No Way That Could Work! -The FTA Mad Scientist Thread-

Status
Please reply by conversation.
One of the most interesting antennas that we have tested is the LX2000 tube antenna. The unit is linear polarity, 30 inches in length and the gain is equal to a 50cm dish.

Ok Brain and when will that be available to purchase from your site? :D

Just kidding man, that looks like a Semi Truck Air Horn! Is it real popular over there in the UK for the SkyDigital users? Looks like The Pulsat LX2000 would still not be an alternative to the good old fashion dish size standard. How did it perform here in the states?

That is very interesting, love to try something like that just to have something different to try! Here is what I found out on The Pulsat LX2000!

Brian, since I used a Invacom on today’s experiments an I know you had somewhat a hand in it’s development, would say it is the reason I got such good numbers on the project, what is your input on how it worked on such a small reflector?

Your input is very welcome!

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

I have been curious about the different types of surfaces and mirrors. I am wondering if a person can create something like a holographic dish where some of the signal would reflect into the lnb while some would penetrate it and allow it to go to another one behind it to reflect to another lnb? How well do mirrors reflect signals? Could you put a mirror up and bounce the signal into the house or bounce off different mirrors?

I have been curious about the different types of surfaces and mirrors. I am wondering if a person can create something like a holographic dish where some of the signal would reflect into the lnb while some would penetrate it and allow it to go to another one behind it to reflect to another lnb? How well do mirrors reflect signals? Could you put a mirror up and bounce the signal into the house or bounce off different mirrors?

Now we are getting into some Mad stuff here! This is a great concept Stargazer, and you got me thinking as well! I was hoping this thread would get us guys together with our caps on! Holographic dish, wow I never thought of something like that but would be a blast to try! Now mirrors reflect light we all know but will they reflect signal?

Something that some kind of field analyzer sounds to be used here. Of course I have no idea just it sounds more technical now! You would think you would need something that could see signal to shape it off the mirrors!

We know signal can bounce off metal since it is a form of radio signal. I don’t know about a mirror! Now if this is possible just think what you could do with that! Boy that would take those long cable runs and make them a thing of the past! I would like to know if it could work!

I think we need to know basic satellite reception or not necessarily that in itself but theory in depth, the how the signal comes off the dish, how it is focused into the LNB, and even basic satellite to earth ways of transmission in depth.

Would be nice to know the default power levels of the DBS birds and linear. We all know how it works in simple theory but digging deeper on the fundamentals to actual theory and understanding the full concept to the uplink, transmission to the satellite, then to receiver.

If the bounce idea can be used it would come down to signal loss through the bounce or if the signal would be compromised in any way before it gets to the LNB.

Would the rain affect it?

Would the sun or bight sunlight affect it?

What about using mirrors in bright sunlight moving around close to or direct sunlight, would that be dangerous?

Interesting post Stargazer! :up

Great ideas rolling here that can be implemented into reality on some of these ideas so far!

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Is it real popular over there in the UK for the SkyDigital users? Looks like The Pulsat LX2000 would still not be an alternative to the good old fashion dish size standard. How did it perform here in the states?

It is not very popular as it does not receive multiple satellites. The manufacturer claims were highly over exaggerated, but the European forums findings mirror our testing. The unit performed similar to any undersized dish. While the unit performs well in the main footprints of the stronger European birds, it did not perform well enough for us to consider importation for use with the North American FSS birds. The performance was adequate for stronger TPs. Example performance was that only four transponders on Galaxy 25 provided reliable performance. Had a difficult time determining the beamwidth, but estimate it to be approximately 3 degrees.

Brian, since I used a Invacom on today’s experiments an I know you had somewhat a hand in it’s development, would say it is the reason I got such good numbers on the project, what is your input on how it worked on such a small reflector?

The stability, low noise and superior isolation would certainly be a factor, but I would expect similar results from any standard DBS/DSS LNBF in the main footprints. At an installation workshop, I once used a piece of tin foil stretched on a windshield and handheld an LNBF to lock several DBS satellites. The circular polarity high power satellites are a breeze to lock. FSS on the other hand......

The interesting thing about the CD is that while it appears to be a flat surface in fact it is designed to allow a laser beam to penetrate it and operate on the inside of the disk creating pits and lands. There is a reflective layer which will bounce a lot of stuff back but if you get reflection from the edges of pits and lands then there is a slight convexity to the surface. In fact it is a slight movement towards the Fresnel lens.

If this is right then you should get different reception from a CD with Bach's Cantatas written on it than Beatles.

The interesting thing about the CD is that while it appears to be a flat surface in fact it is designed to allow a laser beam to penetrate it and operate on the inside of the disk creating pits and lands. There is a reflective layer which will bounce a lot of stuff back but if you get reflection from the edges of pits and lands then there is a slight convexity to the surface. In fact it is a slight movement towards the Fresnel lens.

If this is right then you should get different reception from a CD with Bach's Cantatas written on it than Beatles.

Ha ha ha.......I can just see the threads now.........."It was a tough decision, do I give up my favorite Jethro Tull CD just because it gives me maximum signal strength or do I save it for listening to?"

Perhaps dual layer DVDs or Blu Ray might work even better! Someone get on it!
It may be a perfect use for all those HD-DVDs left out there.

That's reflective aluminum layer works here, so turn around it - use labeled side.

Counting not that significant increase surface ( actually you'll need calculate a ratio of LNBF open throat and the CD surfaces ), you should get signal for just pointing the LNBF - don't forget to swap polarity.

It may be a perfect use for all those HD-DVDs left out there.

Blasphemy! :eek: Many of us purple people still have (and use) a large library of HD-DVDs ;) Since they are now so cheap, however, it might not be a bad idea to buy a few extra copies in the name of science...

I've found him!

The ultimate FTA Mad Scientist!
(with apologies to Ice)
;)

(Please excuse the poor MSPaint chop job!)

Attachments

• SatGuyMadScientist.JPG
    SatGuyMadScientist.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 163
That is awesome FTABman0! This is definately a fun thread which should stimulate others to try designing smaller dishes which could work in capturing the signals from those birds. I once tried making a dish out of a lid for an 8-10" pan, but I didn't have a real LNB to test it with. I'm impressed that you can make a dish out of a Snuff can and a CD-R. What about something like a solar cigarette lighter? Those are also small and they have a parabolic surface.

So, you think we could get the whole arc using an old car windshield (reflective coating on the original "outside" ) with an LNB array in front? It's parabolic (sort of).

What a Redneck rig that would be!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts