no sound on SD channels

Auric3

Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Illinois
New (remanufactured) Dishnetwork VIP211k receiver connected with new HDMI cable to new Hitachi 40" HD TV 1080 (model LE40S508), using a 500 dish antenna (1000.2 antenna installation scheduled in a couple of days).

(The same TV connected to a DP311 receiver has sound OK on all SD channels via RCA connectors.)

The sound is fine on HD channels but there is no sound on SD channels. Googling indicates this is a common problem but I didn't see a fix offhand. I've tried resetting the system, no joy.

Is there a fix?

FWIW I have my VIP 211k set to:
Volume leveling - enable
Decoder - Dolby Digital/PCM
Mode - RF

I am getting audio on all otputs. HDMI, Optical, Line(RCA plugs), and ch3 rf output all work.

New (remanufactured) Dishnetwork VIP211k receiver connected with new HDMI cable to new Hitachi 40" HD TV 1080 (model LE40S508), using a 500 dish antenna (1000.2 antenna installation scheduled in a couple of days).

(The same TV connected to a DP311 receiver has sound OK on all SD channels via RCA connectors.)

The sound is fine on HD channels but there is no sound on SD channels. Googling indicates this is a common problem but I didn't see a fix offhand. I've tried resetting the system, no joy.

Is there a fix?

It sounds like your TV is set to decode Dolby Digital but NOT accept PCM audio. I'm not sure the TV has that capability but do know some A/V receivers (like the Pioneer I have) do. If there is such a setting, the TV should be set to AUTO.

If you switch the satellite receiver to PCM (only as a test), and you loose audio on the HD channels as well, then it must be in the TV somewhere.

The best settings are:

PCM/Dolby
Volume leveling off (This really only applies to PCM audio so leaving it on may be useful. Your milage may vary.)
Mode: Line (RF does some compression, but again only if the audio leaving the receiver is PCM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)