Node laying on ground

To the OP. Guess you want your birdsnest of wire cleaned up and new lines run free? So the new tech coming out, if contractor, will only be paid $40 for the visit. If it were me coming out, id only be giving you an estimate on what my charge would be to clean that up. Tv working fine? Then shut the crawl space door and get back on the couch with your remote!

Excuse me. It wasn't like that till Dish installed. I want their mess cleaned up. The only new wire I want is the one the tech cut and spliced in two places. That's not to much to ask. But I guess that's how you do your installs. It wasn't done right and I want it fixed. Simple as that

Posted from my iPhone.

Excuse me. It wasn't like that till Dish installed. I want their mess cleaned up. The only new wire I want is the one the tech cut and spliced in two places. That's not to much to ask. But I guess that's how you do your installs. It wasn't done right and I want it fixed. Simple as that

Posted from my iPhone.

agree with you..........you paid for a clean install, not something that will cause you problems later on

Tech has been here for about 2 hours now. Found numerous things that were done wrong. The pole for the dish didn't even have cement to hold it in place. He pulled it out of the ground with his hands. Some of the cable used under the house was wrong and had to be replaced. It's sad this guy had to come out and fix something that was done wrong by a fellow tech. Said the tech that did my install has been in trouble for these very same things. Glad that it is fixed and I won't have to worry about it anymore!

Posted from my iPhone.

This is the way it should have been done
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1368800815.026196.jpg

Posted from my iPhone.

To the OP. Guess you want your birdsnest of wire cleaned up and new lines run free? So the new tech coming out, if contractor, will only be paid $40 for the visit. If it were me coming out, id only be giving you an estimate on what my charge would be to clean that up. Tv working fine? Then shut the crawl space door and get back on the couch with your remote!

With that attitude, you wouldn't be in business very long.

Glad you got your issue taken care of. I was a Dish Tech for 2 years and always hated cleaning up others poor workmanship. But it wasn't the customers fault. So I was never rude to them.

Enjoy that Hopper, I know I love my two Hoppers w/Sling!

And I can tell you from personal experience that as Dish would find your attitude and solution UNACCEPTABLE. Dish will send someone who will make this a proper install. Dish has pulled cable from such installs unprofessional installs (personal experience) if necessary because they are trying to stand behind their promise of PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION, not a rat's nest.

And your estimate of charges (also from personal experience) could be escalated at Dish not to your favor. You are exactly what's wrong with virtually all Dish contractors: Lazy, greedy, lying, incompetents who have no pride in workmanship nor any care for the customer who always leaves a big install mess for Dish Corp to clean-up. This is what hurts Dish in general because most people don't know the difference between a contractor and company installers. No wonder so many displeased customers with their installs. In fact, quality of tech and install is really the only crap-shoot that can DOOM a new account I've set up. I've had to throw one of your types out of the house because he wanted to shake the customer down for cash for services that are, in fact, been part of the original install--yes, more complicated, but always included in the upgrade rarte--(PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION--not DYI amateur mess like the work you do and the OP has suffered), just as you had suggested you would handle the OP's case. Please stop installing Dish and stick to DirecTV.

Last edited:
Glad you got your issue taken care of. I was a Dish Tech for 2 years and always hated cleaning up others poor workmanship. But it wasn't the customers fault. So I was never rude to them.

Enjoy that Hopper, I know I love my two Hoppers w/Sling!

Thank you! I really didn't think I was asking much to just have the mess that was made cleaned up. I talked to my dad who came over while the system was being install and he said the guy was in a little blue truck... So we all know that means a contractor. The guy that came out and did the clean up was in house. I can promise you this I will not allow another contractor to touch my system. In house only!

Posted from my iPhone.

And I can tell you from personal experience that as Dish would find your attitude and solution UNACCEPTABLE. Dish will send someone who will make this a proper install. Dish has pulled cable from such installs unprofessional installs (personal experience) if necessary because they are trying to stand behind their promise of PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION, not a rat's nest.

And your estimate of charges (also from personal experience) could be escalated at Dish not to your favor. You are exactly what's wrong with virtually all Dish contractors: Lazy, greedy, lying, incompetents who have no pride in workmanship nor any care for the customer who always leaves a big install mess for Dish Corp to clean-up. This is what hurts Dish in general because most people don't know the difference between a contractor and company installers. No wonder so many displeased customers with their installs. In fact, quality of tech and install is really the only crap-shoot that can DOOM a new account I've set up. I've had to throw one of your types out of the house because he wanted to shake the customer down for cash for services that are, in fact, been part of the original install--yes, more complicated, but always included in the upgrade rarte--(PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION--not DYI amateur mess like the work you do and the OP has suffered), just as you had suggested you would handle the OP's case. Please stop installing Dish and stick to DirecTV.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Posted from my iPhone.

There is bad quality work happening on both sides of the fence.

As a retailer/contractor for the better part of 20 yrs be aware of the fact that there are many good non inhouse installers out there that do take pride in what they do & go above/beyond.

As a rule of thumb I never let anyone do work for me without being there, unless I know them. I can usually tell within a very short time if someone is competent or not. I also participate, help & take complete charge. If they don't like it I send them packing.

My house, my way......I give everyone benefit of the doubt until proven differently.

As a retailer/contractor for the better part of 20 yrs be aware of the fact that there are many good non inhouse installers out there that do take pride in what they do & go above/beyond.

As a rule of thumb I never let anyone do work for me without being there, unless I know them. I can usually tell within a very short time if someone is competent or not. I also participate, help & take complete charge. If they don't like it I send them packing.

My house, my way......I give everyone benefit of the doubt until proven differently.

I did qualify my remarks with a "virtually," but I agree that there are some good contractors out there. I have one that has done quality work. I should make clear that my experiences are in the Los Angeles metro area, and other parts of the USA may have much higher numbers of good contractors, so I salute those and you. The unfortunate thing is that in really big metro areas, we have tons of shady types in all manner of businesses, and unfortunately, they are in high numbers who contract install for Dish and DirecTV. As a rule, around here, and I mean well about a 100 mile radius of Los Angeles, contractors do barely adequate to poor and shoddy installs, and can be dishonest far too often, and it is the Dish company installers who almost always provide an excellent install and are NICER people, as well.

I think the the good, well mannered and honest folk are in places between New York and Los Angeles, and I LOVE them, and am certain contractors there do far better jobs than around here, and I mean even awful installs way out in Temecula about 100 miles away form downtown Los Angeles (my aunt's HORROR install that got fixed by a different tech). In the LA metro area, be ready for a Dish contractor to try anything. Lots of Dish and DirecTV installs here to employ armies of installers, so the parade of clowns never ends.

That is true. I didn't think of it that way! I'll just start following them and leading the way!

Posted from my iPhone.

Thank you! I really didn't think I was asking much to just have the mess that was made cleaned up. I talked to my dad who came over while the system was being install and he said the guy was in a little blue truck... So we all know that means a contractor. The guy that came out and did the clean up was in house. I can promise you this I will not allow another contractor to touch my system. In house only!

Posted from my iPhone.

And of course you gave this new tech a generous tip for cleaning up the mess and virtually not getting paid right? I don't think ALL of that was a Dish issue ...

One of the problems is that the tech's are not paid enough in the first place ... a crappy $40 to drive there, do the work and furnish material ... that's not much $$ IMO. Even $100 would be marginal.

Yes, I have given two tech's a decent tip for doing a good job and I ran one tech off and told them to not come back.

And of course you gave this new tech a generous tip for cleaning up the mess and virtually not getting paid right? I don't think ALL of that was a Dish issue ...

One of the problems is that the tech's are not paid enough in the first place ... a crappy $40 to drive there, do the work and furnish material ... that's not much $$ IMO. Even $100 would be marginal.

Yes, I have given two tech's a decent tip for doing a good job and I ran one tech off and told them to not come back.

I know what was there before the tech came out. Even if the wires were there they should clean them up or at least hide them. And put cement on the pole that holds the dish so it doesn't fall over like mine was doing. Also the tech should've hung the node and splitter and grounded the damn thing. He didn't even do that.

I really don't care if they are only paid $40 for the call its their job to do GOOD work they applied to be a tech not me. Yes they should make more but I can't help they don't and that doesn't give them a right to come to my house and do sh!tty work! I don't do a sh!tty job at my place of work because I only make 12.50 an hour. I do the best job I can.

Posted from my iPhone.

I know what was there before the tech came out. Even if the wires were there they should clean them up or at least hide them. And put cement on the pole that holds the dish so it doesn't fall over like mine was doing. Also the tech should've hung the node and splitter and grounded the damn thing. He didn't even do that.

I really don't care if they are only paid $40 for the call its their job to do GOOD work they applied to be a tech not me. Yes they should make more but I can't help they don't and that doesn't give them a right to come to my house and do sh!tty work! I don't do a sh!tty job at my place of work because I only make 12.50 an hour. I do the best job I can.

Posted from my iPhone.

All the more reason to give the folks a tip or appreciation ....

As an RSP in iowa, I get to live in that grey area no mans land of not in house (no inhouse techs in iowa), but not full contractor. We know the retail offices that do shoddy work & advise our customers to avoid going to them unless its something they MUST have like RIGHT NOW due to the quality of work & possible extra charges. My office already does almost same-day appointments. If you call before about 10 am and we're not completely swamped, there's a good chance someone will be there that afternoon.
As for tips, we all know that Dish policy is that techs aren't suppose to accept them even though we techs still do (what happens in the field...). I routinely have customers ask how much they owe me. I always say with a joking smile & tone "Dish handles all bills electronically. Any money you give me does NOT go to Dish." Tips are nice, yes, but I NEVER expect them no matter how much work I had to do on a customer's house. I try to treat every system as if it were being installed on my own house. Because of this, I've had a couple systems I had to rebuild virtually from the ground up because of a shoddy tech. It sucks, yeah, but I know if that customer ever has problems, it is likely NOT from my work. Plus they're that much more likely to request I come back in the future.
Oh, & the best thing to give me as a tip is food lol. Best one was when a rancher gave me 2 lbs of pork chops just butchered a couple days before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)