No sound on SD channels, HD channels work fine. H21 box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stlpaul

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Hi,

I just got DirecTV installed yesterday. Due to DirecTV's computers being down the installer could not activate my service until a couple hours after he left. Around lunch time everything came on and signal strengths are 90+.

However, I'm having a weird problem on the H21 box which is hooked to my Philips HDTV -- when I go to a channel which is not HD, I get no sound at all, just picture. This happens more than half the time. The HD channels, however, have sound every time. If I change from one SD channel to another, the sound stays gone. I have to keep changing back and forth between an HD and an SD channel until I get sound. Very annoying, obviously.

I'm hooked up using HDMI and have tried native resolution as well as locking it to a specific resolution. It happens both ways.

Is this a problem with the box, incompatibility between the box and my TV, or what? I've never hooked up anything HDMI to this set before, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I've installed the latest firmware for my TV, and the H21 says it is running version 0x4062.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks!

On your HR21,Go into your "settings Menu" and under audio settings and try turning of Dolby Digital. And see if that works. What Model Philips TV and What is the Firmware version? I have a Ambilight 42PFL7432D. I had the same problem and I turned the Dolby Digital off ,And its been fine ever since. My Sony has had a similar problem with this as well ,just not as much.

On your HR21,Go into your "settings Menu" and under audio settings and try turning of Dolby Digital. And see if that works. What Model Philips TV and What is the Firmware version? I have a Ambilight 42PFL7432D. I had the same problem and I turned the Dolby Digital off ,And its been fine ever since. My Sony has had a similar problem with this as well ,just not as much.

Hi,

I just tried it both ways, but it still has the same problem. :(

I have the 42PFL7422D/37 ... which I believe is the exact same TV as you without the ambilight feature. My firmware is version 0.64.14.11 which I think came out last year sometime.

Hi,

I just tried it both ways, but it still has the same problem. :(

I have the 42PFL7422D/37 ... which I believe is the exact same TV as you without the ambilight feature. My firmware is version 0.64.14.11 which I think came out last year sometime.
Try resetting your receiver and Turn off your TV for a minute.

Next try Component cables. Its not as bad as you think. I can Hardly tell the difference when I tried it for a little while. But with everything else thats hooked up to mine ,that didn't have an HDMI option, I switched mine back To HDMI. That Firmware is the newest. But There is Issues for some reason with Philips TV and D* receivers. Most of the firmware updates are to address Directv Receiver problems hooked to HDMI.

I just rebooted the box, same problem. HOWEVER -- I made a discovery. If I change the TV to an over-the-air station and switch it back to DTV, the sound works... so I think it's a compatibility problem between the DTV box and my TV. :(

As far as the HDMI cable, I'm using the one that came with the box. The installer took all of the extra cables with him when he left, so I don't have any component cables.

I will e-mail both DTV and Philips about it. I fully expect both of them to blame the other. This really sucks. :(

Well, I don't mean to keep replying to myself, but it seems there is a new firmware for this TV on Philips website! The file inside the ZIP is dated April 18th. I'm going to try installing it now. Cross fingers. :)

As far as the HDMI cable, I'm using the one that came with the box. The installer took all of the extra cables with him when he left, so I don't have any component cables.

Hmmm; I would surely call in and report this and get your paid for items back. These are stolen items IMHO>

The firmware update seems to have helped a little, but it still happens.

As far as the cables, the manual that came with the receiver says that if you had a professional installation, the installer will provide the necessary cables and none will be included with the receivers. I guess I should have asked for some extras when he was here.

I think by that they were talking about the RG6, NOT the unit patch/connection to the TV and stuff.

Maybe... I mentioned it in my e-mail to DTV, we'll see what they say. :)

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys. If I get a useful response from anyone at DTV or Philips I'll let you know.

Let us know. About the Firmware as well. Good luck with the Philips. I've had mine about 4 months and I live it. . Not Quite as Good as My 52 XBR5 Sony But it didn't cost $4000 either.

I have the 47" version of the same TV and I have the same problem. I just cut off the TV and cut it back on and will work for a while. Let me know what you find out. I think it is definitely something with this model TV though, but it didn't start happening until D* updated the firmware. I have since had two D* updates since and still no fix.

I have the 47" version of the same TV and I have the same problem. I just cut off the TV and cut it back on and will work for a while. Let me know what you find out. I think it is definitely something with this model TV though, but it didn't start happening until D* updated the firmware. I have since had two D* updates since and still no fix.
Like I said ,Turning off the Dolby Digital worked on my HR20. But as I said my Sony this happend too as well a few times. Its Directv problem too.. Not just Philips or Sony. Something in their software must not be that compatible. E* receivers I've not had an issue with sound what so ever.

Well Philips has not responded at all yet (in my imagination, they have forwarded it to the firmware programmers and they are diligently working on a solution... yeah, right!) and DTV sadly pretty much gave me a blow-off response. Basically "unplug it for 15 seconds and then plug it back in, and if that doesn't work call in to the 800 number and ask them about it".

Not related to this problem, but the TV also makes a constant high-pitched whine when it's turned off (which, being in my bedroom, was almost enough to make me return it - I often have to unplug it from the wall so I can get to sleep) and it also makes an occasional loud humming noise that seems to become louder or quieter in direct relation to the contrast level at the moment. Sometimes it's loud enough that I can't hear what people are saying on the TV (I usually have the volume around the 25-35 range). The humming is the same volume even when the TV is muted. It sounds like it's coming from the rear-right part of the TV. Do you guys have these same problems? I was willing to live with those problems, but this sound thing might be the last straw. Maybe this is the reason why it was so cheap.

Or maybe I could get a different DTV box? I'm not sure if there's any difference between the versions or if they all run the same software as far as this problem is concerned.

Does DTV have a money-back period, like cell phones do? If I cancel in the first month (or whatever) will they waive the cancellation fees?

The new Philips firmware does not have a changelog in the README like the previous versions did, so I'm not sure what's new in this release.

It seems nobody implements HDMI in exactly the same way and there are several versions and revisions of what "HDMI" actually means to different people.

Not related to this problem, but the TV also makes a constant high-pitched whine when it's turned off (which, being in my bedroom, was almost enough to make me return it - I often have to unplug it from the wall so I can get to sleep) and it also makes an occasional loud humming noise that seems to become louder or quieter in direct relation to the contrast level at the moment. Sometimes it's loud enough that I can't hear what people are saying on the TV (I usually have the volume around the 25-35 range). The humming is the same volume even when the TV is muted. It sounds like it's coming from the rear-right part of the TV. Do you guys have these same problems? I was willing to live with those problems, but this sound thing might be the last straw. Maybe this is the reason why it was so cheap.

Something isn't correct. Check all of your connections DVD,VCR, Make sure all your connections are correct. The humming noise is NOT normal. My Philips TV makes no abnormal noises what so ever when its off or muted Or when watching regular TV. Sound like some type of problem, or incorrect connection.

I have read several other reviews online where people complain about the same noises. Some said they've gotten it fixed by having the power supply and/or main board replaced in the TV.

So, after 4 days Philips finally replied to my email... It did not address any part of my e-mail. All it said was that I should call them. So annoying. DTV and Philips both get an F for customer service so far from me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)