non factory file for Coolsat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pitman1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Lightning Capital
was looking for a newer non factory file for a Coolsat 8100, anybody out there got one. Looking for additional features, losing obnoxious tuning sound and a hope of better channel sorting!

If I had a Coolsat 8000 or 8100, then saying I'd never heard of such file would carry a lot more weight. :)

The main reason there is a non-factory FTA-support file for the Coolsat 5000 & 6000, is because the source was released into the wild.
A number of individuals took up the challenge, and made useful improvements.
Examples are in our own firmware repository here on SatGuys.

Third party firmware for any receiver is generally limited to and optimized for hacking, often ignoring FTA requirements like better motor or disqc switch support.
So called hack-ware is unlikely to improve your receiver for FTA functions.

Of course, I'd be happy to be proven wrong! ;)
edit: 3rd party hack-ware is mentioned in this related thread:
coolsat 8100 file extension
I think asking there would have been prudent. :)

Last edited:
the older hackerware only did two things
-allow diseqc 1.1
-removes that annoying tone (which sounds like something you want)

all I want is better channel sorting ie.. sorting without the sid channel number attached. thought a 3rd party file might have addressed that since the factory files do not. I also have a coolsat 4K which had alot more features on the firmware and allowed you to remove those sid channel numbers. Looking for suggestions.

I dont know if the 8000/8100 sort that way (normally). I know with my 8000 it would sort by satellite so I would set up the satellites from E to W so they were in somewhat order

does dishnet own coolsat now ? maybe email them and ask for support. haha. crazy you gotta run hack s@#$ to get new features.

crackt out,.

sadly in the case of the Coolsat 8000/8100 the factory was basically hackerware minus the stealing part.
I had an old receiver like that. Had a digiwave 6800 clone years ago and the old hackerware gave the receiver USALS and AC-3. Factory was Diseqc 1.2 only and no AC-3. Since the software gave me n extra channels I had no issue loading it to gain those 2 features :)

I just go in the sorting menu on my 8000 and change it from sid to transponder after each scan. I wish transponder was the default. If I leave it on sid the channels are all scattered around the list but the transponder setting keeps them grouped by satellite.

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

yes, it sorts that way normally. I tried the other options as well, still leaves the sid in front of channel name. The problem with this is you wind up with the same channel number for multiple channels on the same sat. I just scanned Cband SATMEX 5 and I have 7 or 8 channels labeled 0001. I was just hoping there was a way to get the channels into numeric order and not start off every freq. with 0001 all over again. On the CS4K you can actually do that. I never would have thought that the manufacturer would take a step backwards, but that is exactly what they have done. Thanks for the feedback guys, I can see this will not be my primary receiver. I still havn't found a receiver that is all around better than the SV8K. This cs8100k will be 4 sale soon. I guess I will be trying my luck with the AZUltra even though from what I have read I better not expect too much.

Yeah that's the other thing I disliked about this box. The channel indication is useless. It's a great machine otherwise!

... On the CS4K you can actually do that. I never would have thought that the manufacturer would take a step backwards, but that is exactly what they have done. ...
You'll notice the menu system and overall operation of the two are totally different.
I don't think any of the CS 4000/5000/6000 engineering went into the 8000/8100.
From what I recall, they just bought it as a done-deal from a totally different factory, and slapped the Coolsat label on it.

for me thats a pretty big negative and a dealbuster. I may keep it on hand just for s2, maybe we'll see. Right now it's back to the SV8K for regular every day use. I guess I just expect too much from these boxes that apparently are designed for pirates and are not what they really appear to be.

You'll notice the menu system and overall operation of the two are totally different.
I don't think any of the CS 4000/5000/6000 engineering went into the 8000/8100.
From what I recall, they just bought it as a done-deal from a totally different factory, and slapped the Coolsat label on it.

It would appear that way. IMO this box rates a C- borderline D. I am shocked at how it gets rave reviews, makes me wonder if I'm missing something. I would not recommend this receiver for everyday use.

it does S2
it has a OTA tuner in it
the 8100 allows you to record OTA if you wat
its rather inexpensive to pick up one
motor option is bang on

Those reasons right there are why folks do give it decent reviews

But yeah the channel numbering sucks but I got use to it. I've got a receiever that shows the SID channel number regardless of setting. So it looks weird ot see
etc

That's what I like about my Pansat 9200. The channels start at 1 and continue up in order for as many channels you scan in, with no duplicate numbering.

pitman1 said:
I can see this will not be my primary receiver. This cs8100k will be 4 sale soon. I guess I will be trying my luck with the AZUltra even though from what I have read I better not expect too much.

If you decide to sell it PM me. :)

it does S2
it has a OTA tuner in it
the 8100 allows you to record OTA if you wat
its rather inexpensive to pick up one
motor option is bang on

Those reasons right there are why folks do give it decent reviews

But yeah the channel numbering sucks but I got use to it. I've got a receiever that shows the SID channel number regardless of setting. So it looks weird ot see
etc

You make some good points noting all of those features so I'll bump it up to a B-. The channel numbering prevents this receiver from being more fluid and seemless. Also, the processer speed is slow compared to a SV8K.

That's what I like about my Pansat 9200. The channels start at 1 and continue up in order for as many channels you scan in, with no duplicate numbering.

Exactly. The SV works same way. It should be mandatory or standard fare.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)