work with all channels & transponders. If not...it is the cable you are using, a fitting or the LNB is defective.

NO SPLITTERS between the dish and the receivers!

RESET your receivers...push the red button or unplug them for a minute. You may have bumped the dish out of alignment while working on it.

Joe

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies.

Hey Joe I put the line back together with a coupling but it still says searching for signal. Could I have fried the LNB with the splitter. Because the receiver I did nothing to doesn't work now either.

I am going to get a 3x4 multiswitch now if I can get it to working again.

Thanks again for the help.

Tommy

Thanks for the quick replies.

Hey Joe I put the line back together with a coupling but it still says searching for signal. Could I have fried the LNB with the splitter. Because the receiver I did nothing to doesn't work now either.

I am going to get a 3x4 multiswitch now if I can get it to working again.

Thanks again for the help.

Tommy

The splitter wouldn't damage the LNB but the receiver was only getting partial signal. It should come back with a reset. Make sure there are no shorts or debris in the fittings you cut.

Check the dish itself for alignment. Is it loose or has it been moved by your work? Repointing it to the satellite is not hard. Also check in the setup menu that the correct dish has been selected for both receivers.

You do not need the 3x4 unless you plan on more receivers or running SD recorders.

From what you said your rig should be running.

Joe

Last edited:
When you cut the line to add the splitter, what kind of connectors did you use? Crimp-on or compression? Crimp on work, just not very well. They are not approved by anyone anymore. Compression connectors are the only ones approved by DirecTV, Dish, and most cable companies....

If you have a strand of the outer conductor touching the center dialetric, you will have problems. You have to be careful stripping and putting on the connectors.

Just another thing to check.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts