Noise and Line issues

jlambert1982

Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Arkansas
My first post is a problem that doesn't make any sense to me. I am a tech guy, not an AV guy, but I'm learning.

I recently upgraded my 3 year old 46" LCD Samsung to a 55" LED Samsung and now I am having some issues. I have my HD Sat box, Blu Ray player, Xbox 360, and Apple TV all going HDMI to my receiver and one HDMI from my receiver to my TV. My previous tv used a 45 foot HDMI run with the same setup, and worked fine. Now I have just a 6 foot HDMI cable and I'm getting static or white lines on my display.

Must be the TV, right? Well when I go straight from any of my sources and take the receiver out of the picture, all is good.

Do HDMI posts on quality receivers just crap out?
Is it possible that when moving around my setup I accidentally exposed my cabling to interference? I try and keep my cabling neat but i can't gurantee my HDMI bunch isn't closer to the power cords that usual.
The tv is plugged up to a different outlet. Could there be a power conditioning issue with it? I tried my old tv and didn't notice anything from that outlet, but could it be a tolerance level on the television?

If someone could please help me make an educated guess of where to start troubleshooting, it would be appreciated.

Hi jlambert and welcome to the forum :welcome

You gave us most of what we need to help, except for the model of receiver. That would be helpful.

I don't think it is the TV, but I do have a few questions. Was the 46" TV 1080P, or 720P? You could be having issues because the resolution increased, causing issues with a lower standard HDMI.

When you directly connected the BluRay player, did you try it with both cables? I am leaning toward a bad cable here. Try the other cable and confirm it is still good.

If it is, you need to look at the receiver. Many receivers allow you to specify output resolution. Try other settings and see if the problem goes away. If it is an older receiver, it may be strictly passthrough on video and some couldn't handle 1080p. You might need to lower output resolution in that case on the player to 1080i or 720P. Not ideal.

Give those a try and get back to us with the results. That will give us more to go on.

I have 2 month old 1.3 hdmi cables from monoprice and brand new out of the box 1.4 cables from monoprice. Same issue with both. Tried an older HDMI that came from Apple with my AppleTV (don't know the brand). I'm typing this from work and can't remember the exact model number of the receiver (I'm thinking it was a VSX-33?) It's a Pioneer Elite series receiver.

OK. I assume that the issue is happening with each of the HDMI inputs, so we have to look at the receiver and the output connections. This receiver has two output connectors. Have you tried both? Is there a way to turn one of them off? If so, try that.

Some of the reviewers said it works best when everything is passed through at 1080P. Make sure in the setup menus that you are not forcing a resolution conversion, but using the auto functions. If auto isn't available or working, try forcing the output resolution to various values and see how it changes.

Apparently there is a firmware update available for the VSX-33. Might try that. It is described here: Pioneer Elite VSX-32 / 33 Owners' Thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum

You might want to look at post #651 in that thread. It talks about turning off a "video conversion feature - v.conv" Also look at post #655 for a technical follow-up.

I gave bad info. Went home at lunch and checked. Mine is the VSX-32. Definitely not another HDMI output that I can see, sorry to have you working on the wrong equipment.

I really think it must be the receiver, except that the receiver worked with the other television. Maybe pulling off the 45 foot hdmi and putting on the shorter cable damaged the hdmi input.

I'm headed to Florida over the weekend, but when I get back I'll bring other TV's and hook them up to the receiver and see. I've got all my inputs hooked up to the tv and it looks great, I just am missing surround sound.

Thanks for the quick help. I really would have been on hold with Samsung or in line at the local AV store longer than it took to register and post on here and get a reply.

Look into that thread on AVS, as it is good for both the 32 and 33. I'd still look into the discussion on post #651. Can't hurt.

Best of luck, and hope to see you back here.

The condition you describe could be a bad ground issue. It could be the equipment grounds or in the electric service.